An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:36 am 

The broken cable from ICCB to wall plug was a 3G1,5 which is like AWG 16, but the cable from ICCB to Typ1 car connector is a 3G2,5 (like AWG 14).
The ICCB is coded to 10A and 3G1,5 is sufficient up to 16A, but i wonder why the manufacturer uses a thinner cable at the wall plug side.
Finally i replaced the broken cable with a H07RN-F 3G2,5 and a new SCHUKO plug and i hope it lasts longer .

Roman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 am 

teutocat wrote:
The broken cable from ICCB to wall plug was a 3G1,5 which is like AWG 16, but the cable from ICCB to Typ1 car connector is a 3G2,5 (like AWG 14).
The ICCB is coded to 10A and 3G1,5 is sufficient up to 16A, but i wonder why the manufacturer uses a thinner cable at the wall plug side.
Finally i replaced the broken cable with a H07RN-F 3G2,5 and a new SCHUKO plug and i hope it lasts longer .

Roman

Half of what you typed there is all Greek to me. Glad it was a relatively easy fix. If I remember correctly the US version had 16GA wire which I think is only rated for 13A and they are pushing 12A thru it :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:38 pm 

Sorry for the Greek, i think in Europe we have other names and dimensions for wires and leads, so it is difficult to compare.
And sorry for my bad english speaking, it isn't my daily business.

I'll try to make things more clearly.
In Europe we use metric measure systems. The dimension of wire cross section is mm² (square millimeter).
Our usual abbreviation 3G2,5 means three wires in a cable, each with 2,5mm² and one of them is Green/yellow striped for Ground (PE=protective earth).

The "In Cable Control Box" (ICCB) has two cords or cables, one from wall to ICCB and one from ICCB to vehicle. The vehicle side has a "Type1" connector which fits to the FFE. In the opposite of this, most of other EVs in Europe have a "Type2" connector, which is for three-phase current.
In my case, the cable from wall plug to ICCB is 3G1,5 and the cable from ICCB to vehicle is 3G2,5 (+ 2 additional pilot signal wires).
My ICCB ist factory preset to 10A. Even though 1,5mm² is sufficient for 16A, i wonder why they attach a 2,5mm² cable at the vehicle side.
My H07RN-F 3G2,5 replacement cable is a heavy duty rubber cable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tough_rub ... thed_cable

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 am 

Thanks for explaining the metric wire nomenclature. I've never heard the term "ICCB" before. We just call the whole thing an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment). I don't think we have any special name for the box. By the way, your English is great. I wouldn't have know it wasn't your native tongue.