Full charge calculation (West Canada)

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akua

Has anyone in western Canada done a proper calculation of what a full charge at home is costing them?

Thanks,

A good way to get a very close estimate if you have no kWh meter is to take the kWh from the enhanced trip meter divide by 0.9 (charging is about 90% efficient) to get the approximate kWh used to charge the car. Divide the amount of your electric bill by how many kWh you used to find how much you are paying per kWh. Then simply mutiply the approximate kWh used by your calculated electric rate/kWh to get an estimated cost to charge.

In my case a full battery is about 17kWh and my electric costs 13 cents/kWh. so 17/0.9*0.13=$2.46 for me to charge a dead battery. In winter it will cost more since you are running battery heaters too so maybe use 85% or 80% for charge efficiency. I am not certain about this but I believe the onboard charger can be run in an inefficient manner to produce more heat to aid the 900W battery heater. If someone knows for sure about this please chime in. My EVSE has a kWh meter on it. When it gets really cold I'll have to note how many kWh it took to charge and see how bad winter charge efficiency really is.

Hi All:

I'm sorry to ask a silly question, but I would be so appreciative if someone could explain in gory detail how to access the enhanced trip meter, please? I searched the forum, but I could not find how to see it.

I have 2017, if that makes any difference.

Cheers!

I believe you go into the trip display and then hit the right arrow button on the left pads to get into the trip settings and turn on the enhanced trip meter.

Its been a few years since I had an FFE.

Page 83 of the owners guide, available here:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2017-Ford-Focus-Electric-Owners-Manual-version-1_EN-US_10_2016.pdf

Simple :D With your trip meter displayed on the left dash screen simply press the right arrow steering wheel button for the left screen (as you would to dive deeper into a menu). Then you will see a screen like this:

Select Enhanced then press the right arrow to go back to your trip meter. your trip meter should now look something like this:

Back