Ford Dealerships update/upgrade their chargers

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottt

Staff member
Has anyone's Ford dealership upgraded their chargers to support the fast charging available in the 2017 and up FFE's?

Just curious.

scottt said:
Has anyone's Ford dealership upgraded their chargers to support the fast charging available in the 2017 and up FFE's?

Just curious.
I've not seen it. I seriously doubt they would. DC Fast Charging is expensive to implement and for the most part, dealers have their EVs sitting around for extended periods of time... so Level 2 charging suits them just fine.

I did see a Nissan dealer with a CHAdeMO charger, but they had quite a few Leafs in stock.

Maybe once Ford starts selling BEVs at the rate Nissan does, they'll start buying SAE Combo chargers for their dealers.

spirilis said:
I've not seen it. I seriously doubt they would. DC Fast Charging is expensive to implement and for the most part, dealers have their EVs sitting around for extended periods of time... so Level 2 charging suits them just fine.

I did see a Nissan dealer with a CHAdeMO charger, but they had quite a few Leafs in stock.

Maybe once Ford starts selling BEVs at the rate Nissan does, they'll start buying SAE Combo chargers for their dealers.

Ford doesn't buy anything for the dealers: The dealers have to purchase the stuff on their own.

jmueller065 said:
Ford doesn't buy anything for the dealers: The dealers have to purchase the stuff on their own.
True. Yet to be an EV certified dealer, currently they are required to have two level 2 EVSEs. One in service and one on the building.

Pearl said:
True. Yet to be an EV certified dealer, currently they are required to have two level 2 EVSEs. One in service and one on the building.
Ford requires a lot of their dealers and provides nothing without a price. Notice that a lot of dealers have been going through some "improvements" lately? Think Ford paid for that? (no) Think Ford required that? (yes)

Chevrolet required all dealerships that were certified to sale and service the Bolt EV to purchase and install 25 kW CCS chargers. Most of those chargers are still sitting on the floor in the service areas. I haven't heard anything about Ford requiring their certified dealers to do the same but maybe when Ford starts selling a higher volume EV they will require the dealerships to install CCS chargers, to check out the DCFC performance of the cars if for nothing else.

Texas FFE said:
Chevrolet required all dealerships that were certified to sale and service the Bolt EV to purchase and install 25 kW CCS chargers. Most of those chargers are still sitting on the floor in the service areas. I haven't heard anything about Ford requiring their certified dealers to do the same but maybe when Ford starts selling a higher volume EV they will require the dealerships to install CCS chargers, to check out the DCFC performance of the cars if for nothing else.

A Chevy dealer near me just installed a level 2 EVSE, and its only rated at 3600W. Half what is needed for the Bolt's onboard 7.2kW charger. dumb.

Back