An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:57 am 

Anyone have recommended modifications & accessories for new FFE owners? I realize this is a a general question but hoping for insight from current owners on things they are happy they bought. Thanks!

Previous eco cars
- 2012 Mitsubishi iMiev
- 1995 Black Benz E300D running biodiesel
- 1995 Green Benz E300D running biodiesel

Next eco car
- Seven seat SUV all electric < $50,000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:23 pm 

Some ideas...

:arrow: Add a HomeLink visor if your FFE didn't come with one:
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1242

:arrow: Equip your car with a portable Level 2 charging solution and charge "anywhere":
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1004

:arrow: Get a custom-fitted Covercraft sun shield to keep your FFE (and the battery, which is effectively located inside the cabin) cooler when parked in the sun. Covercraft shields are perfectly-fitted to your car make/model and are much better than the flimsy generic ones available at your local automotive store.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007552NHQ

:arrow: Get a portable DynaPlug "clean" tire puncture repair kit, and avoid using the horrible spray-in sealant "goop" that Ford provides with the car (which leave a mess inside the tire and on the rim, and will ruin your tire pressure sensors):
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1982&start=20#p10896

:arrow: Get your windows tinted with a high-quality UV blocking film. Again, to help keep the cabin cooler and perhaps reduce the energy used by the A/C.

:arrow: Very easy but valuable "mod": Try running your FFE with a higher tire inflation. 38 PSI is the recommended, but some of us have been trying pressures up to 45 PSI, which seems to yield a 10-12% energy savings, which could translate into 10 more miles of range. YMMV.

:arrow: Completely remove the "flip up" organizer and bin assembly in the back of the FFE (it just all lifts out, without hurting anything) and open up quite a bit more room for cargo.

:arrow: Replace all the external bulbs with LEDs. I've done this (mainly for the "coolness" factor; instant on/off), but technically it saves some power (negligible). I would recommend the high-quality (and truly very bright LED bulbs) from http://www.v-leds.com. Their products are worth the price. You'll learn this lesson buying inferior bulbs from other vendors (as I did).

:arrow: Replace the internal bulbs (basically the dome lamps) with LEDs. This can be done with cheaper bulbs, even available on eBay.

:arrow: Quite an advanced mod: Re-wiring the LED "eyebrow" strips on the headlights so they always come on automatically whenever the car is on (sort of like daytime running lights). There's a thread in this forum about that somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:41 pm 

Wow this is a really good list. Going to actually do some of these. Thanks!

Previous eco cars
- 2012 Mitsubishi iMiev
- 1995 Black Benz E300D running biodiesel
- 1995 Green Benz E300D running biodiesel

Next eco car
- Seven seat SUV all electric < $50,000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:02 pm 

Do you have any links (ebay, etc) to compatible replacement LED bulbs for the inside dome lamps?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:42 am 

Sill plates with 'Focus' or 'Electric', lighted or not. (I got the lighted Electric ones. )

http://accessories.ford.com/kit-10604.html

Swapped tail and brake bulbs
Rewired eyebrow lamps as Daytime Running Lamps
Tinted windows 20%
Rear bumper Focus applique
Lighted "Electric" sill plates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:28 pm 

Easy one:

Swap the brake and tail sockets in the rear lamps for a cool, unique look from the back. Reminds me of cats eyes and wiskers. Lol 8-)

Swapped tail and brake bulbs
Rewired eyebrow lamps as Daytime Running Lamps
Tinted windows 20%
Rear bumper Focus applique
Lighted "Electric" sill plates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:21 pm 

This was mentioned in another thread but I did it and it's easy:

Remove the rear head rests if you are not carrying passengers in the back seat. You get improved visibility out of the rear view mirror and also shed about 3 pounds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:24 am 

The first thing I did is window tint. Changes the visual look and makes the inside cooler. I also suggest on upgrading the suspension system such as getting new shocks like bilstein to improve ride quality.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:01 am 

has anyone (I'm sure they're out there...) played around with lowering the suspension on an FFE? I'd be interested in maybe lowering it just a bit and keeping the stock rims...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:24 am 

Don't forget to buy a lithium 12V jump starter and keep it in your glove box for when your 12V dies and you don't want to wait an hour+ for ford's roadside service. The rear hatch needs 12V power to open so if you store the jump starter back there then it will be very difficult to get at when the 12V is dead and you need the jump starter. Most but not all 12V issues have been resolved.