No more Focus????

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Akua said:
I'm not sure if this has already been talked about, but when they come out with the new Focus active, will there be an electric model?
It doesn't look like it online?
Ford hasn't said anything about that...

They keep saying "X electrified vehicles by Y" but every time they say it Y increases, first it was 2020, next it was 2024...

So far Ford has only announced a 300 mi SUV BEV. There has been no other official word as to what Ford will do as far as EVs are concerned post FFE. FFE production ends on May 7, 2018 when they shut down the Michigan Assembly Plant to retool for Ranger/Bronco production. Unless ford is keeping production plans elsewhere a secret, the Focus will not be in production again until the China factory is tooled up and starts making the Focus in late 2019. As of last week, North America will only get the Focus Active variant. Also for that matter the Mustang will be the only other car made by Ford for at least the next few years. Although the tall hatchbacks AKA crossovers are still just cars IMHO. Tall, ugly, and less aerodynamic cars, but the US can't seem to get enough of them.

triangles said:
the Mustang will be the only other car made by Ford for at least the next few years.

Is this true? I thought I read that the Fusion will continue for the next couple of years, but any work on a replacement or updated version has been cancelled. Also, I think there are still a few Taurus' coming off the line, but not very many (only people who buy those are fleet buyers).

Keith

What I read didn't specify when the Fusion, Taurus, Fiesta were going away, just that they were. I would assume it will be whenever they shut down the factory where they are assembled to retool for other models. I have no knowledge of where they are made or what will be made at that factory in their place. At least if there are '19 models they probably won't differ from the '18s.

Triangles,

When you say shut down the Michigan plante to retool for the Broncos, are you referring they will be making the Broncos and the Michigan plant?

Akua said:
Triangles,

When you say shut down the Michigan plante to retool for the Broncos, are you referring they will be making the Broncos and the Michigan plant?

Yes. Ford will build the Bronco and the Ranger at the Michigan plant where the Focus used to be built. Originally Ford was going to re-locate Focus production to Mexico, but then decided to move it to China.

Keith

Its really already happening--and it isn't even May yet LOL.

I drive by the plant fairly regularly and the # of new vehicles parked there has been diminishing over the past few months.

Akua said:
Yes the Ranger will be made first and then after year or so they will add Bronco production. FYI for clarity the FFE was made at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mi. Ford has multiple plants in Michigan so just saying Michigan plant is kind of meaningless.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Assembly_Plant

triangles said:
Akua said:
Yes the Ranger will be made first and then after year or so they will add Bronco production. FYI for clarity the FFE was made at the Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne, Mi. Ford has multiple plants in Michigan so just saying Michigan plant is kind of meaningless.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Assembly_Plant

Not really as that plant is known as "Michigan Assembly Plant" because it is on Michigan Avenue. so "Michigan Plant" is close LOL
(ok in Ford TLA speak its known as MAP.)

When the Flex came out I thought it was as fugly as the Honda Element. Then everyone else decided it was a game of one-upmanship to see who could build the fugliest vehicle. Suddenly the Flex wasn't so offensive to the eyes.... :lol:

triangles said:
When the Flex came out I thought it was as fugly as the Honda Element. Then everyone else decided it was a game of one-upmanship to see who could build the fugliest vehicle. Suddenly the Flex wasn't so offensive to the eyes.... :lol:
Nothing is as ugly as the Pontiac Aztek! LOL

jmueller065 said:
triangles said:
Pearl said:
The Focus Active or a Subaru Crosstrek?
2rzz2g6.png
:lol: Seriously Ford? So raise the ground clearance by an inch or two, add some roof rails and the Focus hatchback magically becomes a crossover? If I were in the market for such a beast I'd take the Subaru unless the Focus was way way cheaper. Mainly I don't want the crappy DCT trans that ford put in the ICE focus. Who wants to sped 4 figures every 20k miles getting new clutches? That's literally how long they last in my sister in law's focus and she by no means beats on it. A MTX version I would take more seriously.

Don't know if the new Focus will have that transmission. For all we know it will be some other crappy thing--maybe a CVT like the one's in the 500's that failed left & right..!

The new Focus will have an 8 speed torque converter transmission.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...obal-focus-innovative-spacious-connected.html

cutler03gt said:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...obal-focus-innovative-spacious-connected.html

I dunno, from that article:
"Adaptive Shift Quality Control, which assesses vehicle and environmental information to help adjust clutch pressures for consistently smooth gearshifts"

Sounds like an 8 speed dual clutch setup to me, not an old school torque converter slush box. For me it doesn't really matter either way because I won't be buying another ICE vehicle. Also I won't buy a Chinese car. I've spent a couple months in a Chinese automotive factory. I'll just say it was an eye opening experience.

Sounds like they are getting the Chinese factory up and running early. Last I heard it wouldn't be producing cars until late 2019 yet Europe and China get the new Focus later this year.

triangles said:
cutler03gt said:

I dunno, from that article:
"Adaptive Shift Quality Control, which assesses vehicle and environmental information to help adjust clutch pressures for consistently smooth gearshifts"

Sounds like an 8 speed dual clutch setup to me, not an old school torque converter slush box. For me it doesn't really matter either way because I won't be buying another ICE vehicle. Also I won't buy a Chinese car. I've spent a couple months in a Chinese automotive factory. I'll just say it was an eye opening experience.

Sounds like they are getting the Chinese factory up and running early. Last I heard it wouldn't be producing cars until late 2019 yet Europe and China get the new Focus later this year.

Note that an old school torque converter transmission also has clutches, just in a different spot (tq converter trans has clutches that grab the outside of the planetary gearset for each gear).

Not to mention the one inside the tq converter that locks it up in high gears to get better mpg.

Back