An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:42 am 

I set 18.5C (65F) in gotimes and as for autostart - i've tried both: "auto" and "last settings".

and here we have 240V only. But it plugged in through its convenience charger which was modified to work with 240V grid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:40 am 

Got any info on how the convenience cord was modified? I've been trying to modify mine but I think the GFCI is screwing me up. It keeps Faulting after charging for a few minutes. Also what is the part number on your convience cord? Should be something like "FM85-10B706-AH."

BTW that convenience cord can only supply 2.88kW which might have something to do with it. I noticed that when I plug in at 2.88kW the battery heater doesn't come on. Where when I plug in my 7.7kW EVSE the battery heater kicks in. It sounds like a distant leaf blower.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm 

I've just gone outside and checked: mine part number is FM58-10B706AD
And also it is charging at the moment, but shouldn't. Value charge time begins in several hours... Unplugged, checked settings and plugged back again and it started to charge again.. wtf (timezones differ somewhere in display and tcu?)

And as for remote start when plugged in - yes, i beleave car decides what to do. If it sees that input power is not enough - heater doesn't work. Probaly charger tells it's output power.
I performed an experiment: unplug, autostart - consuption gauge shows climate max consume. Plug in - vents still blows, but climate consumtion goes to zero.

Unfortunately i don't have any detailes on how it was modified. I just can assume, that it has some logic inside to check ground and, maybe, comunicate with a car. That logic needs power suply for its work and basically all you need is to change that tiny PSU. At least Nissan's charger needs only that transformer to be replaced.

As for your faults - try to change socket polarity (neutral and line). I saw somewhere on locan nissan leaf forum about such issue. That helped in that case.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 am 

kokurlia wrote:
And also it is charging at the moment, but shouldn't. Value charge time begins in several hours...

The priority is the Go Time, not the Value Charge. So if it thinks it needs to charge in order to be 100% full at the GoTime it will charge even outside the value charge window.

As described above, when you set a Go Time there is a setting for the cabin temperature. I normally do the 72 degree setting. And it will only use as much power as the outlet can provide, it will not drain the battery to pre-condition the cabin.

You said you have 240v available, but you're just charging with the Ford-provided plug? Does it pull 12 amps? That still will only give you maybe 2800 watts or so total (less after the efficiency drop through the charger). If you had an adapter capable of 30+ amps you would see a difference (the car pulls about 29 amps max).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:45 am 

I see. I set GoTimes to 9am and plugged in in the evening, about 7pm. Why it starts charging even if it has 70% battery?

Also this weekend i noticed "waiting for charge" and "start at 23:00" instead of simple current time as a start time! I was so happy - "it works finally" i thought. But no :) it just can appear randomly. Once i notices it blinks rapidly between those two options...

my latest hypothesis is: tcu module (now i know that it is responsible for valuecharge, gotimes and communication) is doing something (trying to connect or so) and it simply busy. Don't know its algorithm so who knows.

It would be great to update tcu and all my issues might gone. But here it is problematic for me. Keep researching for places who has spare parts and can program this module...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 am 

cecil-t wrote:
You said you have 240v available, but you're just charging with the Ford-provided plug? Does it pull 12 amps? That still will only give you maybe 2800 watts or so total (less after the efficiency drop through the charger).

This it interesting moment. I have modified Ford-provided plug so it works with 240V. Car consumes up to 3kW approx.
But it never preheat cabing when plugged in. Heater takes 5+kW according to dashboard. So it makes sense - not to overload charger. But also, when cabin goes warmer, heater takes about 1.5kW - so it can work in a "economy mode". Why this doesn't use for preheating when plugged in?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:07 pm 

FYI I have mine set for value charging and in winter when the battery is cold it will ignore value setting and heat/charge the battery. It stops at some point I assume it's once the battery is up to 50F. It then finishes charging at the prescribed value charge time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:49 am 

Hi guys, some update.

I received my els27 adapter two days ago. I had no luck with focccus app. It can't read all the data correctly and says about checksum mismatch. But after receiving Forscan extended license i managed to disable MyKey. So even having 1 keyfob it is definitely possible.
Also i decided to turn off TPMS, at least till summer (winter tyres don't have sensors and that warning is so annoying)

So now i have two issues less :)

The only major thing left is buggy value charge and minor one is lack of internet connectivity. Keep going...
This car just can't stand still in a garage :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:52 am 

Did they update forscan? About a year ago you could only do up to MK2 focus keys with forscan. Or were you just able to turn off the "my key" limitations? You can turn off TPMS with forscan? Please do tell how.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 am 

I've just downloaded it from official site (for windows). It shows 2.3.13 beta version.

Configuration and Proframming tab -> Central Configuration - main. There is a filter on the top. Type "Mykey" and there you have it. Also in the IPC there is also MyKey and you can disable it there as well. TPMS also somewhere there.. I knew i should take a pictures while doing that :)