Breaker size for 2018 Focus Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Focus

Guys,

I bought a 2018 white Electric today. I'm pretty stoked! However, after a few mins of charging it tripped the 20 amp breaker I had my Clipper Creek HCS-40 wired to. I used to have a Fusion Energi which didn't have much current draw. Oh and the sales guy delivered the car since I had my Shelby and he failed to ensure the 120V cord was in the trunk and I failed to check before he left. He's going to deliver it to me tonight.

What is the max draw my new car is going to have so I can size the breaker appropriately. The charger is designed with a max of 32 amps. Google and site search didn't have much and I didn't see anything in the owners manual..

Andy

It pulls up to 28-30A. A 40A breaker is appropriate (32A max). So your HCS-40 needs a circuit sized appropriately (and 8 gauge wiring) or else you should get an adjustable EVSE to throttle the Focus down to 16A for your 20A circuit (which is the max the Ford Energi vehicles support).

Also in case you aren't aware, to reduce the likelihood of burning your house down, your EVSE max load (32A) can be no greater than 80% of the rated capacity of your wiring and circuit breaker. This means your circuit breaker and wiring needs to be at least capable of 40A. FYI Ampacities of various wire types and Romex type wring falls into NM-B UF-B column. Hope this helps. If you are uncomfortable with household wiring it's probably worth the expense of an electrician to verify everything is correct as opposed to dealing with a house fire if your wiring is wrong.

Thanks! The charger is wired directly into the breaker panel with the leads that came with the charger. Sounds like I should get a 40A breaker then.

The panel was upgraded when the Solar City install was done under the previous homeowner, so it should be fine.

Fat Focus said:
Oh and my friend is a licensed electrician and he does all my wiring stuff.

So, if your friend is a licensed electrician, have to ask why you are getting your wiring questions answered from an Internet forum? You should be telling us what needs to be done!!!

campfamily said:
Fat Focus said:
Oh and my friend is a licensed electrician and he does all my wiring stuff.

So, if your friend is a licensed electrician, have to ask why you are getting your wiring questions answered from an Internet forum? You should be telling us what needs to be done!!!

He's pretty busy and no longer does electrical work daily.

As long as the EVSE is wired with 8 gauge wire, it should be OK. Smaller than that I would hesitate and see if the wire can be re-run.

spirilis said:
As long as the EVSE is wired with 8 gauge wire, it should be OK. Smaller than that I would hesitate and see if the wire can be re-run.

I would think they'd use the correct size wire on the charger itself as delivered from the factory. Here's the info I found in the manual. I suppose I could open up the unit and use larger wiring but again, I'd think they'd use what is required out of the box. The run from the breaker to the charger is less than 3 feet.

The three supplied HCS-20, 25, 30 or 40 HCS-40 service conductors use stranded 10 AWG 75ºC copper wire.

The three supplied HCS-50, and HCS-60 service conductors use stranded 8 AWG, 75ºC copper wire.

Fat Focus said:
spirilis said:

I would think they'd use the correct size wire on the charger itself as delivered from the factory. Here's the info I found in the manual. I suppose I could open up the unit and use larger wiring but again, I'd think they'd use what is required out of the box. The run from the breaker to the charger is less than 3 feet.

The three supplied HCS-20, 25, 30 or 40 HCS-40 service conductors use stranded 10 AWG 75ºC copper wire.

The three supplied HCS-50, and HCS-60 service conductors use stranded 8 AWG, 75ºC copper wire.
Got it... 10awg is a bit small but for a 3ft run it's fine.

Odd that they would use 75F 10ga since that's only rated for 30A I guess they think that since the HCS-40 maxes out at 32 that is close enuff :? Either way the FFE pulls less than 30A so I guess you are still safe.

Also just in case you are not aware, to scale back the probability of burning your house down, your EVSE easy lay load (32A) may be no bigger than eightieth of the rated capability of your wiring AND gate breaker. this suggests your breaker and wiring must be a minimum of capable of 40A. FYI Ampacities of assorted wire sorts and Romex sort wring falls into NM-B UF-B column. Hope this helps. If you're uncomfortable with unit wiring it's most likely well worth the expense of Associate in Nursing skilled worker to verify everything is correct as opposition managing a house fireplace if your wiring is wrong.

Also just in case you are not aware, to scale back the probability of burning your house down, your EVSE easy lay load (32A) may be no bigger than eightieth of the rated capability of your wiring AND gate breaker. this suggests your breaker and wiring must be a minimum of capable of 40A. FYI Ampacities of assorted wire sorts and Romex sort wring falls into NM-B UF-B column. Hope this helps. If you're uncomfortable with unit wiring it's most likely well worth the expense of Associate in Nursing skilled worker to verify everything is correct as opposition managing a house fireplace if your wiring is wrong.

Hi every one I am new to this solar thing. I am planning to renovate my house to solar power. Can anyone help me to find out the things needed to fix this? Came across few online place to buy them but I am concerned about how genuine are they and if installation and after sales support would be ok. Some of them are:

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/solar-panel-kits
https://magesolar.com/best-portable-solar-charger
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Alternative-Energy-Solutions-Solar-Panels/N-5yc1vZcdrk

hi friends i am rebuild my house with solar power equipment. Can anyone suggest good electrician who can do solar panel installation work in better way?

Hi, this is not a forum for solar power for homes. Its for the ford focus electric car. While many members probably have solar on their homes or use it for charging, you probably wont get the answers you need here. Especially posting in someone else's thread. I would post your own thread in an appropriate section of the board to get the best responses. But off hand Id say you probably need to consult your local solar installer. I dont think converting your home to solar is really a dyi type thing using parts from walmart or ebay. But solar is great. Good luck.

Back