2012 FFE Trailer hitch

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very interested in pulling a battery trailer such as the ones being developed by BVB Innovate (http://bvb-innovate.com/?lang=en) to extent the range of my 2013 FFE. I know there could be issues with my warranty if I pull this trailer but my drive train warranty is set to expire pretty soon anyway. BVB Innovate showcases BMW i3s and Nissan Leafs towing these trailers and these cars have restrictions against towing also.

I'm interested in any knowledge related to what can go wrong by pulling trailers with the FFE. Has anybody heard of or do they have direct knowledge of damage to the FFE or any EV cause by pulling a trailer? Also, if anyone has pulled a trailer with the FFE or any EV, how heavy was the trailer, how far did you pull it and how fast did you go?

Look at what the gas focus can do. The chassis between the gas and electric focus is the same so more or less what applies to the gas version should apply to the electric. Only difference being the drivetrain.
Let us know what you do Texas, I was pondering a pusher trailer myself since I think that would be cheaper/easier to implement. I can't justify that much cash on something that I'd use only a few times a year.

I found out some information that should be of interest to anyone wanting to tow a trailer with their FFE.

First, the Ford also does not recommend towing with the gas powered Focus but there is quite a bit of discussion concerning trailering on the Focus forums. The general consensus is that if the total combined weight of interior cargo and the trailer does not exceed the vehicle load rating, which is about 800 pounds for the FFE, then there shouldn't be any issues with trailering. But I found out something that was much more interesting.

If the Focus is not rated for towing, did you ever wonder why it has hard points for a trailer hitch? Maybe it's because the European models ARE rated for towing. The rating varies by model but is generally around 635 kg or 1,400 pounds.

The European and American models are virtually identical in most respects. There should not be any issue with towing light loads in regards to the brakes and suspension. The concern I can see with the FFE is that motor may overheat in mountainous terrain if the combined load is greater than the vehicle rated load, but this is only a guess.

Anyway, this information makes me feel much more comfortable about towing with my out-of-warranty FFE.

The 635 kg rating I found was for un-braked trailer weight. That got me to wondering, what the brake trailer weight rating was for the Ford Focus. I found that the maximum braked trailer weight for the Ford Focus is about 700 kg or 1540 pounds (https://carleasingmadesimple.com/business/ford/focus-hatchback/65269/).
Trailer tongue weight, but not trailer weight, affects vehicle loading. There is usually a Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) listed that includes both the trailer weight and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) but I can’t find the GCWR for the Fort Focus. We can calculate the GCWR by adding the GVWR (1825 kg) and the braked trailer weight (700 kg) which gives us a GCWR for the Ford Focus of 2,525 kg.

How does this information relate to the FFE? Well we know that the GVWR for the Focus is 2,525 kg and we know the GVW of the FFE is 2085 kg (https://carleasingmadesimple.com/business/ford/focus-hatchback/70880/), so the maximum braked trailer weight of the FFE must be 2,525 kg – 2085 kg or 440 kg, which is 970 pounds. The maximum un-braked trailer weight for the FFE would be 375 kg or 827 pounds.

These numbers are of course with the vehicle completely loaded, which is never going to happen and the tongue weight alone would reduce vehicle load capacity that could be transferred to the trailer. The maximum load for the FEE is 385 kg so the maximum braked trailer weight would be 815 kg or 1797 pounds and the maximum un-braked trailer weight would be 750 kg or 1575 pounds with the vehicle COMPLETELY empty. But I don’t think I would ever want to go over the 630 kg un-braked rating and 700 kg braked rating listed for the gas focus.

You would have to subtract the vehicle load weight, including passengers, to determine actual safe trailer weight. For example, a 200 pound man with an empty car could safely pull a 1,500 pound braked fishing boat but if he had a friend that weighed more than 120 pounds and wanted to go he couldn’t use the FFE. These trailer weight calculations get pretty complicated pretty quickly so it’s no wonder Ford doesn’t want to provide a trailer rating for the FFE.

I have also been thinking about how we can keep from loading up the drive train of the FFE while towing and possibly keep the drive train from overheating. It make sense that if we don’t load the drive train more than would be expected without trailer then there should never be any issues. The FFE has a speed limiter set to 84 mph, it’s reasonable to assume that the FFE is design to run all day at 84 mph with no adverse effects to the FFE.

I suggest that we take our FFEs out on a long high speed highways and run the FFE at max speed (Texas has highways with 85 mph speed limit so I’m not suggesting doing anything illegal or overly dangerous). Observe the average location of the power indicator. The theory is that if we never power our FFEs while towing above the average power level at maximum speed then there should never be any adverse effects to the power train from towing.

So it appears that we can tow at least an 827 pound un-braked trailer and as much as a 1540 pound braked trailer with our FFE. With load and power management there should never be any adverse effects to our FFEs from towing. I do however stress than these trailer loads are what I am prepared to do based on my own analysis and at my own risk and anyone that follows these suggestions must also do so at their own risk.

Below is the bvb innovater (formerly ebuggy) battery trailer. Notice the trailer brake. They are working on two different types of battery trailers, one that you just pull but you have to stop to charge (DCFC really handy here) and another that charges your car while you drive.

Bild14_mittel_1730_1109-1024x656.jpg

bvb innovate was originally planning a mobile battery service like U-Haul where you rent the battery in one city and drop it off in another. bvb innovate appears to have backed away from that business model recent but still plans to sell mobile batteries to individuals and to businesses. I have sent emails to U-Haul telling them that they should pick up the mobile battery business but they haven't shown any interest yet.

bvb innovate still doesn't sell their mobile batteries in the USA but they were planning to start next year. I'm surprised that the model battery business hasn't already kicked off, with all the first generation EVs around and so many areas with under developed charging infrastructure you would think there would be a pretty strong market for mobile batteries. Anyway, with bvb innovates' success in getting funding and going into production, I think it's just a matter of time before other manufactures start building mobile batteries to compete with bvb innovate.

If we get desperate we can probably build our own mobile batteries. I've thought about this a lot, you could buy a wrecked EV or two with good batteries for a song and use those batteries as the trailer backbone. All the connectors, chargers, etc. seem to be readily available and there seems to be plenty of smart guys around that would know how to hook it all up.

As far as price goes, you might be able to pick up a couple of wrecked EVs for about $5k and purchase all the other components for another $5k. You wouldn't need the mobile battery all the time so you could share the cost with partners or rent the trailer out when your not using it. I would prefer to just rent the trailer out myself but like I said, if I get desperate...

I just found out something interesting to anyone looking into towing with a Focus Electric, uhaul.com has a pull down option specifically for the Ford Focus Electric. The pull down brings up nine different trailers that are compatible with the FFE. So there may still be doubters on this forum that think the FFE can't tow but U-Haul definitely thinks it can.

Texas FFE said:
I just found out something interesting to anyone looking into towing with a Focus Electric, uhaul.com has a pull down option specifically for the Ford Focus Electric. The pull down brings up nine different trailers that are compatible with the FFE. So there may still be doubters on this forum that think the FFE can't tow but U-Haul definitely thinks it can.

If you go through with it you'll see that it says your car needs a custom hitch and they don't have it.

BTW if anyone is selling a used one in the LA area please PM me.

I just installed a trailer hitch on my 2013 Focus Electric. It is a Curt model #11158. It is for the Focus SE. Required some cutting and grinding of welds from the support for the battery box. Really easy. Used a Milwaukee mini saw to cut thru the cross bracket and a grinder to cut the welds on the piece that covers the holes where the ICE muffler would hang from. Just removed enough weld and broke the piece free from the frame rail. Cleaned up the welds with a small air grinder, primed any bare metal and bolted the hitch on. Did have to drill one hole on each side and fish a bolt and reinforcement thru the frame rail. Since the battery frame rail was now unsupported I fashioned a 1/4" thick spacer to fit between the hitch bar and the rail end and secured it with a heavy duty cable tie. When I first cut the rail it actually went up about a 1/16" so it wasn't really being supported by the end that was welded to the vehicle frame rail. I'm real pleased with the outcome and installation time with all the cutting and grinding was about 1 1/2 hours. I don't plan on towing anything but a bicycle rack fits in nicely. Maybe a pusher trailer in the future? Would require some reinforcement I think like and extension from the receiver tube to the rear axle center part.

CWD said:
I just installed a trailer hitch on my 2013 Focus Electric. It is a Curt model #11158. It is for the Focus SE. Required some cutting and grinding of welds from the support for the battery box.
Why would you do that when the Torklift Central hitch receiver simply bolts on the FFE?

Wow the price has gone up. I paid $250 shipped for mine back in 2014. The regular focus hitch receivers were in the $150 price range shipped. I figured $100 saved wasn't worth my time and effort hacking things up to make the cheaper hitch fit.

Did you take any pictures? It might help someone else contemplating doing the same. Plus I admit I am a little curious myself.

Back