An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:01 pm 

triangles wrote:
Don't quote me but I think APIM= accessory protocol interface module. It's basically the screen/computer on the dash. It's more or less your interface to the car. I don't think much would stop working without it but you wouldn't be able to change any settings.

Thanks triangles.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:36 am 

Quick update:

They replaced the APIM again, and this one seems correct. The dealer gave a loaner for the first replacement that took 7 days, and another loaner for the second replacement for 10 days. The strangest thing is the both loaners were brand new cars (29 miles and 12 miles) on it. I was told that they wanted to put 2,000 miles on it, and move it to the Used Car lot. I assume that they make more money there, than in the New Car lot. They are the largest Ford dealer in the world for the last 25 years.

Regards,

GHTech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:14 am 

Doesn't make sense as a new car loses thousands of dollars in value when you drive it off the lot. I'm guessing there must be some tax advantage or kickback from ford for them losing money having to sell them as used.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 am 

triangles wrote:
Doesn't make sense as a new car loses thousands of dollars in value when you drive it off the lot. I'm guessing there must be some tax advantage or kickback from ford for them losing money having to sell them as used.

Hi Triangles!

Agreed. They are the largest Ford dealer in the world for a reason. :)

Regards,

GHTech

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 am 

triangles wrote:

Have a friend that's a car dealer.....what he told me is that the dealership marks the car as sold, which lets them take advantage of the various incentives that the manufacturer gives the dealership for selling the car (so called "trunk money"). They put the car in the loaner fleet, then when it has 2000 miles on it, they put it on the lot as a used car with a bit of a markdown from MSRP. Folks see that and say "hey, why buy a new one when I can buy this almost new one with only 2000 miles on it for X dollars off!!" What's not discussed is that, with some good negotiating skills, one could likely get the same discount or more off of a brand new one. The dealer then gets the incentives up front, and sells the same car for just a bit under MSRP. Win win for them.

Dealers also use this approach when they need to meet a certain sales target, say month or quarter end, or to coincide with a marketing push from the manufacturer. BMW / Mercedes / Lexus do this every year around year-end to improve year-end sales to claim they sold more cars than the other guy. The dealers just put them into their demo / loaner fleet.

Finally, many dealers make more money from selling used cars than they do from selling new ones.

Go Galpin!!

Keith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 am 

I bet there's even more to it with a BEV - the dealership probably gets the full $7,500 tax credit. Just like leasing companies get the money. So yeah, they make a ton more money selling the FFE used than they do new.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:45 am 

I bet there's even more to it with a BEV - the dealership probably gets the full $7,500 tax credit. Just like leasing companies get the money. So yeah, they make a ton more money selling the FFE used than they do new.

Although all that misses a big cost, the cost of carrying the inventory.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:56 pm 

EVA wrote:

Hi EVA!

I forgot to mention that the loaners that they gave me were 2018 Ford Fusion Energi models. But, they are definitely working the numbers in their favor. Galpin has been around since 1946 and have about 10 brands they represent, so they know the business.

Regards,

GHTech

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 pm 

GHTech wrote:
EVA wrote:

Hi EVA!

I forgot to mention that the loaners that they gave me were 2018 Ford Fusion Energi models. But, they are definitely working the numbers in their favor. Galpin has been around since 1946 and have about 10 brands they represent, so they know the business.

Regards,

GHTech

OK that works rather well. Fusions are sweet cars. Especially the Energi.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:03 pm 

EVA wrote:
OK that works rather well. Fusions are sweet cars. Especially the Energi.

The only thing is that I charged up both cars, and the first one felt "sluggish" when I pressed the gas, like a regular car. The second car was charged twice, and on one occasion it felt like an electric car, and the other time like a gas car. On all the test, the EV Only option was selected. I missed the FFE during that time. But, totally agree the space, and comfort was much better.