Questions about acceleration

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjdg

This is my first time asking questions in this forum. Thanks in advance to whom read my post.

I have a 2017 FFE and now it has 20K miles. Recently I noticed the acceleration seemed to be different from before. When I released the acceleration pedal, car kept moving fast for a short period (3-6s I guess) and then started to slow down. I tried L gear as well and it seemed a little better than D but still not slowing down as before. I adjusted the tire pressure to the recommended value recently and didn’t change anything else.

Did anyone notice the same before? Should I take the car to dealership to do a check? Thank you!

Does the little circle showing regen appear on the left dash screen when you lift off the accelerator? What is your battery state of charge?

pjdg said:
This is my first time asking questions in this forum. Thanks in advance to whom read my post.

I have a 2017 FFE and now it has 20K miles. Recently I noticed the acceleration seemed to be different from before. When I released the acceleration pedal, car kept moving fast for a short period (3-6s I guess) and then started to slow down. I tried L gear as well and it seemed a little better than D but still not slowing down as before. I adjusted the tire pressure to the recommended value recently and didn’t change anything else.

Did anyone notice the same before? Should I take the car to dealership to do a check? Thank you!

Welcome. Was your battery fully charged? When the battery is fully charged the car won't regen as much and sometimes feels like you're on ice.

Well, that's a coincidence, I have a 2017 as well with about 13000 miles on it and just noticed the same thing. We have a detour in our neighbourhood which takes us over serveral blocks of speedbumps every time we want to go out - so I use L at the start and end of every journey. It always works properly at the start, but coming home I noticed the same type of complaint as you describe.

I don't konw why, but I reached down and gave the accelerator pedal a pull - and lo and behold it came up a little. It felt like 1/4", but I'd bet it was much less than that. And as it came up it felt a little wooly, like a sticky cable. So when I got home I grabbed the pedal and pulled it up and down vigorously - which seems to have done the trick. Problem gone and nice and smooth action again.

At the time I did not look under the dash at the mechanism, but one day... A sticky accelerator is somewhat noteworthy, I suspect. But now there may be more of them? Does anyone know if this part is unique to the FFE? A quick Internet search does not show anything obvious.

Thank you for your replies. The regen circle did not appear anymore, unless I pushed the brake. I drove 40mile everyday so the battery was not full. It seems the regan is off.

Thank you PandH. I will look the accelerator carefully first. Hope it is just a sticky pedal:)

Sounds like a defective accelerator pedal. There's no cable it's just a potentiometer. When you lift you should see the regen circle. If your battery is full regen is disabled briefly until the battery drops down a little. A '17 is still under the 3 year warranty. I'd get it warranty replaced. You wouldn't want to "fix" it only to have to fork out a lot of cash when it fails the day after 3 years or 36,001 miles.

Update: I tired pulling the acceleration pedal several times and now the regan is back to normal:) Happy for now. If it happens again in the future, will definitely ask dealership to check it.

Thank you all for helping me understand it!

Back