No heat.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How to enable the repair procedure. I have ELM327 and ForScan. I do not see any option to turn on 3 engines at once. Maybe there is some other than ForScan program?

I believe only Ford's IDS software that the dealer has can do this. If you figure out how to do it without the IDS software please let us know.

You meant that "re-post" request for another person, probably for jmueller065.
I did find a file I downloaded in Jan. 2017 called "Lesson-3-Cooling-System.pdf" ... but do not see how to attach it here!

I'm back with the same issue Sebus has. No heat, DTC code of p0cea:00-08. no test for touching the coolant pumps.

And the kicker, battery was replaced about 10k ago. No one has touched the coolant. But i also don't see the coolant in the bottle mixing ever. It's about 60 degrees here and oddly the radiator gets hot, fan even kicks on. Like the pump circuits are running backwards. The engine fan kicks on, cools the radiator then kicks off. In my poking around with another ODB2 reader in the HV port I tripped all sorts of DTCs. I clear everything and that coolant dtc popped right back. I can see the heater element kick on in the climate dash and all the fuses are fine in the underhood distro block.

This is what the service manual says:
-----------------------------------------
P0CE9:00, P0CEA:00, P0CEA:12, P0CEA:14

Diagnostics in this manual assume a certain skill level and knowledge of Ford-specific diagnostic practices.
REFER to: Diagnostic Methods (100-00 General Information, Description and Operation).

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 23 for schematic and connector information.
Normal Operation and Fault Conditions

The cabin heater coolant pump is a 12-volt pump which can operate at variable speeds. The PCM provides a PWM signal to the pump and monitors this signal by monitoring a diagnostic circuit input. The cabin heater coolant pump provides coolant to the battery pack to keep the battery warm by providing warm coolant and to keep the battery cool as it begins to generate heat.

Possible Sources

Connectors damaged or pushed-out terminals, corrosion, loose wires and missing or damaged seals
Cabin heater coolant pump
BJB fuse 36 (20A)
PCM
NOTE: If electric motor coolant pump and battery pack coolant pump Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are set, inspect the BJB fuse 36 (20A) for an open.

DTC Fault Trigger Conditions

DTC Description Fault Trigger Conditions
P0CE9:00 Hybrid/EV Electronics Coolant Pump Control Circuit/Open The PCM detects a short to power, ground or an open on the PWM output.
P0CEA:00 Hybrid/EV Electronics Coolant Pump Control Performance The PCM detects a short to power, ground or an open on the PWM output.
P0CEA:12 Hybrid/EV Electronics Coolant Pump Control Performance Short to Battery The PCM detects a 100% duty cycle on the diagnostic input.
P0CEA:14 Hybrid/EV Electronics Coolant Pump Control Performance Short to Ground or Open The PCM detects a 0% duty cycle on the diagnostic input.

PINPOINT TEST W : P0CE9:00, P0CEA:00, P0CEA:12, P0CEA:14
W1 RETRIEVE AND RECORD ALL DTCS
Connect the diagnostic tool.
Using the scan tool, retrieve all Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

Is DTC P0CE9:00, P0CEA:00, P0CEA:12 and/or P0CEA:14 set?

Yes For Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0CE9:00 and P0CEA:00, GO to W2 For DTC P0CEA:12, GO to W7 For DTC P0CEA:14, GO to W8
No GO to Symptom Chart.

W2 CHECK THE CABIN HEATER COOLANT PUMP POWER CIRCUIT <-- Every instance of cabin heater pump could be electric motor pump
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect Cabin Heater Coolant Pump C1813 .
Ignition ON.
Measure the voltage between.

Positive Lead Measurement / Action Negative Lead
C1813-1 voltage Ground

Is voltage greater than 10.5 volts?

Yes GO to W3
No REPAIR the circuit.

W3 CHECK THE CABIN HEATER COOLANT PUMP GROUND CIRCUIT

C1813-1 voltage C1813-2

Is voltage greater than 10.5 volts?

Yes GO to W4
No REPAIR the circuit.

W4 CHECK THE CABIN HEATER COOLANT PUMP PULSE WIDTH MODULATION (PWM) CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect Powertrain Control Module (PCM) C175B .
Measure the resistance between.

C175B-11 resistance C1813-3

Is the resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes GO to W5
No REPAIR the circuit.

W5 CHECK THE CABIN HEATER COOLANT PUMP PULSE WIDTH MODULATION (PWM) CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

C175B-11 resistance Ground

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes GO to W6
No REPAIR the circuit.

W6 CHECK THE CABIN HEATER COOLANT PUMP PULSE WIDTH MODULATION (PWM) CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO POWER
Ignition ON.

C175B-11 voltage Ground

Is the voltage greater than 0.1 volt?

Yes REPAIR the circuit.
No INSTALL a new cabin heater coolant pump.
REFER to: Cabin Heater Coolant Pump (303-03 Electric Powertrain Cooling, Removal and Installation).

W7 CHECK THE CABIN HEATER COOLANT PUMP DIAGNOSTIC CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO POWER
Ignition OFF.
Ignition ON.

C175B-53 voltage Ground

Is the voltage greater than 0.1 volt?

Yes REPAIR the circuit.
No INSTALL a new PCM .
REFER to: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) (303-14 Electric Powertrain Control, Removal and Installation).

W8 CHECK THE CABIN HEATER COOLANT PUMP DIAGNOSTIC CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Ignition OFF.

C175B-53 resistance C1813-4

Is the resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes GO to W9
No REPAIR the circuit.

W9 CHECK THE CABIN HEATER COOLANT PUMP DIAGNOSTIC CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

C175B-53 resistance Ground

Is the resistance greater than 10,000?

Yes INSTALL a new PCM .
REFER to: Powertrain Control Module (PCM) (303-14 Electric Powertrain Control, Removal and Installation).
No REPAIR the circuit.

------------------------------------------------------------------
In reading through the manual, and comparing it to the electrical diagram, I see some errors, so I corrected them above. However, the manual could be correct all along and the electrical diagram is wrong.

The electrical diagram shows that for the coolant pump connector C1813:
Pin 1 a gray and yellow wire, goes to 12v through fuse 36 when on or run
Pin 2 a black and green wire, goes to ground on the LH rail, just in front of the 12v battery. There are two lugs there, it is one of the two.
Pin 3 a black and blue wire, supplies the Pulse Width Modulation signal to control the pump. This comes from the PCM in connector C175B, pin 11.
Pin 4 a blue and gray wire, returns the feedback from the pump to the PCM, connector C175B, pin 53.

C1318 is located on the passenger side of the drive unit, kind of low, next to the PTC heater.

It would really help to download the service manual and electrical diagrams if you have not already.

So fingers crossed that the problem is a loose wire or a poor connection. If the problem is with the coolant pump, those pumps are not cheap, rockauto has two, one for $178 and another for $348. Both are Motorcraft, and I cannot tell what makes them different. They have overlapping year applications.

Note, all three coolant pumps in the vehicle are the same. You could try swapping pumps and seeing if the DTC moves from one pump to the other.

Hoping it is not the powertrain control module.

Good Luck!

Nice wealth of info there. Sadly I dropped it off at the dealer as I can't force burp the coolant and it sucked up about a qt some where. With the battery having been replaced under 2 years ago and the heater working for that time I'm hoping that this is covered. One can hope.

Dealer called yesterday and said they erased the codes and it's working. But I don't think they waited the 2 or 3 minutes it takes for the heater to give up heating. I called and left them a message about letting the heater run it's course and try actually heating the car up.

In the mean time I'm eyeing a couple 17's or maybe an 18 off carvana. I'm still giddy with this silly car as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg and at 100+ range it covered all my in town use cases. I'd be on my 3rd FFE.

A follow up on this.
I paid the dealer about $160 to run diag's and reset the codes. They said the heat fired back up the first time after they reset the pump low flow code and it's been hot ever since. T1.0 EEC Test P0CEA

I did manage to add about 1 qt of coolant to the tank after I hand burped the heater core line by pumping it like a bildge pump primer before I took it to them. I'd say 50% chance nothing is wring with my 2yr old 33kw battery. I don't think the heater would run for 2 years and then just quit if there was no coolant leak. Ford said the diag is good for 3 months so if it quits again I can just bring it in. However I live in Phoenix which means next week it'sll be 75 again and the heater will stay off again until next January lol. Which is fine. I'll get another car mid year anyway and prob. keep this one for grocery runs.

Glad it worked out for you. Might want to consider buying a elm327 adapter and forscan, so that in the future, should you need to, you can do the reset yourself.

I had bought the odblink and fordscan. But it's reset didn't resolve it. I'm thinking something else happened or they have a much bigger reset button than I do. They never pulled the battery as all station presets and charge times were still there as well.

Using Forscan you can monitor the pump requested speeds and the actual speeds. Additionally, you can set the speeds as well.
You can reset and perform a selftest on the PCM.

By the way, is yours an OBDlink LX, EX, or MX?

Back