Chevy Bolt Drive

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went down to Santa Maria Chevy yesterday. They had an LT model on hand so we had a test drive. I told them I wanted the Premier @ 1k down, $360 a month ... they said they could do 1k down and $470 a month. I said thanks for your time! Long story short and several hours of "thanks" - "no, wait" ... they offered 1k down and $330 a month for the LT model they had on hand. I had been there for 4 hours already so I said I'd sleep on it.

This morning, I walked into Arroyo Grande Chevy where I knew they had a Premier. I threw out zero down and $360 a month, and I told him that's the deal my buddy got down in Cerritos and if he could match it I'd sign today. We're buddies now FYI. He JUST called (I'm at work now) and said he can do zero down and $369 a month. I'm officially approved and I'm going to send him pics of a couple pieces of info he needs and he'll have the paperwork ready to sign at 3 today. SOLD! :)

I'm getting a grey Bolt Premier fully loaded. http://www.agchevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-Chevrolet-Bolt_EV-5dr_HB_Premier-Arroyo_Grande-CA/3036592533

Can't thank you enough Michael.

Smoking_Rubber said:
Went down to Santa Maria Chevy yesterday. They had an LT model on hand so we had a test drive. I told them I wanted the Premier @ 1k down, $360 a month ... they said they could do 1k down and $470 a month. I said thanks for your time! Long story short and several hours of "thanks" - "no, wait" ... they offered 1k down and $330 a month for the LT model they had on hand. I had been there for 4 hours already so I said I'd sleep on it.

This morning, I walked into Arroyo Grande Chevy where I knew they had a Premier. I threw out zero down and $360 a month, and I told him that's the deal my buddy got down in Cerritos and if he could match it I'd sign today. We're buddies now FYI. He JUST called (I'm at work now) and said he can do zero down and $369 a month. I'm officially approved and I'm going to send him pics of a couple pieces of info he needs and he'll have the paperwork ready to sign at 3 today. SOLD! :)

I'm getting a grey Bolt Premier fully loaded. http://www.agchevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2017-Chevrolet-Bolt_EV-5dr_HB_Premier-Arroyo_Grande-CA/3036592533

Congratulations!!!

Smoking_Rubber said:

So the front seats fit fine?

NightHawk said:
So the front seats fit fine?

I wouldn't say FINE ... but they will work. The seats narrow in the back but if I scooch forward a bit they're better. I might have to use a lower back pillow. Thankfully the seats go back plenty far and the steering wheel telescopes. The passenger seat feels even narrower. I had one cheek fully on the bolster when I was sitting shotgun. It's narrow but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

I love the technology. It's light years ahead of the FFE. It's a much higher MSRP also, but it's really just a higher residual (which I'm not planning on paying).

If you go on the mychevybolt web site, people describe how it's really easy to detach the seat cover, add a little foam underneath, and they say it resolves the seat issue. I don't know, didn't find it necessary to modify.

It's apparently a 10 minute job.

michael said:
If you go on the mychevybolt web site, people describe how it's really easy to detach the seat cover, add a little foam underneath, and they say it resolves the seat issue. I don't know, didn't find it necessary to modify.

It's apparently a 10 minute job.

Thanks for that. I went and signed up. I'll definitely be modifying the seats so that's a great help.

Smoking_Rubber said:

Congrats!

EastWestBrothers said:
damania said:
So compare the handling and performance and driving experience Bolt vs. FFE. If both had the same range and price which one would you pick?

More detailed piece on that topic is in the works, but from a handling perspective, the Focus wins. Acceleration goes to the Bolt, no contest.

My brother and I took the Bolt and FFE and drag raced them in an empty lot and the Bolt completely blows away the FFE. In about an eighth-mile distance, the Bolt was between two to three car-lengths ahead every run.

As promised, my more detailed comparison between the two: http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com/2017/10/comparison-2014-ford-focus-electric-vs.html

Smoking_Rubber said:

Would it be possible for you to provide some information on your deal? Specifically:

1) MSRP
2) Capitalized cost (usually includes all rebates)
3) Residual % (Or, Residual $s, if that is what they put on the sales contract)
4) Money Factor
5) Sales Tax rate where you live
6) When you say zero down, do you mean you rolled license, tags, doc fee into the Cap Cost?
7) Does your payment include sales tax?
8) # miles per month
9) Cost per excess mile
10) Any lease acquisition fees?
11) Any lease turn-in fees?

If you'd prefer not to put these out on the Internet, could you PM them to me?

Thanks in advance....

Keith

EastWestBrothers said:
EastWestBrothers said:
damania said:
So compare the handling and performance and driving experience Bolt vs. FFE. If both had the same range and price which one would you pick?

More detailed piece on that topic is in the works, but from a handling perspective, the Focus wins. Acceleration goes to the Bolt, no contest.

My brother and I took the Bolt and FFE and drag raced them in an empty lot and the Bolt completely blows away the FFE. In about an eighth-mile distance, the Bolt was between two to three car-lengths ahead every run.

As promised, my more detailed comparison between the two: http://www.eastwestbrothersgarage.com/2017/10/comparison-2014-ford-focus-electric-vs.html

I'd like to point out that your speed comparison part of your review is slightly incorrect. The reason the Focus is slow isn't that the electric motor isn't that quick, its that the traction control limits the acceleration (e.g. its a software issue, not a hardware issue). If you give the Focus a slight rolling start (like 5+ mph) it is darn zippy--almost like you avoid some condition in the software that limits the torque when starting from a stop.

jmueller065 said:
I'd like to point out that your speed comparison part of your review is slightly incorrect. The reason the Focus is slow isn't that the electric motor isn't that quick, its that the traction control limits the acceleration (e.g. its a software issue, not a hardware issue). If you give the Focus a slight rolling start (like 5+ mph) it is darn zippy--almost like you avoid some condition in the software that limits the torque when starting from a stop.

You cannot deny, however, that there is going to be a noticeable difference in acceleration between a 3640 lb car with 143 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque (FFE with 25 lb/hp, 19.73 lb/lb-ft) versus a 3,540 lb car with 200 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque (Bolt with 17.8 lb/hp, 13.38 lb/lb-ft). That nearly 30% decrease in the power to weight ratio easily accounts for most of the difference in the acceleration times.

No doubt that the Focus can feel pretty spritely around town, but by comparison, the Bolt feels downright quick and the official acceleration times bear that out. 3.5 seconds difference 0-60 is a pretty dramatic gap. I have no doubts that the 5-60 times would show a similar gap as the Bolt suffers the same problem of traction off the line as the Focus and GM has been equally aggressive with the traction control.

EastWestBrothers said:
You cannot deny, however, that there is going to be a noticeable difference in acceleration between a 3640 lb car with 143 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque (FFE with 25 lb/hp, 19.73 lb/lb-ft) versus a 3,540 lb car with 200 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque (Bolt with 17.8 lb/hp, 13.38 lb/lb-ft). That nearly 30% decrease in the power to weight ratio easily accounts for most of the difference in the acceleration times.

No doubt that the Focus can feel pretty spritely around town, but by comparison, the Bolt feels downright quick and the official acceleration times bear that out. 3.5 seconds difference 0-60 is a pretty dramatic gap. I have no doubts that the 5-60 times would show a similar gap as the Bolt suffers the same problem of traction off the line as the Focus and GM has been equally aggressive with the traction control.
Never said that the FFE was going to be faster than the Bolt and wasn't implying that at all.

Just wanted to point out that there is more to the FFE's "lack of performance" than just the electric motor.

Having just driven a "basic" Model S around for the weekend...they are all slow! LOL

jmueller065 said:
Never said that the FFE was going to be faster than the Bolt and wasn't implying that at all.

Just wanted to point out that there is more to the FFE's "lack of performance" than just the electric motor.

Having just driven a "basic" Model S around for the weekend...they are all slow! LOL

I still contend that the "software issue" you are referencing is only a small contributor to the overall loss in performance compared to the basic power to weight ratio. For instance, another car with a similar 25 lb/hp power to weight ratio is the Toyota Prius, which also sports a similar 10.5 second 0-60 time as the FFE.

That said, yes, the Model S does make them all feel slow, but that's a moot point given how much of a price gap we're talking about.

jmueller065 said:
I've now spent a week with a Bolt:
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2018/04/08/my-week-with-a-bolt/

Excellent Bolt review, thanks!
Do you think a driver with height 6'2" and weight 190# would find the driver's seat OK as you did?

NightHawk said:
jmueller065 said:
I've now spent a week with a Bolt:
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2018/04/08/my-week-with-a-bolt/

Excellent Bolt review, thanks!
Do you think a driver with height 6'2" and weight 190# would find the driver's seat OK as you did?

Height wise I think you'd be fine as the Bolt is tall like a C-Max, it really depends on how "wide" you are. I would recommend finding one at a dealer and sitting in it. It only takes a few seconds to know if you're ok or not.

Given that you're tall and "skinny" LOL I think you'd be fine (I'm shorter and heavier than you are).

How was your experience regarding the Chevy Bolt rear cargo storage space vs the FFE?
I'm also anxiously awaiting the upcoming Hyundai Kona EV later this year, looks like it could give the Bolt competition.

Back