17.1 kWh @ 20,000 miles

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fbitz777 said:
just got 19.2KWH at 18.5k miles on '16FFE

is there a way for that chart to keep updating? also maybe do scale to start at 15kwh instead of zero for better resolution.
One easy way would be to start a public Google Sheets document for people to enter their mileage and capacity. I don't own the FFE yet so I probably wouldn't be the most reliable person to host this.

Battery age is also an important factor. A three year old battery with low miles could easily have faded

I'm active on the Chevy Bolt forum and the guys there want to believe the Bolt battery won't fade in the same way that many here believed, three years ago, that the Focus battery would never fade

These batteries are subject to fade and it's worth the. Effort to take some care in their treatment

Indeed Michael. Also the deeper you discharge the battery between charges also affects battery life/fade. I imagine that's why Tesla has much less battery capacity loss compared to shorter range EV's As batteries become larger I'd expect battery fade to become less of an issue for 3 reasons. 1) further range so % lost range isn't as big of a deal. 2) Improved battery technology. 3) people aren't abusing the batteries as much because there is less need to run the battery down to low SOC.

reached 20k miles on my '16 FFE (15 months) and I have 19.2KWH ...and I have ran the car hard and to zero tens of times.

Maybe battery age is a factor too.

fbitez777 said:
reached 20k miles on my '16 FFE (15 months) and I have 19.2KWH ...and I have ran the car hard and to zero tens of times.

Maybe battery age is a factor too.

15,000 miles and mine is at 18.5kWh

I'm a 2013 (got it last year with 16k miles). Currently at 31k. I would say my battery has stayed the same but I have noticed it seems to fluctuate between 15-16kwh.

How are you guys measuring the capacity. Don't trust ETE on the OBD scanner...In my case that always read higher than what the battery could really deliver.

Only good way is to run the battery top to bottom and look at the energy delivered and with the battery at normal operating temperature.

Yes, age is definitely a factor too. Running the battery down even several times is no big deal...the management system won't let you go anywhere near the area of damage.

High levels of charge and high temperature are significant factors.

I was down in the 15's when I turned in my car at three years, 50K+ miles.

michael said:
How are you guys measuring the capacity. Don't trust ETE on the OBD scanner...

There are a couple of threads that describe a way to do this. In summary, set the trip odo to zero. Run the battery down to zero. Then read the amount of energy consumed. The way I have done it is drive until I've got only a few miles left on the "guess-o-meter", then, with the car in my driveway, turn the heater on full blast with the windows rolled down until I get zero range remaining. You could do the entire draw-down test with the heater, but I'd prefer to use the electricity to drive somewhere.

Keith

I did a run down test on my 2013 FFE in the middle of the summer on a hot day and measured 16.4 kWh at about 45,000 miles, that's down from 16.7 kWh I measured last year in August. Then ran the test again a few weeks ago at 49,000 miles and got 15.9 kWh. My recent tests have lead my to the conclusion that ambient temperature has a significant impact on battery capacity with less capacity being available at colder temperatures.

The measured battery capacity of my 2017 FFE at 7,000 when I bought it last June was 28.8 kWh.

Just ran the test last weekend, got 16.4 kWh at 23,800 miles. Build date 01/13. Unscientific test method; drove around as normal until depleted to 50%, then ran the rest down with heater. Ambient temp at end of test was 54°F/12°C.

Back