Dry rotted tires

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

So, one thing I discovered from my flat tire experience is that my tires are dry rotted. The car was just certified used by ford 3 months ago. Dry rotted tires should not have passed this inspection. I talked to a mechanic not related to the dealership and he said that there are degrees of dry rot and a little is not a big deal. He does inspections for NYS and that usually you have to be able to see the cords past the rubber for it to fail. But my issue is that I bought a certified used ford from the dealer that should have passed a 172 point inspection. Tires are part of it. While the tread is like new the sidewalls are cracking. Ive enclosed a pic. Let me know what you think. Im going to try and get the dealer to spring for new tires. And dont get me started about the crusty brake rotor. LOL.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FWVUA_LKMRwKZf2vTX6qKuuwtSS6eWpb/view?usp=sharing

Wow. That is something I would expect for RV tires (RV's sit a long time and only are used once in a while thus their tires typically don't wear out they rot out and need to be replaced about every 5 years due to sun/rot) not FFE tires.

Its an indication that the car sat out in the sun a lot in its life.

The rotor, on the other hand, looks perfectly fine for an FFE rotor--it doesn't get used that much either since the FFE uses so much regen.

I bought a certified used car (different brand) that had the same issue as yours, also with Michelin tires. I took my car to Discount Tire (actually, America's Tire where I live in Southern California), and they replaced the tires, prorated to the amount of tread remaining on the original tires. While I agree your dealer (and mine) should have addressed this issue, this was the easiest approach to get the problem addressed for me.

Keith

campfamily said:
I bought a certified used car (different brand) that had the same issue as yours, also with Michelin tires. I took my car to Discount Tire (actually, America's Tire where I live in Southern California), and they replaced the tires, prorated to the amount of tread remaining on the original tires. While I agree your dealer (and mine) should have addressed this issue, this was the easiest approach to get the problem addressed for me.

Keith

Thats the thing, the tread is like new. How much of a pro rating did you get?

triangles said:
Carbuff, I have to agree with jmueller065. Your rotor looks great. Do all your tires look like the one in the pic?

Yes all 4 are the originals from 2013 and all have at least a section like that.I have one tire( the flat) that is off the car and if I pinch or bulge the sidewall the cracks become deep valleys.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1INxVYD5YXPg8LlihwYwAttO-dVn2NX15jw/view?usp=sharing

Oh, and the service manager has deferred to the used car manager for the decision on replacing the tires. I have forwarded them all my pictures along with the model and size of the tire.Hopefully they will agree that this should not have passed the ford certified 172 point inspection and just order new tires to be installed when I bring the car back in for them to finish the front end work that they ordered more parts for.

Carbuff said:
campfamily said:

Keith

They measured the tread remaining, compared with what it is new, and then gave me a credit proportional to the wear that the tires were showing. They applied this credit to the sell price of the new tire (did not have to be the same make or model).

My tires had 11,000 miles on them. They had 3/4 tread remaining. They gave me a credit of 75% off of the price of the tire currently on the truck that I could apply to any tire I wanted (I chose a different model of Michelin). I had to pay for mounting and balancing.

Keith

signal twenty said:
where did you buy it from? A bigger dealership would probably not want their name smeared all over social media...

Im actually friends with the owner and have family that works there. I know they have had a lot of turnover in the service dept in the last year so Im trying to be as nice about this as possible. Theyre nice people and have taken care of me very well in the past. Im sure that they will do the right thing.

campfamily said:
Carbuff said:
campfamily said:

Keith

They measured the tread remaining, compared with what it is new, and then gave me a credit proportional to the wear that the tires were showing. They applied this credit to the sell price of the new tire (did not have to be the same make or model).

My tires had 11,000 miles on them. They had 3/4 tread remaining. They gave me a credit of 75% off of the price of the tire currently on the truck that I could apply to any tire I wanted (I chose a different model of Michelin). I had to pay for mounting and balancing.

Keith

Thanks for this info. Good to know in case I have to go this route.

So, good news. 4 new tires on the way. dropped it off today as the other parts came in for the strut mount replacement. Should get it back early next week.

Did you look at the manufacturing date on the tires? The DOT casting tells you how old the tires are. Ford may have put on old tires in 2013? You never know.

Yeah that rot is really bad.

If the dealer won't do something for you - either take up the warranty with another tire shop, or have the dealer file the warranty for you. Pay the incremental you'll owe (you will probably get like 75% off) and ask the dealer if they will mount and balance the tires for free for you. That wouldn't be a horrible deal.

I've found the word "good will" seems to work really well.

EVA said:
Did you look at the manufacturing date on the tires? The DOT casting tells you how old the tires are. Ford may have put on old tires in 2013? You never know.

Yeah that rot is really bad.

If the dealer won't do something for you - either take up the warranty with another tire shop, or have the dealer file the warranty for you. Pay the incremental you'll owe (you will probably get like 75% off) and ask the dealer if they will mount and balance the tires for free for you. That wouldn't be a horrible deal.

I've found the word "good will" seems to work really well.

See the post above yours. LOL. The dealer is replacing the tires.

Both sides of each tire? From a website I found: "Over time, solvent-based products will turn the tires brown. They can also dry the rubber leading to premature cracking. In contrast, water-based tire dressing contains naturally occurring oils that will nourish the rubber."

Gary said:
Both sides of each tire? From a website I found: "Over time, solvent-based products will turn the tires brown. They can also dry the rubber leading to premature cracking. In contrast, water-based tire dressing contains naturally occurring oils that will nourish the rubber."

Yes, on the inner side too. This was due to inactivity/exposure. The PO left it parked most of the time. The lower control arm bushings were dry rotted also and replaced under warranty. There were just 10k miles on the 2013 car.

So an update to my front end rattle saga that started this whole thing and brought the tires to my attention. I got a call from service. They said that all the front end work and new tires were done. The rattle persisted. They looked further into it and found that the wiper linkage on the drivers side was worn out and clanking around. The part will be in tomorrow and it should be all fixed. So, I got a whole new front end and new tires because of a worn out wiper linkage. Works for me.

That's great news.

Hey, I thought the dealer was looking into replacing your tires. That's why I mentioned the other option. Didn't realize they were agreed to replacing everything for you. Honestly, that's a great dealer to do that.

Back