An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Battery Test
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 am 

I tired to search for this topic, may be did not use right key words. So my 2015 FFE is at 63K, I want to check how much capacity does it have. Do I fully charge and then run the heater until the battery runs out that way I know how much KW was used? Now before I do that and whatever my results may be, what can I expect the KW to be for a 63K miles usage. That way I am not taking it to dealership and calming that the battery disintegrated more then its suppose to.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Battery Test
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:37 am 

Yes that is the most accurate way to tell what your usable capacity is. However if you don't want to be as cruel to your battery, you can get a pretty good estimate by using some math. You can just do some driving. The kWh shown on the trip meter takes into account the regen so it's showing you what's actually available from the battery. (ie the kWh used goes down when you regen). Or if you prefer use the heater to run the battery low 10% 15% 20% the exact % isn't important. For my example I'll say I ran the battery down to 15% and the car says I used 15.0kWh. I simply take the power used and divide it by the % of the battery I used. So it would be 15kWh/85% or 15kWh/0.85 = 17.6kWh. That's not as accurate as running the battery down to the stop safely now message but it's a lot easier on your battery and close enough to get a good idea.

Fully discharging the battery is not good for it and will accelerate it's degradation. You can bitch to Ford or the dealer all you want. There is no capacity guarantee on the battery. The greater the depth of discharge between charges the faster the battery will degrade. Also letting it sit fully charged isn't good either. Although Ford mostly mitigates this by only allowing the battery to reach 90% SOC. I would guess you're probably in the 15 kWh range. I'm at 20k miles with my '14 and am at about 17kW. Both age and usage will degrade battery capacity.

Post subject: Re: Battery Test
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:33 am 

triangles wrote:
Yes that is the most accurate way to tell what your usable capacity is. However if you don't want to be as cruel to your battery, you can get a pretty good estimate by using some math. You can just do some driving. The kWh shown on the trip meter takes into account the regen so it's showing you what's actually available from the battery. (ie the kWh used goes down when you regen). Or if you prefer use the heater to run the battery low 10% 15% 20% the exact % isn't important. For my example I'll say I ran the battery down to 15% and the car says I used 15.0kWh. I simply take the power used and divide it by the % of the battery I used. So it would be 15kWh/85% or 15kWh/0.85 = 17.6kWh. That's not as accurate as running the battery down to the stop safely now message but it's a lot easier on your battery and close enough to get a good idea.

Fully discharging the battery is not good for it and will accelerate it's degradation. You can bitch to Ford or the dealer all you want. There is no capacity guarantee on the battery. The greater the depth of discharge between charges the faster the battery will degrade. Also letting it sit fully charged isn't good either. Although Ford mostly mitigates this by only allowing the battery to reach 90% SOC. I would guess you're probably in the 15 kWh range. I'm at 20k miles with my '14 and am at about 17kW. Both age and usage will degrade battery capacity.

Thanks for all the info, with my 50 miles commute every day to work, and now and then I also drive for lyft, 1 to 2 rides on the way to home, added all those miles.