2016 FFE - A/C is not blowing cold

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komosis

Hi, all. I purchased the '16 FFE in January this year, replacing a 2013 Focus SEL that I loved. I love this car too, but it has one issue. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this; and, possibly, have a solution.

On the first warm day of this year, I decided to test the A/C. Unfortunately, when the A/C is active, it only blows ambient air. When activate, the A/C does not register any negative power draw on the energy surplus panel. Viewing the power flow diagram on the main screen, there is no power draw at all from climate when the A/C is enabled. I have checked all A/C related fuses, and they all check out as good.

I will take the car into service whenever I have time, but was wondering about the communities experience with this sort of situation.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

sounds like your refrigerant leaked out and the low pressure switch is tripped which keeps your AC compressor from coming on and destroying itself due to lack of refrigerant/lubrication. You probably want to get that fixed asap as it also uses your AC compressor to chill your battery when it is hot. 2016. should still be under B2B warranty.

triangles said:
sounds like your refrigerant leaked out and the low pressure switch is tripped which keeps your AC compressor from coming on and destroying itself due to lack of refrigerant/lubrication. You probably want to get that fixed asap as it also uses your AC compressor to chill your battery when it is hot. 2016. should still be under B2B warranty.

Thank you, triangles. I will setup my appointment today.

You were correct. The dealer topped off the refrigerant and checked for leaks. So far so good since.

Thanks again, triangles!

Hey i recently purchased a 2013 FFE here in south Texas in the winter and on the first hot day, what do ya know, no AC, no draw down. Took it in and had the cooling unit replaced under warrenty. Cold air blew for less than a month, now nothing but hot air.

Going to take it back in to see what the problem is.

Any recomendations?

You probably have a refrigerant leak somewhere that was not properly diagnosed the first time and they just threw parts at it hoping it would fix it. Either that or maybe one of the seals when they put it back together didn't seal properly. Might consider taking it to a more competent shop.

So the dealership now has replaced the heater/cooling unit for the fourth time... Not sure what makes this repair so much more difficult but its been in the shop for this now 8 times in the past three months.

Freefalljay said:
So the dealership now has replaced the heater/cooling unit for the fourth time... Not sure what makes this repair so much more difficult but its been in the shop for this now 8 times in the past three months.

Sounds like a good basis for a lemon law case........

I have the reverse problem. I am not getting any heat from the vents even if the heater is dialed up to max. Does anyone have experience with having issues with heater and how expensive is it to fix the heater/heatPump on FFE 2014?
Thanks.

focussed said:
I have the reverse problem. I am not getting any heat from the vents even if the heater is dialed up to max. Does anyone have experience with having issues with heater and how expensive is it to fix the heater/heatPump on FFE 2014?
Thanks.

Have you checked your coolant to see if it is low? Not sure if this happens on our EV, but it certainly does on a ICE vehicle.

Keith

Haven't checked coolant, will do so. But I would think coolant will matter for cold air but not for Heat. Thanks.

campfamily said:
focussed said:
Thanks.

Have you checked your coolant to see if it is low? Not sure if this happens on our EV, but it certainly does on a ICE vehicle.

Keith

The FFE has a 5kW resistive heater that heats up coolant which is then pumped thru the heater core in the cabin. It's pretty much just like the regular ICE Focus except the 5kW heater is heating the fluid instead of a gasoline engine. If you turn on the enhanced trip meter you can see the climate power spike up to 5+ kW when the heater is turned on. See this thread for more information http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4027 see this thread. jmueller065 posted a PDF that explains how the coolant loops work.

Back