Battery Charge

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akua

I'm getting conflicting results from people about the battery charge.

One person said the battery life will last longer if I don't charge past 80%,
Another personal said I can charge it to 100% and leave it plugged in for as long as I want without hurting the battery.

I am using an ELMEC EVduty 240VAC

Thanks in advance-

It's my understanding that lithium ion batteries charged to only 80% will last longer. A friend of mine has a Tesla that he has set up to only charge to 80%, which gives him 200 mile range. He can always override the setting and get his full 250 miles if he needs it for a long trip. But with the limited range of our FFEs, I don't worry about trying to pamper the battery. At 120 mile range on my 2017 FFE, I need all the miles I can get. I expect the battery will last 10 years easily with little reduction in range. The car's onboard charger will stop charging at 100%, so no worries about overcharging. I have heard that DC quick charging is harder on the battery than 240V. I don't quick charge that often so it's not a worry either.

Note that Ford actually left a little at the top and bottom.

Thus when the gauge reads 0% there is still something like 5-10% in the battery. Likewise when the gauge reads 100% its really around 90% full.

One more question-

When the car is charging (2017 year) the 4 lights on the right side of the plug in flash when it is charging, but once its fully charged
all the light go out. Is that normal? I thought they would stay solid lit up once its full?

Thanks

Akua said:
One more question-

When the car is charging (2017 year) the 4 lights on the right side of the plug in flash when it is charging, but once its fully charged
all the light go out. Is that normal? I thought they would stay solid lit up once its full?

Thanks

Go into the settings on the radio you can set what the charge ring does (not come on at all, go out after charge is complete, or stay on).

Thanks Jmueller

I just got the car so I may have a few follow up questions..

Your friends are both right, but I'll try to clarify:

100% in the FFE corresponds to about 4.07V per cell. That is less than consumer electronics which typically charge to 4.2V per cell. This is done for longevity.

However, you can do even better if you want. It is best practice to store the battery below 4V per cell. I typically only charge my FFE to 80%, as that is 3.9V per cell.

How much does it matter? Hard to say for certain, but I think it worthwhile. You can use the app to notify you when you hit 80%.

My advice: Don't leave the car at high SoC for long periods. If your daily commute allows, try to only charge to 80% or so.

Other OEMs allow you to control the SoC limit. It would be great if the FFE had that functionality.

Interesting article. I've heard this line of thinking that EV manufactures incorporate into the battery before.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/electric_vehicle_ev

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/about_the_author

Back