An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: Car will not start
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:53 am 

It has been almost two weeks now and the car is still behaving, and I have but a lot of new miles on it since getting it back, along with multiple power on/off cycles and charge cycles on my home and public chargers, as well as having it unplugged all night at the hotel I stayed in last night.

My use pattern/commute tend to push the edge of max range. I make a 37+mile one way trip daily with it (it can get me home and back w/o a recharge in between, with about 15-18 miles range to spare. I was already a hyper-miler before I got this car, and that was an easy adaption to the EV. At any rate, I am not babying this car at all, its full use or nothing, as I am intent on keeping up normal use and seeing if the "bug" is truly flushed out or not, so I have been regularly testing my range limits, doing as much brake regen as I can, and then trying to squeeze out more, and at time running it down to <10 mile range left. My home charger is not even a L2 lol, I still use the included L1 charger for home, and public chargers as needed (I found a cpl convenient, free L2 Chargepoint stations that are on my commonly used routes, along with a Blink station.

So far so good. When I (if) hit a month of no issues I will update again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:48 am 

Good to hear. Glad you got it back and all appears to be good. Maybe next time you'll be lucky enough to get a new bigger battery :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 pm 

Well it almost a month since my last post, and the fix has held so far!

I have put nearly 2k more miles on my 2013, and a helluva lot of power on/off cycles, and various combos of home charging and public charge stations, and so far so good.

It would have been nice to have gotten the bigger battery pack for sure, but I have gotten really good at hyper-miling in this car, and get the most out of the braking, and have been pressing the range limit quite a bit. I won;t complain too much given I wound up with a new motor with zero miles on it, and still have 3-years left on the factory warranty.

I suppose the next milestone will be 3-months :) Ay any rate, I know the dealer is happy to NOT see my car parked outside their service bay anymore. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:38 pm 

Thanks for letting us know. Glad your car is treating you well again. Sounds like you have 3 more years to root for a new battery.. :lol:

I just got my car back from the dealer for a 12V issue. Apparently my 3rd TCU has gone bad. TCU is no longer under warranty and it's not worth the money to fix it especially considering the last 2 only lasted about a year. So, no more TCU for me :-(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:28 am 

triangles wrote:
Thanks for letting us know. Glad your car is treating you well again. Sounds like you have 3 more years to root for a new battery.. :lol:

I just got my car back from the dealer for a 12V issue. Apparently my 3rd TCU has gone bad. TCU is no longer under warranty and it's not worth the money to fix it especially considering the last 2 only lasted about a year. So, no more TCU for me :-(

I'd contact Ford and explain the situation. Worst they can say is no.

I had a 2003 PT Cruiser. It was my Grandfathers. He only drove it 9300 miles in 3 years. The power steering pump failed just after I bought it from the estate. Fixing it required taking most of the front part of the car apart. Was going to be $1500+. I contacted Chrysler and explained the situation. A few days later they called back and said if I paid $150, they'd cover the rest.

So, a simple phone call saved me over $1350.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:26 pm 

I plan to. I am just waiting a while to see if anything else is killing my 12V battery or if it was just the TCU.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 am 

I got my car back on Tuesday after its 3rd dealer visit for the SSN problem. The first time was in January, the longest I've had the car since then was most of the month of June. After driving only the Volt for the past 2 months I really forgot how much more I like driving the FFE.

This time the dealer apparently didn't do anything to fix it -- I assume they re-seated the HV connectors and got the SSN / wrench messages to go away, then pretty much let it sit around on the lot and drove it occasionally to see if they could trigger another SSN instead of returning it to me. Which I don't mind, it's nice that they would rather hang onto it awhile instead of me being the unpaid road tester & guinea pig. But I don't think they drove it in heavy rain despite my suggestion that they need to do that. Driving in rain or snow is the consistent trigger that preceded every SSN that has happened on the car.

Kinshi, I don't understand why they would throw everything and the kitchen sink at your car and get it fixed, when mine has been in for repairs just as long as yours, but comparatively has only one little thing wrong. Water ingress at the rear HV battery connector. If they would just take that apart, clean up the corrosion and seal it up, problem solved. Ford sent out field engineers the last two times it was in the shop -- why the hell couldn't they simply walk the dealer's techs through how to permanently fix it and get Ford to reimburse the labor? Wouldn't that be cheaper than replacing the battery with a 33.5 kWh pack, or buying back the car from me? They're going to have to do one or the other in the end.

Meanwhile the forecast is dry the next 7 days so I can actually drive my favorite car for awhile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21