Does anyone know when the 2018 order bank will open?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
merkurmaniac said:
Pretty Uncool. I checked the VIN of the "2018 model", vin number 1FADP3R45JL205114

I used a website to reproduce the window sticker.

2018 5-DR Hatchback
5 Passenger
107 KW ELectric motor
6.6KW charger
33.5 KWH LIQUID COOLED BATTERY <===== UNCOOL PART.

ALso, Assembly plant "MICHIGAN"
Why uncool? We pretty much know nothing is different for the 2018's (and yes ALL FFE's are built at Michigan Assembly plant for the time being).

Uncool, because I had read a comment on here from a Ford interview that sounded like upgrading the range on the 2018 was in the works. One new color is pretty lame.

I wonder when the 2018 Focus in all the spy shots is supposed to debut ? Would it be a 2018.5 ?

merkurmaniac said:
Uncool, because I had read a comment on here from a Ford interview that sounded like upgrading the range on the 2018 was in the works. One new color is pretty lame.

I wonder when the 2018 Focus in all the spy shots is supposed to debut ? Would it be a 2018.5 ?
LOL I think you're giving Ford too much credit. To date Ford has put very little effort into the FFE. I'd rather have low expectations and be rarely surprised than have high expectations and always be disappointed.

jmueller065 said:
merkurmaniac said:

LOL I think you're giving Ford too much credit. To date Ford has put very little effort into the FFE. I'd rather have low expectations and be rarely surprised than have high expectations and always be disappointed.

It's true, the FFE is basically just a compliance car and they're giving it the bare minimum in terms of attention and resources. But the Ford Focus (ICE) is a best-seller and getting plenty of attention. The spy shots are seeing the ICE version which we know will trickle down into all the trim levels. They ARE working on a Focus redesign, we just don't know when it will be available. It's safe to say we won't be seeing any ground-breaking changes in the 2018 model, but some small changes would be possible. I think it's rare that any car gets zero changes between model years.

Smoking_Rubber said:
It's true, the FFE is basically just a compliance car and they're giving it the bare minimum in terms of attention and resources. But the Ford Focus (ICE) is a best-seller and getting plenty of attention. The spy shots are seeing the ICE version which we know will trickle down into all the trim levels. They ARE working on a Focus redesign, we just don't know when it will be available. It's safe to say we won't be seeing any ground-breaking changes in the 2018 model, but some small changes would be possible. I think it's rare that any car gets zero changes between model years.
Except for the FFE of course. No changes from 2012 - 2016 even though the ICE focus was tweaked quite a bit (new grill, etc.).

jmueller065 said:
Except for the FFE of course. No changes from 2012 - 2016 even though the ICE focus was tweaked quite a bit (new grill, etc.).
2015-16 got a new interior and slight sheet metal tweak (different rear lights). But yeah basically no changes other than what trickled down from the ICE version until '17s bigger battery.

There are always small changes. Even when they just went from Sync2 to Sync3, that's a small change. Example: the 2014 FJ Cruiser got an extra track bar support beam. Everything else is identical to a 2013 model but they added 1 bar underneath. There's always something that gets changed.

I think the problem is that the ffe was a fine vehicle except for the range, Now peoples leases are coming due and theyre looking to get another ev and are looking to ford for a viable solution and they dont have one to offer. I think many ffe owners will end up with a bolt or tesla3. They love the ffe but need more range and ford seems to have been asleep at the wheel with regards to that. If ford offered a ffe with 200+ mile range they would probably retain 75% of their end of lease customers. I think most will bolt from ford, pun intended. :lol:

Carbuff said:
I think the problem is that the ffe was a fine vehicle except for the range, Now peoples leases are coming due and theyre looking to get another ev and are looking to ford for a viable solution and they dont have one to offer. I think many ffe owners will end up with a bolt or tesla3. They love the ffe but need more range and ford seems to have been asleep at the wheel with regards to that. If ford offered a ffe with 200+ mile range they would probably retain 75% of their end of lease customers. I think most will bolt from ford, pun intended. :lol:
Well Ford did promise a 300 mile EV SUV by 2020 but many can't wait that long.

The future is around the corner. There are technologies coming that will put the current batteries and vehicles to shame.

https://futurism.com/a-new-electric-car-battery-lasts-for-200-miles-and-charges-in-just-6-minutes/

"Japanese tech company Toshiba has just announced their next-generation SCiB rechargeable batteries for electric vehicles. According to the company, these new batteries can charge in just six minutes and deliver a range of 200 miles."

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/electric-cars-that-will-change-the-auto-landscape.html/?a=viewall

Unfortunately it's not 2020 yet. I'll have to settle for a 3 year FFE lease, then get my next generation vehicle next time.

Looks like the 2018 models are available. AND the price has been dropped by about 2k. MSRP on a 2018 FFE w leather is $29k. Here's the Hot Pepper Red for Smokey.

http://shop.ford.com/inventory/focus/details/1FADP3R49JL200076?zipcode=90210&year=2018&fyear=2018&ownerPACode=05536&Radius=100&modeltrim=Focus_F09-ELECTRIC&Order=Distance

As we knew, no changes really. The fact that the price has come down is extremely exciting though.

Smoking_Rubber said:
Looks like the 2018 models are available. AND the price has been dropped by about 2k. MSRP on a 2018 FFE w leather is $29k. Here's the Hot Pepper Red for Smokey.

http://shop.ford.com/inventory/focus/details/1FADP3R49JL200076?zipcode=90210&year=2018&fyear=2018&ownerPACode=05536&Radius=100&modeltrim=Focus_F09-ELECTRIC&Order=Distance

As we knew, no changes really. The fact that the price has come down is extremely exciting though.

And to think that the sticker on my 2013 was $41K. What does it mean by net price? Internet price, or price after local and federal rebates and credits?

Carbuff said:
Smoking_Rubber said:

And to think that the sticker on my 2013 was $41K. What does it mean by net price? Internet price, or price after local and federal rebates and credits?

Yes, Net price is total after dealer incentives. 31,500 total msrp - 10,500 incentives = 21,000 Net
I don't know if all the local rebates are included in that. There's 2500 from California and 500 from PG&E.

Still, I'm looking at 324 mo w/ 969 due at signing. That's according to the calculator and I'm really hoping to beat that number down at the dealer. The 2018 Nissan Leaf is also still in the running. The Bolt and Model 3 have been scratched out.

Smoking_Rubber said:

Very nice. Here in Canada the 2018 FFE went up in price by 3k (from $31998 -> $34998). Which makes my decision to buy 2017 a great one (and picking up on Monday!)

I just noticed this on the Ford Focus Electric page on Ford.com

2018MY Focus Electric is a limited production model sold in select states CA/CT/MA/MD/ME/NJ/NY/OR/RI/VT) at Ford EV Certified Dealers.

Is that true, the FFE is no longer available nationwide?

Ford claims to make huge investments into electrification, yet they do this, as well as stop production of the C-Max Energi in 2018.

Very Disappointing !!

I guess they can finally admit it's a compliance car!

Fact is, they might not care about the compliance piece for now (with Trump's EPA in charge) ... they can squander the EV lineup until the bigger ones are ready (and probably more profitable for them than the FFE).

spirilis said:
I guess they can finally admit it's a compliance car!

Fact is, they might not care about the compliance piece for now (with Trump's EPA in charge) ... they can squander the EV lineup until the bigger ones are ready (and probably more profitable for them than the FFE).
Don't forget, though, that Mark Motorhead Fields is gone and a non-automotive CEO is in charge and has announced a bunch of EVs from Ford coming down the road.
https://insideevs.com/ford-ups-electric-car-commitment-simplified-lineup-investment-shift/

Well we know Ford has been working on their EV tech for at least a couple years now. Sadly not enough effort to have a ready replacement for the FFE as they wind down production at the Michigan Assembly Plant. With the last minute axing of the Focus production move to Mexico (it's going to China instead) that didn't really leave them much wiggle room with the FFE. They are ceasing production mid 2018 at the factory that makes the Cmax, Focus, FFE (Michigan Assembly plant in Wayne, Mi.) to retool for 2019 production of the Ford Ranger and not to long after, the Bronco as well. The Flat Rock, Mi plant is getting an expansion where they supposedly are going to make "electrified" vehicles. Whether that is just more hybrids or actual EV's who knows? I don't think they've announced where their 300 mi range "SUV" EV is going to be made. Disappointingly it will probably be an EV version of the Ecosport. Some might like that idea but I think it's awful and I'd never buy one. I'm kind of curious as to what will happen with the Focus in 2019 as the Chinese Focus production isn't supposed to start until late 2019! Are they really going to skip a whole model year?

triangles said:
Well we know Ford has been working on their EV tech for at least a couple years now. Sadly not enough effort to have a ready replacement for the FFE as they wind down production at the Michigan Assembly Plant. With the last minute axing of the Focus production move to Mexico (it's going to China instead) that didn't really leave them much wiggle room with the FFE. They are ceasing production mid 2018 at the factory that makes the Cmax, Focus, FFE (Michigan Assembly plant in Wayne, Mi.) to retool for 2019 production of the Ford Ranger and not to long after, the Bronco as well. The Flat Rock, Mi plant is getting an expansion where they supposedly are going to make "electrified" vehicles. Whether that is just more hybrids or actual EV's who knows? I don't think they've announced where their 300 mi range "SUV" EV is going to be made. Disappointingly it will probably be an EV version of the Ecosport. Some might like that idea but I think it's awful and I'd never buy one. I'm kind of curious as to what will happen with the Focus in 2019 as the Chinese Focus production isn't supposed to start until late 2019! Are they really going to skip a whole model year?
Right I'm aware of all of that. Many promises from Ford with very little details (not even a prototype to show or anything). Makes you think its all vaporware.

Smoking_Rubber said:
Looks like the 2018 models are available. AND the price has been dropped by about 2k. MSRP on a 2018 FFE w leather is $29k.

Does the $3,350 "Ford Customer Cash" also apply to 2018's?

EDIT: I just found the answer. At least where I live (California), according to the Ford website, "customer cash" of $3,350 applies to 2017's, and $2,500 for 2018's, until 1/2/18. The website also shows the same $29,120 MSRP for 2017 & 2018 FFE's.

Back