93,300 Miles and Still Rolling

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenmon

How time flies. I started driving my 2012 FFE April 2013 when it had 14 miles on it. I was planning to register on this forum shortly after I started driving me FFE. So I finally registered and the car 93,300 miles mils on it. I have seen a number of people posting with 50K-60K on their cars and would like to hear from others who are closing in on 100K miles. I hope to drive mine for another two years which would put 135K miles on it. By then, I hope to have a few 200+mile range EVs to choose from.

The only repair to the car was a water pump replacement at 27,000 miles. I did have to replace my 12V battery twice. The Ford supplied battery seems to have fragile plates that break and fall to the bottom of the cell shorting out the cell. The second time I replaced the 12V battery, I used a regular battery that was similar in size to the original battery. I need to replace my tires for the second time within the next few months. I am still driving on the Michelin EV low rolling resistance tires. I do not like the tires but I do not want to loose the range so I probably buy another set.

I live in San Diego and commute 30 miles each way to work from Rancho San Diego to Ranch Bernardo. Going to work I drive west on I8 and north on I15. Today was a relatively warm morning and I used 6.1 KWH and arrived at work with 54% battery capacity. My lifetime energy usage is 241KWH per mile.

Zen

Great to hear from you. I've been wanting to know. What happened after the free 5 years of MFM services were up? Did you get a bill? How much a month is it? Or is it still working, even after 5 years of service?

Thx!

9 months on my 2017 with almost 22,000 miles, hopefully I'll catch up to that before too long... probably be over 100K before the loan's done paying off. What symptoms did you see when the water pump failed?

scottt said:
Great to hear from you. I've been wanting to know. What happened after the free 5 years of MFM services were up? Did you get a bill? How much a month is it? Or is it still working, even after 5 years of service?

Thx!

I purchased my 2013 CPO two years ago. Its in service date is December 2012. Five plus years later, MFM is working as it always has. No fees.

Zenmon said:
How time flies. I started driving my 2012 FFE April 2013 when it had 14 miles on it. I was planning to register on this forum shortly after I started driving me FFE. So I finally registered and the car 93,300 miles mils on it. I have seen a number of people posting with 50K-60K on their cars and would like to hear from others who are closing in on 100K miles. I hope to drive mine for another two years which would put 135K miles on it. By then, I hope to have a few 200+mile range EVs to choose from.

The only repair to the car was a water pump replacement at 27,000 miles. I did have to replace my 12V battery twice. The Ford supplied battery seems to have fragile plates that break and fall to the bottom of the cell shorting out the cell. The second time I replaced the 12V battery, I used a regular battery that was similar in size to the original battery. I need to replace my tires for the second time within the next few months. I am still driving on the Michelin EV low rolling resistance tires. I do not like the tires but I do not want to loose the range so I probably buy another set.

I live in San Diego and commute 30 miles each way to work from Rancho San Diego to Ranch Bernardo. Going to work I drive west on I8 and north on I15. Today was a relatively warm morning and I used 6.1 KWH and arrived at work with 54% battery capacity. My lifetime energy usage is 241KWH per mile.

Zen

You must be king of the hill with respect to mileage on a FFE. When was the last time you did a battery run-down test? Would be curious to know what degradation you are seeing after that many miles.

Also, any plans to replace your car at the end of the year, when you lose the ability to drive solo in the carpool lane? I'm considering......

scottt said:

Thx!

MFM is still working without having to pay for it.

spirilis said:
9 months on my 2017 with almost 22,000 miles, hopefully I'll catch up to that before too long... probably be over 100K before the loan's done paying off. What symptoms did you see when the water pump failed?

When my water pump failed my car displayed the Wrench Alert. I don't remember the exact text but it was something to the effect of "Battery System Error" The problem detected was that the battery coolant was overheating. Other than that, I did not notice any symptoms.

campfamily said:
Zenmon said:

Zen

You must be king of the hill with respect to mileage on a FFE. When was the last time you did a battery run-down test? Would be curious to know what degradation you are seeing after that many miles.

Also, any plans to replace your car at the end of the year, when you lose the ability to drive solo in the carpool lane? I'm considering......

I plan on driving the car for an additional two years. I installed solar panels on my house and bought the car at the same time. Crunching the numbers, my cash flow turned positive after five years, and the combo pays for itself after seven years. Loosing carpool lane privileges is annoying, however it does not help me on my regular commute. I will probably sign up for FastTrack for the few times a month that I need it.

I never did a battery run-down test. What is interesting though is that about two years ago, one of the FFE recalls included reprogramming the motor control module. Afterwards my KWh/M improved by about 10% . Now I get the same reserve after completing my 60 mile round trip commute as I did when the car was new. My unscientific observation is that my range noticeably improves when the temperature is 68F or above. I hope that I will have more and better alternatives for replacing the car in two years.

I am really happy to hear about your high milage FFE! I plan on owning my 2017 for many years!

Zenmon said:

Zen

Nice! Good to hear that these cars can last!

Back