An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:07 pm 

davideos Not sure what the sight glass is for on the top of the battery. but my brand new one I cannot see anything so I guess I'd say it's black too. Sounds like you had something stay on that drained your battery.

Update: My car appears to be fixed now. I tried to charge the 12v friday night after I got it back. The battery must have been bad as it was steaming sulfuric acid in the morning after sitting on the charger over nite. I knew the battery was toast at this point for sure but S&G's I just let it go to see how long it would continue to start my car. It lasted until the following Wednesday. Took it back to the dealer again on that Friday and they replaced the battery under warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 am 

So I did get a new battery awhile ago....I think I posted about it on one of the threads. Although I wasn't sure at the time about the battery, I went to Costco to get another..."no more Motorcraft" I thought, but Costco didn't carry the battery I needed. After a lot of looking, I could not find a replacement battery in stock anywhere...except for the Ford Dealer...*sigh*. So I called up my service representative..who is really good..but she said that Ford will replace the battery if it dies under warranty, but after that, it isn't pro-rated...unless you bought it later. So in other words, the battery I had would not be pro-rated and so I had to buy another Motorcraft. Service adviser told me to be sure to save the receipt because I would need it.

The bubble on the battery is now green!

So I decided to load test the old battery before taking it back for a core deposit refund. I loaded it with a 12V camping refrigerator and, as it turns out, the battery had only a 4AH capacity from fully charged down to 10.5V, when the fridge automatically cuts out. I think the battery capacity is supposed to be over 50AH or more for this sized battery.

I've been running with the new battery for just over a month and I've had no issues.

Regards,
Davideos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 am 

davideos wrote:
I think the battery capacity is supposed to be over 50AH or more for this sized battery.

According to the MotorCraft service manual the OEM BTX 67R 390 battery is 43AH.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:12 pm 

Thanks. I knew it was around 50, but didn't remember where I saw the capacity.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:58 pm 

triangles wrote:
davideos Not sure what the sight glass is for on the top of the battery. but my brand new one I cannot see anything so I guess I'd say it's black too. Sounds like you had something stay on that drained your battery.

Update: My car appears to be fixed now. I tried to charge the 12v friday night after I got it back. The battery must have been bad as it was steaming sulfuric acid in the morning after sitting on the charger over nite. I knew the battery was toast at this point for sure but S&G's I just let it go to see how long it would continue to start my car. It lasted until the following Wednesday. Took it back to the dealer again on that Friday and they replaced the battery under warranty.

Steaming sulfuric acid... Still makes me wonder if one of the problems with these has to do with the high DC-DC voltage, I think I read 14.8V on FORScan Lite last time I checked. Haven't validated that with a multimeter though. 14.8V is awfully high to float a charge on a lead acid battery.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 am 

spirilis the acid steam was caused by my smart charger trying to desulfate the bad battery. I don't attempt to understand it but the smart charger uses some magic voodoo to try and break up the sulfation on the lead plates. Not sure if it's higher voltage, current pulses, or both but it got that battery hot and steaming. Franky I'm surprised it didn't just error out and say the battery was dead. My DC-DC converter is pretty standard at about 14.2V. I would think anything under 15V would be ok but I'm no 12V battery guru.

Last edited by triangles on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:20 pm 

triangles wrote:
spirilis the acid steam was caused by my smart charger trying to desulfate the bad battery. I don't attempt to understand it but the smart charger uses some magic voodoo to try and break up the sulfation on the lead plates. Not sure if it's higher voltage, current pulses, or both but it got that battery hot and steaming. Franky I'm surprised it didn't just error out and say the battery was dead. My DC-DC converter is pretty standard at about 14.2V. I would think anything under 15V would be ok but I'm not 12V battery guru.

Gotcha... high frequency current pulses usually invoked by a high voltage is the technique I've heard of. It can definitely overcharge the battery so that makes sense.