3 Years with my FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFEsquared

I sold my Focus Electric. Sad to see it go but excited to get my Model 3 soon. It was a great car. Fun to drive and fun to own. It had the least depreciation of any vehicle I've ever owned or expect to own. The difference between the purchase price minus rebates and what I sold it for was less than $3,000! That is less depreciation than any new car I purchased the day after I bought it. Too bad I had to pay sales tax on the purchase price. There weren't any lease deals like there were in 2016 so I couldn't have avoided that. A quick comparison to what I expect my next car to have follows.

What I will miss about my FFE:
The Focus blends in which I prefer
No one judges me when I use a free charger
Long service interval
Nearby service
Hatchback design/looks
Charge port location
Does not drain the HVB when parked
Text reminders to charge
The phone app stores recent trip data
Braking coach
The people on this forum

Things I won't miss:
Not enough regeneration in L
Bunny hop when you hit a big bump while braking
Turning radius

FFEsquared said:
No one judges me when I use a free charger
Having gone from the FFE to the C-Max there is also some guilt involved (at least on my part). When I had the FFE and used a public charger it was because I had to, now when I use one with the C-Max I look around to make sure there is a free spot because I know I don't really need it.

Invariably, however, whenever I do use one parked right next to me charging is another C-Max or a Volt (at least in our area) and thus I don't feel so bad. I am seeing quite a few Bolts on the road but none at public chargers--I'd guess that 230+ miles is good enough for daily demands and public charging isn't necessary.

My FFE is sitting with a nearly dead battery at the Detroit airport. I went to several lots looking for at least a plug so I wouldn't have to wait when I get back today to charge. I ended up at the north parking garage where there was one i3 and the rest of the spots were taken by Volts. So today I will sit in the parking garage for 3 hours while I charge so I can get home. Lesson learned, DON'T fly out on a Tuesday. My Model 3 cannot come soon enough!

triangles said:
My FFE is sitting with a nearly dead battery at the Detroit airport. I went to several lots looking for at least a plug so I wouldn't have to wait when I get back today to charge. I ended up at the north parking garage where there was one i3 and the rest of the spots were taken by Volts. So today I will sit in the parking garage for 3 hours while I charge so I can get home. Lesson learned, DON'T fly out on a Tuesday. My Model 3 cannot come soon enough!
Go out the exit to Eureka road, do the U-Turn and plug into the Level 2 chargers at the cell-phone lot--nobody ever charges there.
This lot.

Edit: Of course you probably already knew that...

That is a cool list of things you'll miss. Oddly, you got them exactly right or I agree compared to a Model S (I can only guess the Model 3 will be the same).
The one that stood out for me yeah - there is no brake coach, you have to learn how to be smooth in a Tesla.

Here's one you won't realize right away - that cool meter that tells you how you are doing on energy use compared to how far your trip is, the budget number. Tesla has nothing like that. The graphs they have are really hard to use (you have to track the space between two lines), you have to study and watch energy consumption graphs to figure it out. They have a percent left at the end of your trip - next to useless for conserving energy, it takes forever to change. Honestly, they put bad engineering screens up for people to attempt to understand. Strange something so simple could be so badly done by them.

I actually love both cars for very different reasons.

Enjoy your model 3.

jmueller065 said:
Go out the exit to Eureka road, do the U-Turn and plug into the Level 2 chargers at the cell-phone lot--nobody ever charges there.

Edit: Of course you probably already knew that...
:lol: Yup I've used the two there before. I couldn't take the risk that those EVSEs were out of service. There's at least one charge point down at each garage and with the way my day was going (lost my phone) the two chargepoints at the cellphone lot would be out of service too. Anyway, I get to my car and for the first time since last September my 12V was completely dead! :evil: Somebody who wanted my spot jumpstarted me because my lithium jump starter wasn't powerful enough. So drove up to the charge stations and I just unplugged a Volt and the cord reaches the aisle if you park close behind. Apparently the Volt's car alarm goes off when you unplug them. Then one of the Volt drivers came and left so I just plugged the Volt back in and used the now empty spot. Got enough of a charge to get to Monroe after an hour and 40 minutes. I was nice enough to plug in the Volt next to me who was parked at one of the broken chargpoints when I left. I had my wife meet me in Monroe and we left the FFE to charge enough to get home while we went out for dinner.

Back