Registration / License Plate Cost

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderpaul

I just got my notice in the mail to renew my license plate.

$300 (Michigan)

Just curious what others are paying in other states.

For the record, I have a 2014 FFE with 26,000 miles on it, and Michigan recently increased registration fees for EV owners since our road tax is included in the price of a gallon of gas -- so I haven't paid any road taxes in four years. Here's what I have paid for my registration since buying the FFE in July 2014.

2015 $178
2016 $152
2017 $138

I am paying more to license the vehicle than I pay in "fuel." (20 miles/day @ 244 WH/mile @ $0.16/kWH = $0.78/day; $300/365 days = $0.82/day) I also pay $4.00 per day to insure the car. With my ICE cars, fuel was always the greatest annual expense.

I wonder what the break-even point is for car ownership vs. using Uber for all transportation. Only one more year of payments, then the cost of ownership will be reduced drastically.

Neanderpaul said:
I just got my notice in the mail to renew my license plate.

$300 (Michigan)

Just curious what others are paying in other states.

For the record, I have a 2014 FFE with 26,000 miles on it, and Michigan recently increased registration fees for EV owners since our road tax is included in the price of a gallon of gas -- so I haven't paid any road taxes in four years. Here's what I have paid for my registration since buying the FFE in July 2014.

2015 $178
2016 $152
2017 $138

I am paying more to license the vehicle than I pay in "fuel." (20 miles/day @ 244 WH/mile @ $0.16/kWH = $0.78/day; $300/365 days = $0.82/day) I also pay $4.00 per day to insure the car. With my ICE cars, fuel was always the greatest annual expense.

I wonder what the break-even point is for car ownership vs. using Uber for all transportation. Only one more year of payments, then the cost of ownership will be reduced drastically.

In VA an ICE car is about $41 a year for plates. Electric is a tad over $100. The price we pay for not having to stop at a gas station.

I just got the 2 year renewal for my Grand Cherokee and it was $188. That was for 2 years in NY. I dont know how much the focus will be. I dont think there is a fee for electric cars in NY. Mu original reg fees were done at the dealership and rolled into the financing so I dont really know.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/registration-and-title-fees-by-state.aspx

Here's a PDF that lists fees by state. See where you stack up.
http://www.ncsl.org/Portals/1/Documents/transportation/Motor_Vehicle_Registration_Fees_18014.pdf

Not in California, the prices just keep going up.
I have a 1999 chevy metro. Registration slowly worked its way down to $25, then back up to $125. Notice for electric cars there is an additional $100. Not collecting enough gas tax from electric cars.
Like they are repairing roads with the money.

In Ohio BEV's and PHEVs pay a $200 tax on top of what an ICE pays. If you own a hybrid without a plug, you pay $100 more since your car is clearly too efficient to contribute your fair share...

Lucky me! Since I own 2 BEVs and only drive about 5,000 miles per year, in road tax I now pay $400/year instead of $77 I would have contributed driving an ICE vehicle.

Yep, in VA it costs me more in the extra EV fee than it does for the electricity to run the car.

I can't recall an exact number, but it was stupidly cheap to register my 2012 focus in 2016 here in Arizona. So cheap that I got a 5 year registration.

No joke, I think that was less than $50. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Back