Almost 3 years, My first Stop Safely Now

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campfamily

Got my first "Stop Safely Now" warning today, and I wasn't even driving. My car is parked in the garage, this evening I went out to drive down to the market. Unplugged the car, got in, pushed the button, noticed a couple of extra clicks (relays?), and although everything turned on, the green "Ready to Drive" symbol didn't come on. Then, about two seconds later, I got the "Stop Safely Now" warning with the chimes. Shut everything off, tried it again, same thing. Let the car sit for an hour or so, tried it again, same thing. Battery shows 100% charged.

Just out of curiosity I checked the Ford mobile app, and I have a red warning for Battery system health.

So, guess it's off to the dealer in the morning.

35 months, 31,000 miles.

Keith

Thats the exact thing that my car did before being towed away. It did it twice. The first time I attached the bluetooth dongle, opened up Forescan and cleared the codes (there were many). It started right up. Worked fine for a couple of weeks then started with a wrench warning every now and then until one morning it did the same thing. Had it towed to the dealer and here we are 3 months later with no resolution. Hopefully yours is a simple fix.

Carbuff said:
Thats the exact thing that my car did before being towed away. It did it twice. The first time I attached the bluetooth dongle, opened up Forescan and cleared the codes (there were many). It started right up. Worked fine for a couple of weeks then started with a wrench warning every now and then until one morning it did the same thing. Had it towed to the dealer and here we are 3 months later with no resolution. Hopefully yours is a simple fix.

Thanks for the response. Boy, I hope I'm not 3 months from a solution......

Yeah, my car never died while driving. Other than the warning wrench, it drove fine. It was the non starting thing that became the problem. The ssn is really a generic warning that gets triggered when the cars computer is not happy with anything involving the HVB. So it can be caused by many things. Unfortunately it also causes the car to shut down. My car had so many stored codes that seemed not to be related, from hvb isolation circuit to left and right headlight circuit to antilock brake circuit. It was a mess. My guess is that they will clean your lower battery connector and check for cracks, then replace the high voltage harness. That seems to fix most of these problems.

UPDATE.....got a call from the dealer a bit ago, apparently a critter has chewed through a small wire in one of the HV harnesses. The service advisor is going to send me a picture of the offending wire, he says it is a small green wire external to the main harness, probably a sensing wire. When the technician jumpered the wire, the car started right up. Now, the question is whether they can fix it just by making the jumper permanent, or if the entire harness must be replaced. He said that if it's the whole harness, get ready to call the insurance company. They have a call in to Ford to see if the repair approach is okay from a safety perspective. I certainly hope so!!

Different note, the dealer gave us a Taurus SEL as a loaner. Man, I can see why Ford is planning to discontinue those, so far behind the competition like the Camry, Maxima, Impala, even the Charger. Can't imagine why anybody would buy one of them, except if it was REALLY cheap.

Keith

campfamily said:
UPDATE.....got a call from the dealer a bit ago, apparently a critter has chewed through a small wire in one of the HV harnesses. The service advisor is going to send me a picture of the offending wire, he says it is a small green wire external to the main harness, probably a sensing wire. When the technician jumpered the wire, the car started right up. Now, the question is whether they can fix it just by making the jumper permanent, or if the entire harness must be replaced. He said that if it's the whole harness, get ready to call the insurance company. They have a call in to Ford to see if the repair approach is okay from a safety perspective. I certainly hope so!!

Different note, the dealer gave us a Taurus SEL as a loaner. Man, I can see why Ford is planning to discontinue those, so far behind the competition like the Camry, Maxima, Impala, even the Charger. Can't imagine why anybody would buy one of them, except if it was REALLY cheap.

Keith

Thats good news. I hope they can just repair the wire. If its just a sensing wire it should be ok. There was a thread on here a little while ago where the OP had a similar situation and Ford wanted to replace a whole harness or even the pump for the A/C because of 1 broken wire. He said no and fixed it himself and was fine. He avoided a big repair bill. I dont know how that would affect future warranty claims though. Hopefully they can just repair it.

Carbuff said:
campfamily said:

Keith

Thats good news. I hope they can just repair the wire. If its just a sensing wire it should be ok. There was a thread on here a little while ago where the OP had a similar situation and Ford wanted to replace a whole harness or even the pump for the A/C because of 1 broken wire. He said no and fixed it himself and was fine. He avoided a big repair bill. I dont know how that would affect future warranty claims though. Hopefully they can just repair it.

Update 2.....Ford okayed the harness repair. Will still cost me $375 or so, once diagnosis, repair, and verification all get added, but certainly a lot less than replacing the harness.

Now to get a cat to keep the critters out of my garage!!

Keith

campfamily said:
Carbuff said:
campfamily said:

Keith

Update 2.....Ford okayed the harness repair. Will still cost me $375 or so, once diagnosis, repair, and verification all get added, but certainly a lot less than replacing the harness.

Now to get a cat to keep the critters out of my garage!!

Keith

Lots of high voltage in these cars. Critter lucky he did not explode! :p

Back