Lease a new 2018 FFE vs purchase a used 2014 FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madari

Hi. I am trying to decide between leasing a new 2018 FFE (such a hassle to negotiate a good deal) or purchase a used 2015 FFE with 21K (easy peazy process with Carmax.) There seem to be upsides to both but I am most concerned with the battery life and possible maintenance of an older model. I also would not be getting the $2500 rebate with the used car.
Some questions:
How do you perform a battery run down test if I want to test the 2014?
Anyone know a dealership in Southern California where I can get an easy, fair lease?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Madari - what is your plan for this car? Long term ownership, or a quick two to three years until something better (and it will) comes out? If long term, then buy. If short term, lease. Keep in mind the 2018 has a bigger battery than the 2016 and earlier cars.

To do a batteryrun down test, charge the battery to 100%. Reset the trip odometer. Drive the car around until the battery is almost discharged. Park next to a charging station. Roll down the windows and turn the heater on max (the heater uses a lot of battery power). Let it run until the battery is fully discharged. Then read the power used from the trip odometer.

I bought my car new. In retrospect, I probably should have leased it. If I were in the market today, I'd likely be leasing a new Chevy Bollt. Four years ago the FFE was competitive with the rest of the EVs, and was the best price. That is no longer true, as Ford has not kept up with industry in this technology.

PM me if you'd like the name of a good dealer and sales rep that will give you a fair deal if you decide to go with a new FFE.

Good luck!

Keith

$21K for a used 2014-2015 FFE is way too high. Should be closer to $12K or less.
Buying a new 2017 FFE with the discounts for the remaining ones plus CA rebate and Fed tax credit should offer a better deal plus getting a bigger battery.

Check out Mossy Ford in San Diego I see they have several new 2017 FFEs listed in stock with discounts for price under $24K before tax credits/rebates. I also see they have a used 2016 FFE listed for under $17K.

Oh yeah, $21,000 for a used FFE is way too much money.

Sounds like you will go the lease route, or buying a brand new one.

However, if you do buy a used FFE, I'd go for a 12 or 13, for around $8,000. The car has just as much life left in it as the 14. Battery is the same size. You can fuss over the battery, and drive yourself nuts. Or just buy the darn car and move on. Battery degradation isn't anywhere near the mountain made out of it. It is with Leafs, not with the FFE. I'm also assuming you figured out how much you will drive and the range of the original FFE is more than enough.

There's basically nothing to really look at with the car, tires are all. Well standard body dents, scratches and the like. Just inspect the tires carefully. That's the biggest maintenance cost in the car.

I think the Madiri was saying the used 2015 FFE has 21K miles on the odo, not that is priced at $21k to buy.

Twinstangs said:
I think the Madiri was saying the used 2015 FFE has 21K miles on the odo, not that is priced at $21k to buy.
Oh so right, stupid me for reading that wrong. Hopefully the price is down in the $9,000 area.

EVA said:
Twinstangs said:
Oh so right, stupid me for reading that wrong. Hopefully the price is down in the $9,000 area.

Yep, I just checked the CarMax website for used FFEs in California.
I found one 2015 FFE but it has 9K miles listed, at a $15.5K price.
The cheapest FFE listed there is a 2012 with 40K miles for $10.6K price.

Outside of carmax, I found a used 2012 FFE with 74K miles for sale at a Southern CA Chevy dealer for $8K.

Absolutely Lease! I leased a 2017 FFE with leather last November for the following amounts...

Monthly $272 for 36 mo (15k miles/year)
$0 Drive off
$8080 residual at lease end.

Do the math. $9792 in total lease payments (minus $2500 CA rebate and $500 PG&E rebate) = $6792
If I chose to return the car, I'm out about $2K after my gas and maintenance savings over a comparable ICE vehicle.

If I chose to buy the car, add $8080+tax for about $8800 total drive off.

So to own the car outright would be $15,599! And compared to getting a used FFE, you don't have limited range and warranty concerns.

I purchased a 2017 FFE last summer for $23K from the dealership in Tracy California. With the $10K in rebates available, it cost me $13K. If I could have qualifed for the California state tax rebate of $2,500, it would have cost me $10,500. Of course you pay sales tax on the full $23K. Some of the dealerships here in CA are giving the FFEs away. Call around and see what kind of deal you can get. It may be worth the travel expense.

Back