An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm 

I've had my FFE for a few years now and always keep the remote / key fob (keyless entry) in my pocket. It's always had sensitivity issues and locked / unlocked / popped the trunk while in my pocket. Quite a few times it set off the panic alarm. But lately it became ridiculously sensitive... I could barely touch it and it would pop the trunk or do something else unexpected. I handled it like nitro glycerin all the time and had to keep it out of my pocket.

Today I finally decided to do something about it. And wanted to share because I'm sure others will have this issue (or already do).

I popped my key open (remove the valet key with the switch and pry it open with a screwdriver or even the valet key).

Take the pieces out and just keep in mind how they go back together - it's simple and only goes back together one way.

The button section is a rubber piece that comes out easily. What I didn't notice right away is the small metal discs on the back of each button. Mine were only there for 2 of my buttons and the others had come loose over time so they were floating around in there, which explains the sensitivity and unpredictability of the thing.

I took all of the small metal discs off and then used finger nail clippers to clip the center nub off of each button - this is what the discs were adhered to. I cleaned off the old glue from all pieces.

I used some Loctite repair adhesive and glued the small metal discs back on to the 3 middle buttons. (I don't personally want the panic or remote start buttons, so I left the metal discs off of those buttons which essentially disables them.)

Good time to replace the battery if you have one handy or want to pick one up - it is a CR-2032 size.

Worked perfectly. All of the buttons work but only when I ask them to, and the buttons I disabled don't do anything.

Note that the part number for this type of remote is FCC M3N5WY8609 (Ford Smart Key) so this trick should work for those with Ford Escape, C-Max, Focus, Flex, Explorer, Expedition, Taurus 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018. The OE part number is 164-R8091. My circuit board is stamped with Continental 1408-2 and 94V-0.

Hope this helps others :)

Some images:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:00 pm 

Thanks for all that work share your experience. Those fobs are not cheap to replace!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 pm 

Odd I don't have that issue with any of my 3 fobs and at least the one I took apart to dry after it went thru the washing machine in my pocket didn't have the metal disks. :?: