An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:39 am 

This is my first time asking questions in this forum. Thanks in advance to whom read my post.

I have a 2017 FFE and now it has 20K miles. Recently I noticed the acceleration seemed to be different from before. When I released the acceleration pedal, car kept moving fast for a short period (3-6s I guess) and then started to slow down. I tried L gear as well and it seemed a little better than D but still not slowing down as before. I adjusted the tire pressure to the recommended value recently and didn’t change anything else.

Did anyone notice the same before? Should I take the car to dealership to do a check? Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 am 

Does the little circle showing regen appear on the left dash screen when you lift off the accelerator? What is your battery state of charge?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:44 am 

pjdg wrote:
This is my first time asking questions in this forum. Thanks in advance to whom read my post.

I have a 2017 FFE and now it has 20K miles. Recently I noticed the acceleration seemed to be different from before. When I released the acceleration pedal, car kept moving fast for a short period (3-6s I guess) and then started to slow down. I tried L gear as well and it seemed a little better than D but still not slowing down as before. I adjusted the tire pressure to the recommended value recently and didn’t change anything else.

Did anyone notice the same before? Should I take the car to dealership to do a check? Thank you!

Welcome. Was your battery fully charged? When the battery is fully charged the car won't regen as much and sometimes feels like you're on ice.

2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 am 

Well, that's a coincidence, I have a 2017 as well with about 13000 miles on it and just noticed the same thing. We have a detour in our neighbourhood which takes us over serveral blocks of speedbumps every time we want to go out - so I use L at the start and end of every journey. It always works properly at the start, but coming home I noticed the same type of complaint as you describe.

I don't konw why, but I reached down and gave the accelerator pedal a pull - and lo and behold it came up a little. It felt like 1/4", but I'd bet it was much less than that. And as it came up it felt a little wooly, like a sticky cable. So when I got home I grabbed the pedal and pulled it up and down vigorously - which seems to have done the trick. Problem gone and nice and smooth action again.

At the time I did not look under the dash at the mechanism, but one day... A sticky accelerator is somewhat noteworthy, I suspect. But now there may be more of them? Does anyone know if this part is unique to the FFE? A quick Internet search does not show anything obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:29 am 

Thank you for your replies. The regen circle did not appear anymore, unless I pushed the brake. I drove 40mile everyday so the battery was not full. It seems the regan is off.

Thank you PandH. I will look the accelerator carefully first. Hope it is just a sticky pedal:)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:57 pm 

Sounds like a defective accelerator pedal. There's no cable it's just a potentiometer. When you lift you should see the regen circle. If your battery is full regen is disabled briefly until the battery drops down a little. A '17 is still under the 3 year warranty. I'd get it warranty replaced. You wouldn't want to "fix" it only to have to fork out a lot of cash when it fails the day after 3 years or 36,001 miles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 am 

Update: I tired pulling the acceleration pedal several times and now the regan is back to normal:) Happy for now. If it happens again in the future, will definitely ask dealership to check it.

Thank you all for helping me understand it!