changing wheels and tires

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVA said:
Now I ask why winter tires? Have you gone through a winter with the car on the normal tires? Unless you live in Quebec and are required by law, I'm not seeing a reason to buy winter tires. 4 or 5 winters in Chicago with no problems. JMueller lives in heavy snow Detroit area and never needed them.
I guess different folk have different experiences. These are the same stock tire and wheel that's on my C-Max Energi, and IMHO they are horrid in anything more than a trace of snow. There is absolutely ZERO traction.
I tried one winter with the stock setup on my C-Max and then went right over to TireRack and bought the recommended package. When I picked up my used FFE, I found a set of used 16" alloys for less than steelies and used Blizzaks from letgo.com. A great setup for me.

EVA said:
Konowl said:
EVA said:
Whoa, why 15 inch wheels? I would figure a person would go up in wheels size to lower profile.

Cost.

It doesn't make much sense, logically, to go with 18 inch winter tires.
Gotcha. 18 inch winter tires are a very bad idea on that car.

Now I ask why winter tires? Have you gone through a winter with the car on the normal tires? Unless you live in Quebec and are required by law, I'm not seeing a reason to buy winter tires. 4 or 5 winters in Chicago with no problems. JMueller lives in heavy snow Detroit area and never needed them.

I'm sorry but I wasn't asking for advice on if I should get winter tires. I live in Ottawa, Canada, and I'm well aware of my needs in the winter time. I KNOW these tires aren't good enough - they aren't designed primarily for snow. If someone feels safe driving all seasons in heavy snow in Detroit, all the power to them; but to be honest, that's not safe and is borderline lunacy.

Winter tires SHOULD be law in many more places than it already is, after witnessing people attempt to drive in poor conditions with inadequate tools.

Well OK then. Good luck.

Would have added some more advice, as in tire size that actually works, and where you could get more real life experience in the snow. But you seem to know exactly what to do. So really good luck with all that.

EVA said:
Well OK then. Good luck.

Yah thanks there eh bud!

Would have added some more advice, as in tire size that actually works, and where you could get more real life experience in the snow.

Sure, any advice you can give is always warranted! I'm very curious where you think I could get more real life experience in the snow, considering I live in one of the snowiest capital cities in the world!

Konowl said:
I'm sorry but I wasn't asking for advice on if I should get winter tires. I live in Ottawa, Canada, and I'm well aware of my needs in the winter time. I KNOW these tires aren't good enough - they aren't designed primarily for snow. If someone feels safe driving all seasons in heavy snow in Detroit, all the power to them; but to be honest, that's not safe and is borderline lunacy.

Winter tires SHOULD be law in many more places than it already is, after witnessing people attempt to drive in poor conditions with inadequate tools.
Couldn't agree more.. I live in Ottawa too, and am from the east coast. I wouldn't go winters in either place without winter tires, and I've driven other cars (rental or not) that have all seasons. It's an absolutely huge difference, and when it comes down to it, it's not really _that_ expensive for the safety: your 3 season all seasons will last much longer, and you can switch tires each season yourself (30 mins tops).

There was someone that fit 15" tires on their FFE on rfd.. I'm very tempted by 15" (shipped & mounted on wheels already by tire rack to the border = cheap!) but may just go for 16", we'll see.

Still waiting for my FFE :(

virulent said:
Konowl said:

Couldn't agree more.. I live in Ottawa too, and am from the east coast. I wouldn't go winters in either place without winter tires, and I've driven other cars (rental or not) that have all seasons. It's an absolutely huge difference, and when it comes down to it, it's not really _that_ expensive for the safety: your 3 season all seasons will last much longer, and you can switch tires each season yourself (30 mins tops).

There was someone that fit 15" tires on their FFE on rfd.. I'm very tempted by 15" (shipped & mounted on wheels already by tire rack to the border = cheap!) but may just go for 16", we'll see.

Still waiting for my FFE :(

Yeah I only get rentals without snow tires if I check the forecast carefully first. The difference between all seasons and winter tires are, literally, night and day. I'm also amazed that people use all-seasons where I live in the dead of winter.

I'm shocked that people try and talk you OUT of getting winter tires to be honest.

Hmmm I read that thread on RFD and I thought he indicated the calipers were a little close for comfort to the rims; I'll have to go revisit. Thanks for that. 15 inch itres are a lot cheaper, but the "wiggle room" makes me nervous.

triangles said:
wrcfocus said:
I'm tempted to rent a Focus for a day and try to do swap in my driveway.
Where are you? If you were close to me I'd offer to test fit them on my FFE. I'm sure others on here might be willing to do the same. If you're not nearby you could always just send me your wheels and I'll test fit them for you. :D Honestly I'll send them right back! :lol: When my tires wear out I plan to get the Falken Ziex ZE950 either with a 215/65R15, 215/60R16 or if I stay with factory rims then 225/50R17. I'd sacrifice traction with a narrower wheel/tire for an extra mile or two of range but I don't see any that are close enough to OE size. I had an older version of this tire on my old ICE car and they were superior to the Michelin tires that I generally prefer in every way except wear. Considering they were significantly cheaper it was worth having a little higher wear rate Not sure if that will apply to the FFE tire sizes. Thankfully I should have many years before I need to worry about tires.

FYI the 205/65R16 tire will only result in you going about 1mph slower than the speedo says at 60mph. This handy tire/wheel calculator may be helpful.

Really much informative. Would you please tell me it is adjusted with 15s rim?

15" rims should fit. I don't remember who but someone had 15" steel rims for winters tires on a FFE. The Focus that come with 15" wheels have a stamped steel control arm up front and all others that come with 16" and larger wheels, including the FFE have the cast aluminum control arms. Unfortunately you'll just have to try them and see if they clear the front caliper and control arm.

Someone had also posted a pic of their ffe with their winter rim/tire combo. The rims looked like 15" ford windstar alloy wheels. I had the same ones on my 2001 windstar. Someone was junking theirs with 16" alloys and newish tires so I swapped with them. They looked like this

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/prodimg/ALY03323U.jpg

Carbuff said:
Someone had also posted a pic of their ffe with their winter rim/tire combo. The rims looked like 15" ford windstar alloy wheels. I had the same ones on my 2001 windstar. Someone was junking theirs with 16" alloys and newish tires so I swapped with them. They looked like this

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/prodimg/ALY03323U.jpg
Not sure, but probably you're talking about my set up:

Yes, 15'' alloys bought used for $100/set

My summer setup:
IMG_20180422_194914.jpg

Back