An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm
Posts: 9
How time flies. I started driving my 2012 FFE April 2013 when it had 14 miles on it. I was planning to register on this forum shortly after I started driving me FFE. So I finally registered and the car 93,300 miles mils on it. I have seen a number of people posting with 50K-60K on their cars and would like to hear from others who are closing in on 100K miles. I hope to drive mine for another two years which would put 135K miles on it. By then, I hope to have a few 200+mile range EVs to choose from.

The only repair to the car was a water pump replacement at 27,000 miles. I did have to replace my 12V battery twice. The Ford supplied battery seems to have fragile plates that break and fall to the bottom of the cell shorting out the cell. The second time I replaced the 12V battery, I used a regular battery that was similar in size to the original battery. I need to replace my tires for the second time within the next few months. I am still driving on the Michelin EV low rolling resistance tires. I do not like the tires but I do not want to loose the range so I probably buy another set.

I live in San Diego and commute 30 miles each way to work from Rancho San Diego to Ranch Bernardo. Going to work I drive west on I8 and north on I15. Today was a relatively warm morning and I used 6.1 KWH and arrived at work with 54% battery capacity. My lifetime energy usage is 241KWH per mile.

Zen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:00 am
Posts: 260
Great to hear from you. I've been wanting to know. What happened after the free 5 years of MFM services were up? Did you get a bill? How much a month is it? Or is it still working, even after 5 years of service?

Thx!

_________________
2015 Magnetic FFE (aka Magneto) - Retired
2017 Kona Blue FFE (aka King Kona) - Current


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 am
Posts: 154
Location: Maryland
9 months on my 2017 with almost 22,000 miles, hopefully I'll catch up to that before too long... probably be over 100K before the loan's done paying off. What symptoms did you see when the water pump failed?

_________________
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:24 am
Posts: 267
Location: Northeast Ohio
scottt wrote:
Great to hear from you. I've been wanting to know. What happened after the free 5 years of MFM services were up? Did you get a bill? How much a month is it? Or is it still working, even after 5 years of service?

Thx!


I purchased my 2013 CPO two years ago. Its in service date is December 2012. Five plus years later, MFM is working as it always has. No fees.

_________________
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:07 am
Posts: 407
Location: Southern California
Zenmon wrote:
How time flies. I started driving my 2012 FFE April 2013 when it had 14 miles on it. I was planning to register on this forum shortly after I started driving me FFE. So I finally registered and the car 93,300 miles mils on it. I have seen a number of people posting with 50K-60K on their cars and would like to hear from others who are closing in on 100K miles. I hope to drive mine for another two years which would put 135K miles on it. By then, I hope to have a few 200+mile range EVs to choose from.

The only repair to the car was a water pump replacement at 27,000 miles. I did have to replace my 12V battery twice. The Ford supplied battery seems to have fragile plates that break and fall to the bottom of the cell shorting out the cell. The second time I replaced the 12V battery, I used a regular battery that was similar in size to the original battery. I need to replace my tires for the second time within the next few months. I am still driving on the Michelin EV low rolling resistance tires. I do not like the tires but I do not want to loose the range so I probably buy another set.

I live in San Diego and commute 30 miles each way to work from Rancho San Diego to Ranch Bernardo. Going to work I drive west on I8 and north on I15. Today was a relatively warm morning and I used 6.1 KWH and arrived at work with 54% battery capacity. My lifetime energy usage is 241KWH per mile.

Zen


You must be king of the hill with respect to mileage on a FFE. When was the last time you did a battery run-down test? Would be curious to know what degradation you are seeing after that many miles.

Also, any plans to replace your car at the end of the year, when you lose the ability to drive solo in the carpool lane? I'm considering......

_________________
2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
33K miles (since May 2015), average 247 Wh/mile


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm
Posts: 9
scottt wrote:
Great to hear from you. I've been wanting to know. What happened after the free 5 years of MFM services were up? Did you get a bill? How much a month is it? Or is it still working, even after 5 years of service?

Thx!


MFM is still working without having to pay for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm
Posts: 9
spirilis wrote:
9 months on my 2017 with almost 22,000 miles, hopefully I'll catch up to that before too long... probably be over 100K before the loan's done paying off. What symptoms did you see when the water pump failed?


When my water pump failed my car displayed the Wrench Alert. I don't remember the exact text but it was something to the effect of "Battery System Error" The problem detected was that the battery coolant was overheating. Other than that, I did not notice any symptoms.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm
Posts: 9
campfamily wrote:
Zenmon wrote:
How time flies. I started driving my 2012 FFE April 2013 when it had 14 miles on it. I was planning to register on this forum shortly after I started driving me FFE. So I finally registered and the car 93,300 miles mils on it. I have seen a number of people posting with 50K-60K on their cars and would like to hear from others who are closing in on 100K miles. I hope to drive mine for another two years which would put 135K miles on it. By then, I hope to have a few 200+mile range EVs to choose from.

The only repair to the car was a water pump replacement at 27,000 miles. I did have to replace my 12V battery twice. The Ford supplied battery seems to have fragile plates that break and fall to the bottom of the cell shorting out the cell. The second time I replaced the 12V battery, I used a regular battery that was similar in size to the original battery. I need to replace my tires for the second time within the next few months. I am still driving on the Michelin EV low rolling resistance tires. I do not like the tires but I do not want to loose the range so I probably buy another set.

I live in San Diego and commute 30 miles each way to work from Rancho San Diego to Ranch Bernardo. Going to work I drive west on I8 and north on I15. Today was a relatively warm morning and I used 6.1 KWH and arrived at work with 54% battery capacity. My lifetime energy usage is 241KWH per mile.

Zen


You must be king of the hill with respect to mileage on a FFE. When was the last time you did a battery run-down test? Would be curious to know what degradation you are seeing after that many miles.

Also, any plans to replace your car at the end of the year, when you lose the ability to drive solo in the carpool lane? I'm considering......



I plan on driving the car for an additional two years. I installed solar panels on my house and bought the car at the same time. Crunching the numbers, my cash flow turned positive after five years, and the combo pays for itself after seven years. Loosing carpool lane privileges is annoying, however it does not help me on my regular commute. I will probably sign up for FastTrack for the few times a month that I need it.

I never did a battery run-down test. What is interesting though is that about two years ago, one of the FFE recalls included reprogramming the motor control module. Afterwards my KWh/M improved by about 10% . Now I get the same reserve after completing my 60 mile round trip commute as I did when the car was new. My unscientific observation is that my range noticeably improves when the temperature is 68F or above. I hope that I will have more and better alternatives for replacing the car in two years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:31 pm
Posts: 27
I am really happy to hear about your high milage FFE! I plan on owning my 2017 for many years!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:41 am
Posts: 53
Zenmon wrote:
How time flies. I started driving my 2012 FFE April 2013 when it had 14 miles on it. I was planning to register on this forum shortly after I started driving me FFE. So I finally registered and the car 93,300 miles mils on it. I have seen a number of people posting with 50K-60K on their cars and would like to hear from others who are closing in on 100K miles. I hope to drive mine for another two years which would put 135K miles on it. By then, I hope to have a few 200+mile range EVs to choose from.

The only repair to the car was a water pump replacement at 27,000 miles. I did have to replace my 12V battery twice. The Ford supplied battery seems to have fragile plates that break and fall to the bottom of the cell shorting out the cell. The second time I replaced the 12V battery, I used a regular battery that was similar in size to the original battery. I need to replace my tires for the second time within the next few months. I am still driving on the Michelin EV low rolling resistance tires. I do not like the tires but I do not want to loose the range so I probably buy another set.

I live in San Diego and commute 30 miles each way to work from Rancho San Diego to Ranch Bernardo. Going to work I drive west on I8 and north on I15. Today was a relatively warm morning and I used 6.1 KWH and arrived at work with 54% battery capacity. My lifetime energy usage is 241KWH per mile.

Zen


Nice! Good to hear that these cars can last!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
© Ford Focus Electric Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group