An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:15 am 

Looking for the following recommendations for winter tires:
- 2 front winter tires vs all 4 wheels.
- Brand/model experiences (both good and bad)
- Studable vs studless. I don't plan to use studs but I've seen attractive pricing on some tires designed for studs. Is there a performance difference or is it just that the studable tires can take studs?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:14 pm 

I've been using Bridgestone Blizzaks on my 3 Fords every winter so far. All four, at each wheel. Compared to the Michelin Energy Saver LRR tire, it's a night and day difference for Snow/Slush here in Cleveland. I've got two sets on Steelies, while a third (for my Focus) on OE 16" Focus Alloys I found at a junkyard for less than new Steelies.
They are really barely louder than the OE tire, and I cannot say that I can attribute any range loss to the tire itself, as it's more likely cold weather related.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:51 pm 

Totally agree with Pearl. Blizzaks. All four wheels. Go to Tire Rack and read up on why you want all four corners the same.

There actually is another reason for all four - speed sensors with the brakes. You will drive the car crazy trying to stop. The winters will be a larger diameter than the other tires. It will drive the ABS crazy, and you'll have super strange nasty braking (as in really harsh). I ran into that problem with our most recent FFE. Somebody put a brand new junk tire on to fix a flat before they turned the car in from their lease. The new tire was just enough different from the other three that the car acted crazy while braking. It felt like the brakes wanted to grab all the time. Couldn't ever stop smoothly. All new tires, the problem went away.

And I wouldn't even bother trying to find a better price, just do the full set from Tire Rack. They ship quickly to your house, completely mounted and balanced, ready to put on the car.

Not sure why you want winter tires, but that's OK, your choice. I personally hate the whole nonsense with storing four tires and changing them twice a year. It is irritation for not a lot of better handling in the snow anyway.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:52 pm 

Oh forgot - I switched to Michelin Ice-X and hated them. This was on the Focus Titanium ICE. Not the FFE.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:36 pm 

EVA wrote:

And I wouldn't even bother trying to find a better price, just do the full set from Tire Rack. They ship quickly to your house, completely mounted and balanced, ready to put on the car.

I tend to agree, as two of my three sets were purchased that way. The third set, for the Focus, I kinda fell into a great deal, as I found a set of like new Blizzaks on LetGo for $100, then did some searching and found a set of the Focus Alloys for $200 (with TPMS). So I paid < $400 for to whole setup.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 pm 

Thanks for all the input.
EVA wrote:
Not sure why you want winter tires, but that's OK, your choice. I personally hate the whole nonsense with storing four tires and changing them twice a year. It is irritation for not a lot of better handling in the snow anyway.

My FFE will be my primary winter vehicle. The OEM tires are marginal in winter especially after 4 winters. I'm trying to decide what to do for next winter. The OEM tires have at least 1/2 their life left so it seems a waste to just junk them. I've never had winter tires and thought maybe I'd see what the big deal is with winter tires. I was thinking of going with smaller wheels and narrower tires to reduce rotating mass and better winter traction. I can get 16 inch Focus wheels for about $120 for a set of 4 but I would probably need to find 15" for the tires to be cheap enough to offset the wheel cost. Also to get the revs per mile right, the tires on a 15" wheel are almost as wide as the OEM tires which kind of defeats part of the whole purpose of smaller wheels. Which then brings me full circle to also not wanting to store 4 more wheels. I'm probably just going to pick up a decent set of all season tires for the OEM wheels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:04 pm 

Never put just two winter tires on a car, it will throw off the handling and braking. We don't have winter tires on the FFE, but on my daily driver Hyundai I do since I was driving 300 miles some days for work (yes, including to and from Toledo!). I found a set of used Blizzaks on used OEM wheels on Craigslist, and when the Blizzaks wore out I bought new Firestone Winterforce 2s. Much better than the OEM all seasons in winter. In my opinion finding used wheels for the winter tires is a good idea - your original factory wheels don't get road salt rash, and if you get another set you can make your money back on a few seasons of paying for taking the winter tire off, putting the summer tire on, balancing them, then swapping back in November and paying again. You have six months to find a good deal on a set before winter. There is a set of Subaru tires with winter tires for $450 on Craiglist in the Detroit area that might work except for TPMS compatibility. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 pm 

I was originally thinking of just doing winter tires year round since between my TM3 and motorcycles, My poor FFE doesn't get much use 3 out of 4 seasons. Also I don't care about tpms. Warning light is easily fixed by black tape.... Kind of a moot point anyway since I think I'm just going to get some decent all-season tires and call it a day. Anyone want OE tires with about 20k on them with about 1/2 tread left?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:28 pm 

I have been doing a lot of research on tires since the OE suck for traction, even with a little rain. I just purchased a set of Nokian WR G3 All-Weather tires at Discount. They have to order them but supposedly they work well in all weather. There is a true difference in all-weather and all-season tires. Hopefully it will solve the immediate summer problem and be a good tire for winter driving here in Western Washington. We don't get a lot of snow so since we don't really need a great snow tire, not having to change tires will be great. We'll just have to see how well they do and how well they last.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather ... ian-wr-g3/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:03 am 

I've heard too many negatives about dedicated winter tires and since they are so good at clearing the roads here I usually have no more than 10 days a year actually driving in snow, I am just going to find an A/S tire that is good in snow. I am buying these Falken ZIEX ZE950 tires I had their ZIEX ZE912 (discontinued) on a previous car and they were hands down the best tires I've ever had on cold wet roads but they sucked in snow and wore out too quickly. The new ZE950 supposedly corrects that. I guess I will find out. My experience is that amount of grip a tire has on wet roads is directly proportional to how quickly it wears out.