High Voltage Battery, HVB pack replacement experience?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas FFE

I know that at least one person on this forum has reported that they have had their HVB pack replaced. I'm reaching out to all of those on this forum to report on their experience getting their HVB replaced.

What were the symptoms that led to the diagnosis that the HVB packs had to be replaced? Would the HVB just not charge or was there serious degradation? If there was serious degradation, what was the capacity of the HVB pack that had to be replaced?

Since many FFEs are getting older their owners and prospective buyers are concerned about the aging HVB packs. Any other information you could offer concerning your HVB pack replacement could prove useful. What year is your FFE, how many miles did you have on your FFE when you had to get your HVB pack replaced, etc.?

Hi, I purchased a used 2012 Focus with 45k Miles on it back in October 2017, in November (3 weeks) the red stop safety now sign came on and I couldn't start my car. It was towed into the dealership closest to my house, who charged me 300 bucks to replace the 12v battery(which was fine in my opinion) and ask me to tow it to another dealer. so I spent another $75 dollars to tow it to the dealership where I purchased the car. I had to pay the towing because it was farther than Ford would allow for mileage. My then 3 week old car was in the shop almost 7 weeks, I finally got my car back with the newer 33KW battery. I'm pretty happy overall because I got the new longer range battery, but it was kind of a big hassle. My brief experience with the original battery was that it had about 76 miles of range. It kind of died without any warning.

Anyways, yes if you're wondering if the new higher capacity battery will fit the older Focus, it does.

Mine had just about 40k miles. Had it since new. Within the first 2 years, I had a battery issue where the battery was removed and sent to Ford. Failure symptoms were similar in both cases. I got the Stop Safely now and nothing would work to get it going...per the SSN thread...turn off car, open door, close door, restart. On the first occurrence, I was moving when I got the SSN. On the second, I was parked at work all day and when I went to go home, it didn't start...just SSN.

On the first occurrence, the battery was "repaired" by Ford. On the second, it was replaced. However, this time the dealer deemed the battery needed replacement, but Ford wanted to check things out for themselves, so the old battery was shipped to them and a new one was eventually sent back. Degradation was probably at around 15%.

My Focus is a 2012. Since the battery replacement, I've had no issues.

Back