California Owners - White HOV stickers expiring Jan 2019?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campfamily

To California Owners - I understand that the current white HOV stickers will expire in Jan 2019. However, it's not clear to me whether our cars (particularly those that received stickers prior to 2017) will be eligible for the new HOV stickers (red sticker??). Have any of you taken a look at the new legislation that our crack legislative team up in Sacramento issued a few months ago and tried to make sense of it? I have read it, and for the life of me, can't figure it out. And, I've done a bit of trolling on other forums (even, heaven forbid, Tesla forums!!), and there seems to be confusion there as well.

I will say that HOV lane usage is one of the big reasons I have my FFE, and if that privilege were revoked, I would almost certainly get rid of my car. But, I'd prefer to hold off on doing that, as I see a whole bunch of new EVs coming out in the next 24 months or so, and would like to have a larger selection of vehicles to choose from when it comes time to get rid of the FFE.

Keith

I looked at it recently and here is what I understood. If you have white stickers in CA now...or ever had stickers, that vehicle will no longer be able to ride in the carpool lane with a solo driver upon the Jan 1, 2019 expiration.

However, it seems that CA wants to still extend that perk to new EV cars by giving 3 years of HOV use. So if you first got your stickers in 2017, you will get an additional year. I don't think what color stickers were mentioned, but it seemed you'd get new stickers that were valid till 2020. If you buy a qualifying car in 2018, you will get stickers good till 2021...and so-forth till 2025 when the program ends.

The car doesn't need to be new...just that it never had stickers before...so used cars qualify.

CA drivers should swap cars with FFE drivers in other states...especially if their state does something similar...or just move out of CA :)

One thing I've noticed is that the HOV lanes are filled with mostly white and green stickered vehicles. I've noticed in my commute that the carpool lane is getting more and more congested which is why I think the state is reducing the eligibility of the new stickers.

Well, that sucks......being able to use the HOV lane saves me 10 or so minutes in the morning, more than 20 in the afternoon. I'm either going to have to find somebody to ride with me, or get a new BEV. Or, just suck it up.

triangles said:
You could also move somewhere that traffic isn't a problem.....

Youngest kid finishes high School in a bit over of year. Once that happens, moving will be an option. Waiting to see where he ends up going to college, ability to move will be dictated on how much it costs us for school. His older brother got a full ride, hoping the younger one does the same. If so, might be time to hang it up and enjoy the rest of my time.

Article in the LA Times on this subject.....

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-clean-air-car-decals-20180917-story.html

Not looking good for retaining HOV lane access. :cry:

Keith

The way I read it is: if you bought your car on or after Jan 1 2017 you can apply at the end of this year for a new sticker. Will it be red? I don't know.

I bought my Focus Electric in June and it now sports a red sticker.

The state is trying to comply with the federal law that says 45mph must be maintained on average to continue to receive federal funds. IMO the state should have an agency or division that monitors traffic and writes citations if there are violations... :roll:

Fat Focus said:
The way I read it is: if you bought your car on or after Jan 1 2017 you can apply at the end of this year for a new sticker. Will it be red? I don't know.

:roll:

That is correct. I bought my car in May 2015, so I have a white sticker. Unless our wonderful legislators change the current rules, my white sticker (which, by the way, is almost impossible to remove) will simply be an ugly reminder of what I used to be able to do.

Keith

I just sold a perfectly good 2014 Fusion Energi to my brother and bought the Focus to stay in the lanes legally. I have too much pride to just self insure against tickets, like tens of thousands of others do. Luckily, I like the Focus a lot. I've cashed my $500 PGE check, got my approval email from the state saying I'll get the $2500 from them, and I'll use every bit of that $7500 federal tax credit if all goes to plan.

Here's the CA HOV Lane Decal Page for reference.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/decal

Incentives. Tax breaks. HOV access. Mandatory sales quotas. So much effort to try and overcome the indomitable force of the free market. Each continually tweaked as natural demand and unintended consequences work a way around it.

I bought a used FFE with no financial incentives in a state with no HOV access. Still bought it because it was the car I wanted.

Eventually, electric cars will need to stand on their own merit. That day is getting closer.

kalel14 said:
Incentives. Tax breaks. HOV access. Mandatory sales quotas. So much effort to try and overcome the indomitable force of the free market. Each continually tweaked as natural demand and unintended consequences work a way around it.

I bought a used FFE with no financial incentives in a state with no HOV access. Still bought it because it was the car I wanted.

Eventually, electric cars will need to stand on their own merit. That day is getting closer.

Yep. Electric cars are in their infancy. They've only been around for a hundred and twenty years or so. Someday soon they will stand on their own legs!

Back