An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 pm 

I wish I could remember where but I think I remember reading somewhere that the new battery was a few pounds lighter than the old battery. Might have been wishful thinking or maybe it was comparing the '16 to the '17 specs and the '17 was lighter? I'm on day 21 without my FFE. Unfortunately my problem is related to the 12V battery being dead and not the HVB. :(

Last edited by triangles on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 pm 

Thanks for the replies. Nice that it isn't heavier. I was worried the handling would change. A small difference in weight either way shouldn't make a difference, but nice that it might be lighter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:01 am 

any update

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:24 am 

TareqAwad wrote:
any update

Sorry for the delay. I think I posted an update elsewhere on a similar thread. So after 50+ days, I got my car back. 2017 battery and I get over 100mi in range; and that's not being conservative. I could probably stretch that to 120mi if I stayed out of the fast lane. The trip meter shows 30KWh or usable charge. So far so good.

The only bad thing that happened was that they forgot to put coolant back into my system...when when the car attempted to charge, the charging circuit got too hot and would throttle back the charge current. Eventually it got to hot and kicked back a message that an error occurred while charging. Fortunately, I had purchased an OBDLink and used the Forscan software on my phone to see what was wrong. I added coolant and all was good again. However, there are 3 coolant loops for the FFE: cabin heater, engine, and battery/charger. The latter 2 have degas lines but the heater does not. The degas lines purge any air in the system by running a tube over to the coolant reservoir. You can see those if you peek under the hood. The heater loop doesn't and has to be purged by the dealer...so I had to take it in yet again. It only took them a day. What they do is configure the 3 loops as one and run the pumps.

All is good now...maybe. I did have a charge session fail last night and this morning. I checked Forscan and it said that the charging circuit got too hot. However, on the way to work, I could see that the battery/charging coolant loop was running just fine. I'll need to do more checking tonight.

Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:57 am 

davideos wrote:
TareqAwad wrote:
any update

... I did have a charge session fail last night and this morning. I checked Forscan and it said that the charging circuit got too hot. However, on the way to work, I could see that the battery/charging coolant loop was running just fine. I'll need to do more checking tonight.

Regards.

Upon return home, I popped the hood and noticed that the coolant reservoir was over-full. The degas lines were actually under the coolant surface. I open the coolant reservoir and coolant comes pouring out...the reservoir was under pressure...and there is somewhat of a straw that goes down into the reservoir causing coolant to get pushed out as the cap is opened. Still end up with too much coolant. So it seemed like there was a bunch of air in the system which displaced the coolant. It took awhile, but I got the air out of the coolant loop and things seem to be fine now. I had to put more coolant in to replace what it spit out. Car charged successfully last night. I'm going to have to keep an eye on it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:32 pm 

They replaced my battery in my 2014 last year. It is all the same except for much more range. Great car now. I have a 40 mile commute and can make 2 trips in a charge. Canceled my Model 3 order:-)

Last edited by Henry1954 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 am 

Battery warranty for a 2014 won't expire until 2022... Are you in the future?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 am 

Yep, happened to me too. Have the new much greater range battery that was installed under warranty.

Still getting used to starting it up and seeing 125 miles range instead of the old 75.

Needless to say, I really love the car now. Will be keeping it for a while.

...but with Ford discontinuing it, not sure how long parts will be available.

2005 Ford Crown Victoria LE
2004 Dodge Ram 3500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:37 pm 

Typically parts are available for 10 years. Since it shares the glider with the ICE Focus many other parts will be available for much longer than 10 years. Pretty much if your battery goes or any of the main EV components go after the 8 year warranty the car is pretty much junk unless you have the skills and desire to do something custom since it will most likely cost more than the car is worth to replace any of the major EV components. If my battery doesn't fail within the 8 year warranty there's a slim possibility I may try to do some custom battery build assuming I can find someone knowledgeable enough to help me figure out how to get a new battery to mesh with the OE electronics.