An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Wifi in car
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:06 pm 

I joined the thread today because I could not connect to my wifi at home. I did in the past, though as most said, Why?

Consider this: you are in a rare situation where either you are allowed a limited number of connections, or you want to do in car networking of items - it will use one wifi as one connection then DCHP your devices. Or you are say on a cable wifi connection then DCHP connection your other non cellular devices.

It also helps protect your devices from the public network you might be connecting to.

It's neat and works rather well, however we just don't have a big time use for it. My grandson has a somewhat deaf wifi device he enjoys so connecting to the car improves his connectivity.

It's also easier to have multiple devices make one connection to the car and then make one connection to the wifi hotspot...

Food for thought. You still probably will rarely use it.

Now back to why I am not able to connect... is it because of the modem upgrade to 3G? Mine was upgraded... Hmmm...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:03 pm 

I don't get it... you park at home (so the car can connect to your home wifi) and then you sit in your car connecting and using your devices?

Wouldn't you rather be in your house using your devices?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:42 am 

WattsUp wrote:
I don't get it... you park at home (so the car can connect to your home wifi) and then you sit in your car connecting and using your devices?

1. SYNC3 supposedly automatically checks over Wi-Fi for system updates. I don't know when it checks, but it would be good to have Wi-Fi available when it does.
2. You're not always at home when you charge. A public charging station with Wi-Fi access is a very nice place to watch YouTube/Netflix on a tablet. (And I finally found a way to overcome the 1s audio delay you get over Bluetooth/USB: I bought a cheap FM transmitter.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 am 

Originally, why did Ford add the WiFi connection? Because it probably came free on some computer board they bought. And then they thought it would be some amazing marketing ploy. Remember when some car maker (think it was Chevy) was all so so cool because their car was a hotspot and you could connect all your devices inside the car to that one car WiFi connection?

So Ford probably went down the path half baked. Put the cheap thing in first. Then figured out it was expensive to put in a cellular modem. And that nobody would pay Ford for the data service inside the car. So we had this lame piece of uselessness left over from a good idea gone really bad.

Don't know about Sync3 - it would surprise me if Ford could figure out or would want to do over the air updates to the car. Shoot that would be like too much the right thing to do, and it would cost them a ton of money, and their dealers wouldn't be able to charge to update the firmware for people scared of USB sticks and updating themselves.

I think the WiFi thing, at least in Sync 2 cars is a thing that serves absolutely no purpose.

As Wattsup said - why the heck would you connect a hotspot to the car and then connect your devices to the car? Hotspots ALL allow multiple devices connected to them. And when you're sitting at home, why would you connect to the car instead of directly to your home network? If you have a limited number of connections allowed by your router - go spend $20 on an extender- or you have the wrong router and need an upgrade.

And to the OP - added security? I don't think Ford built in any kind of security on the car network. It isn't any more secure than the hotspot you are connecting to the car.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:48 pm 

EVA wrote:
Originally, why did Ford add the WiFi connection? Because it probably came free on some computer board they bought. And then they thought it would be some amazing marketing ploy. Remember when some car maker (think it was Chevy) was all so so cool because their car was a hotspot and you could connect all your devices inside the car to that one car WiFi connection?

So Ford probably went down the path half baked. Put the cheap thing in first. Then figured out it was expensive to put in a cellular modem. And that nobody would pay Ford for the data service inside the car. So we had this lame piece of uselessness left over from a good idea gone really bad.

Don't know about Sync3 - it would surprise me if Ford could figure out or would want to do over the air updates to the car. Shoot that would be like too much the right thing to do, and it would cost them a ton of money, and their dealers wouldn't be able to charge to update the firmware for people scared of USB sticks and updating themselves.

I think the WiFi thing, at least in Sync 2 cars is a thing that serves absolutely no purpose.

As Wattsup said - why the heck would you connect a hotspot to the car and then connect your devices to the car? Hotspots ALL allow multiple devices connected to them. And when you're sitting at home, why would you connect to the car instead of directly to your home network? If you have a limited number of connections allowed by your router - go spend $20 on an extender- or you have the wrong router and need an upgrade.

And to the OP - added security? I don't think Ford built in any kind of security on the car network. It isn't any more secure than the hotspot you are connecting to the car.

Remember: MFT/Sync 2 originally was Microsoft. All that came for the ride because its windows (networking, etc.). There was even plans to have a browser in the window but as the project got more and more behind and buggy more and more features were "decontented" such as the browser, hot spot.

The hotspot feature did work but you had to buy a separate USB cellular modem (e.g. the customer's $$) MFT would recognize it when you plugged it in and provide a hotspot for the car (thus providing a hotspot when connected to wifi isn't/wasn't the original intended idea--in fact I don't think that works because you're changing the wifi driver's mode to a hotspot; once you do that it cannot sync up with a wifi network).

Sync 3: There was an intent for you to get software updates via WiFi connection on sync 3, but again...it doesn't work.

2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 pm 

Thanks for the reminder. Good intentions gone wrong.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:05 am 

jmueller065 wrote:
Sync 3: There was an intent for you to get software updates via WiFi connection on sync 3, but again...it doesn't work.

According to owner.ford.com, my system was updated on May 26, three days after I brought it home from the dealer. It seems that OTA updates are working, or they are lying about the installed date.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 pm 

ghiebert wrote:
jmueller065 wrote:

According to owner.ford.com, my system was updated on May 26, three days after I brought it home from the dealer. It seems that OTA updates are working, or they are lying about the installed date.

It is also possible that Ford's database was updated 3 days after you brought it home.

2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:48 am 

jmueller065 wrote:
It is also possible that Ford's database was updated 3 days after you brought it home.

True, and I would include that under "lying".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:05 am 

The 2017 model is supposed to do Sync 3 automatic updates over the Wi-Fi. I let my 2017 FFE connected to my home Wi-Fi just in case there is a software push. Other than that I haven't seen much use for Wi-Fi on my FFEs.

2004 White GMC Envoy XL SLT 4WD