New Recall - Differential Assembly

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Officially dropped mine off today.... and was alerted there is a second recall notice...

FSA Title: TELEMATICS CONTROL UNIT REPROGRAMMING
Field Service Action Number: 17B07

I'm told the telematics unit can drain the battery under certain conditions after a few days of not starting the car. This service corrects the problem, and is a free service until August 2018.

As for the original recall it was nice when the service desk lady is like... whoa I haven't seen one of these recalls yet (all i thought was great so your techs haven't either!) She said this is a 4.5 hour recall. She will update later today with the status and if i should return today or tomorrow.

As for second recall she said it should just be a software update

Fingers crossed my cars sounds normal after the work!

shniestEV said:
Officially dropped mine off today.... and was alerted there is a second recall notice...

FSA Title: TELEMATICS CONTROL UNIT REPROGRAMMING
Field Service Action Number: 17B07

I'm told the telematics unit can drain the battery under certain conditions after a few days of not starting the car. This service corrects the problem, and is a free service until August 2018.

As for the original recall it was nice when the service desk lady is like... whoa I haven't seen one of these recalls yet (all i thought was great so your techs haven't either!) She said this is a 4.5 hour recall. She will update later today with the status and if i should return today or tomorrow.

As for second recall she said it should just be a software update

Fingers crossed my cars sounds normal after the work!

Hmmm, nothing listed for my 2015. Wonder what years FSA 17B07 covers.

I believe if i understood correctly it may just be a software upgrade for the 3G modem. If you upgraded to the 3G from 2G you may already have the new software and it may not be required. My guess is maybe 2016s with original 3G require the update.

henryfocus said:
They are replacing the electric motor next. It's still not clear how it went from recall work to this point, but here we are.
Looks like they first gave you a bad differential unit (the debris is proof) or forget to put oil in it.
The debris getting lodged inside the differential caused shock-loading (spiking torques) & subsequent damage to the upstream motor's driveshaft bearings and housings, causing the funny bike card noise.

News: I got another recall letter, this time stating they REALLY do have parts available finally, so my Ford service advisor is on it, supposedly. Waiting.

electrons said:
Looks like they first gave you a bad differential unit (the debris is proof) or forget to put oil in it.
The debris getting lodged inside the differential caused shock-loading (spiking torques) & subsequent damage to the upstream motor's driveshaft bearings and housings, causing the funny bike card noise.

Electrons, thank you for that explanation. It makes sense.

I got the differential recall completed this past week along with the telematics control unit reprogramming. Took 10 days and they gave me a rental car during that time at no charge. Other than it taking so long and the slowness of service at the dealer, it was not a problem. So far it seems to be running the same as before. No sounds...grinding...etc.

TomEV said:
I got the differential recall completed this past week along with the telematics control unit reprogramming. Took 10 days and they gave me a rental car during that time at no charge. Other than it taking so long and the slowness of service at the dealer, it was not a problem. So far it seems to be running the same as before. No sounds...grinding...etc.

Just got mine back last night... dropped it off thursday picked it up tuesday. They claimed they didnt get a chance to work on it friday and were closed on the weekend. (probably should have just dropped off monday then)

Anyways i had both done and all seems normal... my myfordmobile went crazy tuesday morning i assumed during the TCU reprogramming.

Also requested a loaner so wasn't to bad... the CMax hybrid they gave me was very similar.

Dealer in NorCal told me yesterday that parts are still not available, 10 months after the recall. Great way to instill confidence in the brand Ford, not

2016 Differential recall - Dealer stated all parts were on hand. Two days later a multi-day delay for parts. Should be done after the weekend. Will see if the work is done on time and successfully

henryfocus said:
Just a quick update from me. The replacement motor didn't solve the problem so Ford bought it back.
Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing that by motor they probably meant just the rotor since the motor is a part of the TCM (motor/gearbox/drive assembly). They probably needed to replace the whole TCM to fix it and that's probably not something they can get in a timely fashion. What are you going to buy to replace your FFE?

I wish they gave me more details so I could relay them. After replacing the differential and bearings, I believe it was the electric motor that Ford recommend they replace. The dealer said it came on a pallet and that these are basically a sealed part that they don't open.

They were genuinely displeased and sympathetic when after all that it still didn't fix it and offered to just buy it back. It took four months for everything but we've come to an agreeable conclusion.

I imagine it will eventually be fixed and the learnings from that will go towards making the car even better in the future.

I'm looking into a lease this time of the 2017.

Just got my 2016 back from a northern California dealer after 9 days; everything seems to be working okay. They thought there was a problem with the coolant pump but it wound up being a reconnection procedure they missed. On another note, the Leaf I had as a rental surprised me in a positive way. The ride was smoother and the cabin much quieter. Ford needs to step it up or be left behind.

Last week, my local dealership service and parts dept. told me parts are STILL not available, while Ford was telling me they ARE AVAILABLE.
So, I called Ford and asked them to "work with" the local parts department here. And that worked. Now the parts guy changed his story, said he could get the parts, some ordered thru what he called "unusual channels", whatever that means!
All differential parts and related pieces should arrive soon, and then the work can be done. Maybe. Just great.....
Sometimes you have to hold their hand a little. You'd think they could order parts, but somehow coaxing is required in some cases.

henryfocus said:
Just a quick update from me. The replacement motor didn't solve the problem so Ford bought it back.
Wow, nice. Getting Ford to buy it back. I thought they'd just try the repair all over again, this time with more parts.

An update to my previous post: The parts came in Tuesday, Sept. 5, & the Ford dealership called me a day later to say they "needed to order a part" even though we had attempted to order the complete parts "kit" Ford listed to do this job completely. Now its Thursday Sept. 14 and still no word. No Focus Electric car done yet.

Fortunately the dealer gave me a long-term loaner, a heavy gas-guzzling brand new Ford Explorer to drive until the Electric is fixed!

I just hope they fix it correctly. We'll see.....

After 2 weeks with the loaner car with the Focus Electric still at the dealership, I stopped by to ask them what the status is.
They told me that it was done yesterday and they forgot to call me.
OK, well, the ordeal is over and I have the car back. It seems like the repair was done OK, and it runs fine.

Hmmm, not super encouraged after reading more in this thread.

Livermore Ford has been HORRIBLE on all accounts, but specifically this recall. They got my car 14 days ago, and AFTER I asked them to preorder the parts and gave them the recall number. They have not called, and they do not answer their phone. I will stop by tonight to see if they havent gotten the parts yet, or if they managed to screw it up more. I wish this thread had a more positive tone. If I can get my car back, it isnt going back in for this recall. I will definitely maintain the paperwork that shows they had it for 2 weeks for this problem.

They also werent able to reproduce my other warranty problem that is a 100% of the time occurrence so they have done nothing in two weeks.

Back