Car will not start

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YAY! :D I'm curious to see what you get out of Ford. Probably nothing but a working FFE. So without rereading this lengthy thread, what all did they end up doing to your FFE?

So, I just got off the phone with ford and all I get is 1 months payment. Thats it. Ford just lost a loyal customer. There are 4 fords in my driveway. Never again. Anyone considering buying a ford product should have their head examined. Id like to run this thing off a cliff right now and collect the insurance. I dont have the paperwork right now, they were still preparing it when I picked up the car. It will be sent home one day this week when my daughter gets off of work there. But as far as I can tell, they replaced the motor/gearbox assembly, the main harness, the sobdm, and removed,inspected,cleaned terminals, of the battery. I d like to punch Kimberly right in the face right now. " Sorry, we dont do gas reimbursments" "Sorry........" "Sorry........" etc. I hope she gets hit by a truck. LOL. Ford is a horrible company.

Yes, secondary onboard diagnostic module. Aka, charger. I will see about getting the evse replaced under warranty also.

They spent more of Ford's money on parts for yours, at least.
On mine they only replaced the PCM, the wiring harness, a latch connector that broke while trying to replace it, then they replaced the wiring harness AGAIN due to the connector breaking. (And they also did the door latch safety recall.)

tinilk said:
They spent more of Ford's money on parts for yours, at least.
On mine they only replaced the PCM, the wiring harness, a latch connector that broke while trying to replace it, then they replaced the wiring harness AGAIN due to the connector breaking. (And they also did the door latch safety recall.)

Did you get any other compensation?

I haven't called to ask for anything yet. I may wait until there's a big rainstorm and my car goes back to the shop for another 4 months. (Which I really do think will happen since I saw that yellow wrench the one time I drove through a puddle.)

Yeah, thats not a good sign. Hopefully we stay rain free for a while anyway. I would be interested to see if a code had stored in the computer from that wrench light.

I got my OBDLink dongle in the mail yesterday, just need to download Forscan and see if it works. I'll post what I find out.

Surprise! Less than a week and the wrench light is back on. Same code. Hybrid battery isolation circuit fault. And of course the right and left headlight circuits thrown in there for good measure. They always show codes when theres another code, they dont know why. I cant wait for the red triangle and the no start. I spoke to the dealership owner ad he is going to look into it personally. I just couldnt deal with any more song and dance bs from the service dept at this time. So, basically we're back to square one. I cant wait for the ford girl to call me to see how the car is doing. F her.

Carbuff, that sucks but of course I'm not surprised. Were you driving through puddles or was it raining just before the wrench appeared?

I'm curious if your dealer installed a "spray shield" as part of the recall fixes. My dealer claimed that "all the recall work has been performed" but this shield is NOT on my car and I think that's the problem.

Here's a picture from another FFE that had the recall work done, including this thin black plastic shield to protect the HV battery connectors behind the rear driver's side wheel. If you squat down and look underneath just in front of the rear tire, you should be able to see the orange connectors and (hopefully) see if this black shield is in there partly covering them up:
8eyZ5lk.jpg

Funny you should mention rain. We had a downpour yesterday and I went through a few big puddles on the way home from the beach. It also was raining when the car died last christmas eve in my sister in laws driveway. But there was no rain involved when it died and had to be towed or when the techs ran into the problem during the 5 months they had it. The light has been steady on today. Every time I scan for the codes it says fault present at time of scan so its not as intermittent as it was before. The dealership owner asked me for the codes present and a brief history of what happened in the past. He is dealing directly with the field engineers to try and figure something out. Im waiting for the no start which will probably happen some time in the next week or so. I sold my jeep and my mustang so now I really would need a loaner right off the bat. So I just checked and I have no shield installed and the connector and screws look awfully crusty and dirty for something that should have been one of the first things checked and cleaned.

Interesting, I've always been driving in rain or snow just before I initially see the yellow wrench.

Yup it's all crusty around the orange plastic sockets on mine too. There are cracks through the thin corners where the screws attach the sockets to the battery housing. Just replacing the connectors with new ones still made of brittle thin plastic, like Ford has done, isn't going to cut it. They need an actual fix with a new design of both the connectors and the sockets, with gaskets and corrosion-resistant screws to make it truly water sealed. This thing should be submersible with an IP67 rating. Right now it looks like the battery plug on a toy R/C boat.

also, I just learned that the reason that the shield recall does not come up is because it expired last may. And it wasnt a recall but a customer satisfaction program so it does not come up as a recall for your vin.

tinilk said:
Interesting, I've always been driving in rain or snow just before I initially see the yellow wrench.

Yup it's all crusty around the orange plastic sockets on mine too. There are cracks through the thin corners where the screws attach the sockets to the battery housing. Just replacing the connectors with new ones still made of brittle thin plastic, like Ford has done, isn't going to cut it. They need an actual fix with a new design of both the connectors and the sockets, with gaskets and corrosion-resistant screws to make it truly water sealed. This thing should be submersible with an IP67 rating. Right now it looks like the battery plug on a toy R/C boat.

If you see any cracks in the plastic around the screws then your battery fails tsb 16b02 and needs to be sent out for repairs. Read about it here. The actual program expired last year but it should still be covered by warranty if youre having a wrench light. Also the part number for the shield is in the linked article.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2117/16b02-high-voltage-lower-battery-connector-corrosion-2012-2016-ford-focus-electric

Carbuff said:
Surprise! Less than a week and the wrench light is back on. Same code. Hybrid battery isolation circuit fault. And of course the right and left headlight circuits thrown in there for good measure. They always show codes when theres another code, they dont know why. I cant wait for the red triangle and the no start. I spoke to the dealership owner ad he is going to look into it personally. I just couldnt deal with any more song and dance bs from the service dept at this time. So, basically we're back to square one. I cant wait for the ford girl to call me to see how the car is doing. F her.

Time for a lawyer.

Carbuff said:
If you see any cracks in the plastic around the screws then your battery fails tsb 16b02 and needs to be sent out for repairs.

Oh wow, thank you for the link. It's obvious none of this repair work was done, despite Ford field reps supposedly visiting the dealer on two different occasions to diagnose the car. I've printed out the first few pages to bring to the dealer.

triangles said:
Oh boy! I'm rooting for a new battery this time!

Im bringing the car down for a few tests today. I was told they are suspecting the battery as the problem. But Ive been told lots of things before.

Back