How to increase regen in L gear

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruxf22

Is there a way to increase the regen while in L with software? I feel like my C-Max Energi has much higher regen in it's L gear. Not sure why the two cars would have different levels of regen programmed in. Thanks!

Im thinking that it may be due to the smaller battery in the c-max. So the same amount or regen is a higher percent of the smaller battery and a lower percent of the FFE battery. Just taking a shot in the dark at this, its just the first thing that popped into my mind.

"Low" in the cmax does not mean the same thing as in the FFE. The Cmax, having a continuously variable transmission, is able to do engine braking through lower gearing. Same as any conventional ICE car that you shift into a low gear. This is outlined in the owners manual.

"Low:
Low (L) is designed to mimic the enhanced
engine braking available in non-hybrid
vehicles. Low gear will produce high engine
speeds to provide necessary engine
braking. This is normal and will not damage
your vehicle. In low gear, the gas engine
will remain on more often than in drive (D)."

I would not conclude that the "one pedal" regen torque or power is higher in the C max than it is in the FFE, even if the deceleration is greater.

Well my C-Max is the Energi version, so the electric motor does all the breaking in L mode (like in the FFE). In theory then, the FFE should allow a higher regen rate since it has a much larger battery that can accommodate it.

Again, per the C max energi owner's manual, shifting to L only increases the engine braking effect. It does not increase the pedal off regen or the total regen.

It is all in the manual.

Drving the Cmax, energi or not, in L will make your fuel economy worse and keep the engine on. L does not mean the same thing in the C-max as it does in the FFE.

In my Energi, the electric motor does all engine braking in L unless the battery is completely full (then the engine turns on to provide engine braking). Since the electric motor does the "engine braking", it regens the battery more than when coasting in D. You can modulate the brake pedal to get the same effect just like in the FFE, but in general, the electric motor is slowing the car down while putting electricity back into the battery. It works the same as the L or B gear in any other PHEV or BEV, just not quite strong enough for one pedal driving. It's true that efficiency will be worsened if you let L slow you down too fast and then have to accelerate again to maintain speed.

I can confirm the C-Max Energi does significantly more "regen braking" in L than in D, just like the Focus Electric. It will use true gasoline-engine braking if the battery is full and there is not a significant electrical load to waste the energy (e.g. the heater being on). That surprises me a lot, when the HVAC is off, the battery is full, you drive it in L, and.... the engine starts. It tries to warm up the gasoline engine so it's properly prepared to rev up for engine-braking when the battery is full. I usually run the C-Max in 'D' mode for a couple minutes just to run the battery down below that point.

(in reality I should run the C-Max in 'D' all the time but, I love the feel of that pedal-off regen in 'L' mode so much I don't care, I just drive both the C-Max and FFE in 'L' mode all the time.)

spirilis said:
I can confirm the C-Max Energi does significantly more "regen braking" in L than in D, just like the Focus Electric. It will use true gasoline-engine braking if the battery is full and there is not a significant electrical load to waste the energy (e.g. the heater being on). That surprises me a lot, when the HVAC is off, the battery is full, you drive it in L, and.... the engine starts. It tries to warm up the gasoline engine so it's properly prepared to rev up for engine-braking when the battery is full. I usually run the C-Max in 'D' mode for a couple minutes just to run the battery down below that point.

(in reality I should run the C-Max in 'D' all the time but, I love the feel of that pedal-off regen in 'L' mode so much I don't care, I just drive both the C-Max and FFE in 'L' mode all the time.)
Just ditch one car and get a Bolt: Putting the Bolt in 'L' mode puts it in one pedal mode. In this mode:
  • Lifting your foot off the accelerator will regen the car to a stop--really quickly
  • You have to feather the gas pedal to coast
  • Creep is turned off, thus sitting at a light you can take your feet off the pedals and the car won't move

In addition: GM will still be making Bolts after mid-May (when Focus production ceases at Michigan Assembly Plant and the FFE will no longer be sold).

cruxf22 said:
In my Energi, the electric motor does all engine braking in L unless the battery is completely full (then the engine turns on to provide engine braking). Since the electric motor does the "engine braking", it regens the battery more than when coasting in D. You can modulate the brake pedal to get the same effect just like in the FFE, but in general, the electric motor is slowing the car down while putting electricity back into the battery. It works the same as the L or B gear in any other PHEV or BEV, just not quite strong enough for one pedal driving. It's true that efficiency will be worsened if you let L slow you down too fast and then have to accelerate again to maintain speed.

Maybe there is a difference in the way L is handled between the HEV and PHEV C-Maxes and that is not reflected in the owners manual. In which case, maybe the off pedal quasi "one pedal" deceleration / regen could be higher.

The Focus will be capable of greater regen torque though, but that will require pushing the pedal! I wish we had a true one pedal mode like the Bolt and i3.

My 2014 Fusion Energi would have to be in D going down my steep driveway or the engine would come on. The Focus has got a little more regen braking in my experience as well.

Do you all drive in L as well, or is this purely personal preference? Driving through Silicon Valley every day requires quite a bit of change of speed and L allows me to avoid the brake pedal for the most part.

Driving in L does not illuminate your brake lights when you lift off the accelerator. If you like the increased risk of being rearended then driving in L is a good idea. For me I just used light brake pedal pressure to get more regen than just driving in L would yield. Plus I extend the courtesy to those behind me of illuminating my brake lights so they know I am slowing down. It would be nice if there was something to indicate how close you are to max regen before friction brakes take over. The brake score sorta helps but it's after the fact and I'd like a reference while I'm braking.

triangles said:
Driving in L does not illuminate your brake lights when you lift off the accelerator. If you like the increased risk of being rearended then driving in L is a good idea. For me I just used light brake pedal pressure to get more regen than just driving in L would yield. Plus I extend the courtesy to those behind me of illuminating my brake lights so they know I am slowing down. It would be nice if there was something to indicate how close you are to max regen before friction brakes take over. The brake score sorta helps but it's after the fact and I'd like a reference while I'm braking.

Considering that the FFE doesn't slow down that much (compared to say the Bolt) when you're in L......I've never had a problem with people behind me noticing that I'm slowing down. And I'm not a crazy hyper miler that coasts to a stop from 4 miles away.

Back