Warranties and Recalls on Used FFEs

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlugInPerson

I'm comparing three used FFEs:
2013 with 24k miles for $12k
2014 with 19k miles for $13k
2015 with 27k miles for $14k

The VINs for the 2014 and 2015 show up in the NHTSA system for having incomplete recalls for the faulty door latch, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with that recall, especially on an FFE purchased used.

I also want to confirm that the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty for hybrid parts extends to second owners. Assuming it does, I'm leaning toward the 2015 despite the higher number of miles on the car. Thoughts?

My apologies if similar questions have been answered elsewhere in this forum. I did search before posting.

Recalls are recalls - no matter if you are the first or twentieth owner.

The problem with the door latches, they are still in short supply. The dealer has to order the part and they typically won't do that unless your car is in for some other service. Or you have a really good relationship with your dealer.

I had the 2012 ICE Focus in for a bunch of work. They ordered the latch for me. It came in about two weeks later. They didn't order the latch for the 2013 FFE. I had to call back and have a service rep I know well order the part. That was a couple weeks ago, the part still isn't in.

The latch recall is all Focus (and maybe others). And Ford is very short on the parts still.

All the other recalls - don't worry about them, a dealer will take care of them no questions asked. The latch is a weird case.

In my view mileage is irrelevant in these cars. Where they lived is more important for rust (not battery health or motor issues). If one of those is a known California car, buy that one. And of course you need to look at all three.

I was shopping last year found three FFE's. One was a smoker car (unless you smoke, NEVER buy a smoker car). The other was a color I didn't care for (and they were still way overpricing the car at that time and wouldn't budge). The third, I purchased from an independent used car lot. The price was exactly right, and the car was a California car (it still had the HOV stickers on it). I messed up not looking more closely at the tires. There was a mutt brand new cheap tire on one side. Ruined the handling and braking for the car. Had to buy a set of 4 tires, should have squeezed the lot for some money off.

Good luck. You're well within the reasonably correct price range.

Oh - careful with the 2015 - that isn't coming off lease. There might be a bad reason that car is for sale. The 2013 is probably a leased car that has been for sale for a while (maybe a year and maybe you can get them down a couple thousand). The 2014 might well be in the same boat. Leases are typically 3 years.

PlugInPerson said:
I'm comparing three used FFEs:
2013 with 24k miles for $12k
2014 with 19k miles for $13k
2015 with 27k miles for $14k

The VINs for the 2014 and 2015 show up in the NHTSA system for having incomplete recalls for the faulty door latch, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with that recall, especially on an FFE purchased used.

I also want to confirm that the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty for hybrid parts extends to second owners. Assuming it does, I'm leaning toward the 2015 despite the higher number of miles on the car. Thoughts?

My apologies if similar questions have been answered elsewhere in this forum. I did search before posting.

Those prices are WAY too high. I got my brand new 2015 for $15,389.99 (after taxes, tags, dealer processing fee, rebates, and $7500 gov't tax credit).

Thank you everyone, this is all very helpful. Based on what you all have said about pricing, I'm leaning toward just buying a 2017 FFE. If I buy used, I'll make sure it's a California car and under $10k.

Just to confirm: the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid components is transferable to new owners?

PlugInPerson said:
Thank you everyone, this is all very helpful. Based on what you all have said about pricing, I'm leaning toward just buying a 2017 FFE. If I buy used, I'll make sure it's a California car and under $10k.

Just to confirm: the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid components is transferable to new owners?

The FFE does not have hybrid components, it is a pure electric.

Yes, whatever factory warranty there is remaining (including the warranty on the electric components) is transferable, assuming the vehicle is still eligible (hasn't been totaled, etc.).

campfamily said:
PlugInPerson said:

The FFE does not have hybrid components, it is a pure electric.

Yes, whatever factory warranty there is remaining (including the warranty on the electric components) is transferable, assuming the vehicle is still eligible (hasn't been totaled, etc.).

Well sort of: I've found that my C-Max Energi has a lot more in common with my old FFE than I thought it would. Strangely enough when in "EV Only" mode it uses the same mechanism to heat the cabin, and it also has the same vacuum pump for the brakes.

That's interesting about the common components. So it only has the vacuum pump and that same cooling / heating circuit? Or does it have duplicate everything? I get it, when the engine isn't running, there is no vacuum. Seems like a common plug in hybrid issue.

Back