An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:45 am 

I've had mine for the past 3 winters in Northern Ohio. The past 3 winters have been mild so I haven't gotten a whole lot of snow/ice experience in the FFE. As far as winter tires go, I think they are a waste of money at least for Toledo, OH. The stock tires on my previous vehicle have a 185 tread width compared to the wider 235 tread width of the FFE tire. 4 and 5 winters ago were especially snowy and icy and the all season tires I had handled the snow better than expected. I never got stuck and the few times I almost did were because the snow was so deep it was lifting the car off the road. I'd expect the wider FFE tires to handle the deep stuff more poorly. Unfortunately the most they've seen is 4 inches and that was no problem so I don't know yet. I have no doubt snow tires would be an improvement but for as quickly as they clear the roads here it really wouldn't be worth it to get snow tires. I guess what I'm getting it is there's nothing special about the FFE that would require snow tires compared to any other FWD car. If you needed them for your other car then you will probably want them for the FFE.

Not that you need to conserve battery but thanks to jumeller065 I learned that cracking the driver or passenger window significantly reduces window fogging and reduces the amount of defrost you have to use which effectively runs the heater and AC simultaneously to dry the air.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:39 am 

triangles wrote:
I guess what I'm getting it is there's nothing special about the FFE that would require snow tires compared to any other FWD car.

I would say the stock Michelin Energy tires are nowhere near the tread and handling that a typical car's All Season Radial Tire is capable of.
The winter was also mild in Cleveland, but when the snow machine began dropping 6+ inches, my Blizzaks were certainly worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:22 am 

Pearl wrote:
I would say the stock Michelin Energy tires are nowhere near the tread and handling that a typical car's All Season Radial Tire is capable of.

Excluding deep snow since I haven't had any experience with the OE Michelin tires in that yet, I respectfully disagree. Of the all season tires I've had on my other cars, the OE Michelins are average to slightly above average compared to the others. On other cars I've had all season tires that are much better and some that are much worse in snow and ice. It certainly is easier to spin the front wheels on the FFE as they only carry 49% of the vehicle weight compared to a more typical 60+% (ICE FWD) and the electric motor's natural full torque at 0 RPM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:19 am 

triangles wrote:
Excluding deep snow since I haven't had any experience with the OE Michelin tires in that yet, I respectfully disagree.

I was speaking of exclusively handling in snow.
Two words, Lake Effect.
Drive just two hours east, triangles and try it! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 am 

Lake Effect: No car does that well when the snow is 10' deep ;)

I used to have endless fun in my F-350 on "snow days".

2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm 

Pearl wrote:
I was speaking of exclusively handling in snow.
Two words, Lake Effect.
Drive just two hours east, triangles and try it! ;)

Okay well I'll take your word for it then since I haven't driven my FFE in deep snow yet. I imagine the width of the tires being bad for snow. Believe me I'm all too familiar with lake effect snow. :D I used to live in Brunswick and have family all over the Cleveburg area. :cry: Sadly for me now by the time the lake effect snow from Lake Michigan gets to Toledo it's a half inch or less. Sometimes even just flurries.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:18 pm 

triangles wrote:
Believe me I'm all too familiar with lake effect snow. :D I used to live in Brunswick and have family all over the Cleveburg area. :cry:

That WEST SIDE snow isn't snow, LOL. The Snow Belt is where it's at !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:29 am 

I had always considered Brunswick south side but now that you mention it, it is slightly west and you're right it's not in the primary snow belt but still is in the secondary snow belt. My relatives in Lake County are what I was referring to. They get the awesome snow you speak of. Maybe I should have been more specific instead of saying Cleveburg area.