20,000 Mile Checklist Maintenance

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akua

Hey Folks,

My 2017 FFE has reached its first maintenance schedule (20,000 miles). After seeing what's on the list I question whether or not
I should bother with it. Rotate tires, check brakes, air filter etc....

Should I bother? Its only 75 bucks. Or is it a waste of time. On my ICE vehicles I had them at ford on schedule on time without batting an eye.
Thanks,

I rank among the most foolish by requesting the dealer change the transaxle fluid for $82. Call me superstitious but after 20K worth of break-in I bet it'll help with wear over 200K miles having the original fluid drained.

Spirilis,

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I didn't know the FFE's used tranny fluid on a 1-gear drive?

Thanks,

I am not sure but is the motor also cooled by the trans fluid? There is water/glycol coolant to carry the heat away but I wouldn't be surprised if the motor windings were bathed in the oil too for heat transfer.

Not the same type of setup but the Ford hybrid trans (Fusion & C-Max Hybrid and Energi) use the trans fluid to bathe the motor windings.

Question for the record;

The engine itself is liquid cooled, also, the battery itself is liquid cooled/heated?
Two separate cooling systems?

Thanks,

Akua said:
Question for the record;

The engine itself is liquid cooled, also, the battery itself is liquid cooled/heated?

Thanks,
Yes and the cooling systems are selectively linked with mixing valves - also the DC/DC converter and motor drive inverter are in there, as is the cabin heater loop.

Akua said:
Hey Folks,

My 2017 FFE has reached its first maintenance schedule (20,000 miles). After seeing what's on the list I question whether or not

Should I bother? Its only 75 bucks. Or is it a waste of time. On my ICE vehicles I had them at ford on schedule on time without batting an eye.
Thanks,

You can change the cabin air filter (which after 20000 miles I would highly recommend) yourself. It's a bit of a PITA to smash back in, however there are many videos on Youtube to show you how to do it.

Akua said:
Question for the record;

Thanks,
More on the cooling system w/ diagrams here- http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4160&hilit=cooling+system#p28539

Akua said:
Hey Folks,

Thanks,

The only air filter is the cabin filter. I don't think I have ever changed one of those on any car I've owned!

Do you have a jack and torque wrench? Takes 15 minutes to rotate tires on your own and you save $75. You can take a glance at the pads at the same time. I am sure they are fine. I expect my brake pads to out last this car. Pads make noise by design when they need replacing.

EVs are pretty maintenance free. Enjoy it!

Jon_h said:
Do you have a jack and torque wrench? Takes 15 minutes to rotate tires on your own and you save $75.

EVs are pretty maintenance free. Enjoy it!

My selling Ford Dealer has done complimentary Tire Rotations on all of my Fords !

Jon_h said:
The only air filter is the cabin filter. I don't think I have ever changed one of those on any car I've owned!

Ick! Heavily recommend you do it. I change mine every 1.5 years or so, and they come out pretty black.

scottt said:
Ick! Heavily recommend you do it. I change mine every 1.5 years or so, and they come out pretty black.
:lol: My last car had no cabin air filter. In fact this is the first vehicle I've owned that has one.

The cabin air filter is cheap, about $14 on Amazon, maybe less if you look around or get an off brand.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-FP-70-Cabin-Air-Filter/dp/B008PJDOSS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524940506&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ford+focus+cabin+air+filter

Video I watched: https://youtu.be/kfNbsYUnMwA

Back