2017 FFE let's get some real data here.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joeyfraser said:
It was -18C this morning in Montreal, Qc this morning. I drive 55 km for commute, total of 110 km. I have to stop by a DC fast charger when it is colder than -10C because I do not have enough battery to come back home. My range was around 200 km in the summer, it is normal to have 40/50% less in extreme cold weather.
If you have a heated garage and a route that allows you to keep your speed under 80km/h and you sparingly use heat you should be able to make your 110km trip with single digit km left on the guess-o-meter. But if you have the option for a charger to top off a little then that's probably better for the longevity of your battery as opposed to running it flat every day.

triangles said:
joeyfraser said:
It was -18C this morning in Montreal, Qc this morning. I drive 55 km for commute, total of 110 km. I have to stop by a DC fast charger when it is colder than -10C because I do not have enough battery to come back home. My range was around 200 km in the summer, it is normal to have 40/50% less in extreme cold weather.
If you have a heated garage and a route that allows you to keep your speed under 80km/h and you sparingly use heat you should be able to make your 110km trip with single digit km left on the guess-o-meter. But if you have the option for a charger to top off a little then that's probably better for the longevity of your battery as opposed to running it flat every day.
Unfortunately I don’t have a heated garage. :cry: I leave early before 6 am and I prefer to drive on the highway (between 95 km/h and 100 km/h) when we have snow for a safer trip. I would be able to do 110 km if it was a one way trip. The problem is that my car sit in a parking lot unplugged for 10 hours (because they have only 2 Level 2 charging stations and they are rarely available after 6 am.) and i use 5 to 10% of my battery to remote start my car 2-3 times to get my car heated when I return home. :shock:
I will probably rent an interior parking near of my work (with 7 free level 2 charging stations ) in February next year so I should not have problems in the winter! :D
I hope that we will not have too many cold days under -10C until that... :?

It's been -5C in the mornings the last couple of days, here in the Toronto Area. I unplugged my car after more than enough time for a full charge and I had only 170km. Other times I've had 183km-209km! My garage is not heated, but it's not super cold, either.
When I drive to work I'm usually in the + when I park. But when I leave, no matter what I do, I always tend to lose kms and end up in the negative. It's so frustrating.

FFE-Guy said:
It's been -5C in the mornings the last couple of days, here in the Toronto Area. I unplugged my car after more than enough time for a full charge and I had only 170km. Other times I've had 183km-209km! My garage is not heated, but it's not super cold, either.
When I drive to work I'm usually in the + when I park. But when I leave, no matter what I do, I always tend to lose kms and end up in the negative. It's so frustrating.
Don't get frustrated: Its just the nature of the beast. You can't always have +'s if you did the car would be infinitely efficient! More than likely your work is at a lower elevation than your home. Thus when you go to work your car is going downhill (even slightly) and coming home you're going uphill.

I had a similar situation with my FFE: My work was at a higher elevation than my home: -'s in the morning and +'s in the evening.

In addition, the GOM isn't just giving you a range from your overnight in the garage it also uses the prior days trip to calculate the guess. Thus over time as the temp has dropped you're using more juice to get where you are going and the battery capacity has dropped a little (and the heaters run more to keep the battery warm). Thus the Wh/mile increases lowering the GOM guess. So on a full charge in the morning your range will be lower...Its the nature of the beast.

If you are getting about equal +'s and -'s then you're driving as efficiently as you can (anything else and you're either catching up or falling behind the top of that efficiency curve).

joeyfraser said:
Unfortunately I don’t have a heated garage. :cry: I leave early before 6 am and I prefer to drive on the highway (between 95 km/h and 100 km/h) when we have snow for a safer trip. I would be able to do 110 km if it was a one way trip. The problem is that my car sit in a parking lot unplugged for 10 hours (because they have only 2 Level 2 charging stations and they are rarely available after 6 am.) and i use 5 to 10% of my battery to remote start my car 2-3 times to get my car heated when I return home. :shock:

My garage isn't heated either but it sort of is when I put a fan in the open door to the house! :lol:

Honestly 95-100km/hr is still relatively slow as far as speed impacting range. My personal experience is that up to 80km/hr has negligible effect on range. 80-100km/hr you'll start to notice a little hit. The farther above 100km/hr you go the hit to your range grows exponentially.

What!?!? you have to remote start 2-3 times? You must not be a native Canadian. I always thought 0C was shorts weather for Canadians and -10C only required a light jacket. Hell I didn't think you guys even turned on the heat until it got down to -20C! :lol: After 3 winters with a '14FFE I was starting to consider myself an honorary Canadian since I generally don't even use the heat until it's below -3C and even then it's sparingly.

triangles said:
joeyfraser said:

My garage isn't heated either but it sort of is when I put a fan in the open door to the house! :lol:

Honestly 95-100km/hr is still relatively slow as far as speed impacting range. My personal experience is that up to 80km/hr has negligible effect on range. 80-100km/hr you'll start to notice a little hit. The farther above 100km/hr you go the hit to your range grows exponentially.

What!?!? you have to remote start 2-3 times? You must not be a native Canadian. I always thought 0C was shorts weather for Canadians and -10C only required a light jacket. Hell I didn't think you guys even turned on the heat until it got down to -20C! :lol: After 3 winters with a '14FFE I was starting to consider myself an honorary Canadian since I generally don't even use the heat until it's below -3C and even then it's sparingly.

I probably use my remote start more often than they average Canadian :D I wear my gloves, scarf and tuque under 0C :lol:

EVA said:
PCPH - nice you took a long trip. That's very cool.

Charging for an hour isn't really that horrible. Doing something else while waiting is a good plan, eating at a restaurant or taking a nap are good things to do with that time. Your other option would be to Uber to a less expensive restaurant. Or grab carry out from a restaurant on your way.

We discovered there is a Cracker Barrel that does this all the time - phone when you are about 20 minutes away and place your order. Then stop by, pick up the food, head to the charging station, and eat while you charge. Either eat in the car, or bring along a massage chairs to have a picnic. It does end up being a nice time.

What do you call the back part of a chair?

Back