An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:36 pm 

thanks for all your professional inputs. let me give you an update:

I dropped off my car Monday evening to Ford of Montebello (a different dealership), believing they can provide better repair services. Then I expected Ford's regional rep would call my wife Monday or Tuesday, as she has a case open.

Tuesday we didn't get any update from the dealership. My wife was also waiting for a call from Ford Motors because they told her in a reply email that someone was going to call her.
When it's close to mid afternoon, my wife called the dealership and talked to the service rep. But the service rep said no one in the shop knew how to fix it and they were waiting for Ford's regional support.

Wednesday morning, the service manager called me and said they had five guys certified to repair FFE and their best technician had already identify the root cause. Then I asked him to look for Ford's technical support. But he insisted there's no need.
Around 5pm, I stopped by the dealership and asked for an update. The service rep told me another story: your car has been taken apart but the root cause hasn't been identified. Then I asked him to get Ford's technical support but he said it could be taken care internally. In the end, he provided me a loaner car.

Here're my two stupid questions:
1. It appears they didn't like to get Ford's technical support even though it has been offered. Why? Does it cause them a pretty penny?
2. I have a case open with Ford but Ford didn't call my wife back as promised. What should we do?

thanks ahead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:57 pm 

2. Not sure what the call with Ford is about. They may have different paths they take different types of problems. If they follow the path I've seen, they send your problem to an engineering team. They try to figure out a solution. If they can't figure it out, they ask a phone person to call you and get more information. Then they try to figure out the problem from that answer. If they still can't figure it out, the phone person calls you back for more information. This loop goes on forever until you either have the solution or you cry uncle.

The engineer will never ever speak to a customer, they are too busy and too expensive. The phone person, who knows nothing about cars or your problem, talks to you.

So don't expect a phone call anywhere near what an email said you would get. Those busy engineers are busy working on solving your problem and they don't need you yet.

I could be wrong about how Ford generally handles problems - that's the experience I've had (not a good one).

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:13 pm 

EVA wrote:
The engineer will never ever speak to a customer, they are too busy and too expensive. The phone person, who knows nothing about cars or your problem, talks to you.

This is such a backwards way to diagnose and handle customer problems (that rise the level of having an engineer involved). The engineer (or at least someone else very closely involved, and who does have the necessary knowledge) should talk to the customer in these cases.

It sounds like Ford simply has a process that makes sure calls are made (though by people who can't actually do anything about the problem) instead of a process that makes sure the problem gets solved. So, all that happens is that calls are made.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:21 am 

I'd agree that engineers don't usually take calls, but they would be involved if an issue escalates high enough.

However, you don't need the engineer on this one. You need a good technician. All the problems originate at the BCM, body control module. The switches in the door talk to the door module that sends commands over the CAN interface to the BCM that sends commands to the other door modules. If you get the right tech with the right equipment, they should be able to diagnose the root cause and successfully fix the issue.

But because the techs are in high demand too, and expensive, it usually saves some money by replacing a few suspected components first...like some switches...before pulling out the big guns.

Anyway, just my opinion. Oh, and it doesn't take an FFE expert to resolve this one....anyone who can work with CAN on any Focus should be able to do this.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 pm 

Hi wanpianzhou,

My 2013 FFE is having the same issue as yours. Would you please share how your issue was resolved? I have the exact symptoms you describe, driver side window controls, interior lights, etc., stopped working.

I found that the 10A fuse, number 60, was blown in my car. I bought another fuse but when I inserted it, the fuse immediately blew up! Must have developed a short somewhere I guess.

I am going to take it in to the dealer this weekend. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ben

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:45 pm 

Just an FYI.

Dealer traced the issue with my car to a short on the wires powering the vanity mirror lighting. The wire shrink wrap wore through against the mounting bracket where they bend/unbend as you move the visor to shade between the windshield and driver side window. The cables were probably never tied down properly. Got a discount on the labor.