An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:42 am 

Got a 2017 FFE two days ago, I've had the SSN problem twice now. Not sure what the next step is, particularly since it's so soon after getting it. I've contacted the dealership so I'll see what they say.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:15 am 

sferth wrote:
Got a 2017 FFE two days ago, I've had the SSN problem twice now. Not sure what the next step is, particularly since it's so soon after getting it. I've contacted the dealership so I'll see what they say.

My wife just got the wrench light display on the dash on our 2017 today. The car would cut off power when trying to go over 80km/h. She then pulled over since the traffic was moving much faster and she got worried. She turned off the engine, turn it on the second time and the car would barely move when pressing down on the pedal. Turned if off again, and turned it on again, it worked fine. She seem to think this is because she drove it with L selected versus D drive selection. We've had it for less than 2 weeks with just 500 kms driven. Hope this does not turn into a bigger problem. We are in Ontario, Canada.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:47 am 

JELI wrote:
She seem to think this is because she drove it with L selected versus D drive selection.

Driving in L is not a problem at any time. It just doubles up the regen; it wouldn't have any impact at all on highway driving.

(I would expect a dealer to tell you exactly the opposite. Because they only understand ICE cars, they will probably say you're running the engine too fast or something if you're in L—regardless of the fact that there is only one fixed gear. :) )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:59 pm 

ghiebert wrote:
JELI wrote:
She seem to think this is because she drove it with L selected versus D drive selection.

Driving in L is not a problem at any time. It just doubles up the regen; it wouldn't have any impact at all on highway driving.

(I would expect a dealer to tell you exactly the opposite. Because they only understand ICE cars, they will probably say you're running the engine too fast or something if you're in L—regardless of the fact that there is only one fixed gear. :) )

I agree. Driving in L isn't the issue and luckily the dealership didn't seem to suggest it either. They are not able to replicate the issue after the car was dropped off and have to do more testing. It is very frustrating to know that there is something going on with the car, but when the dealership has it, it's perfectly normal!!! To be fair, they do believe something is not normal, but they're having some issues with pinpointing the exact problem.

They gave us a rental, so at least I'll have something to use in the meantime (Edge), but man do I hate going back to fill up the gas tank!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:17 pm 

JELI wrote:
To be fair, they [the dealership people] do believe something is not normal, but they're having some issues with pinpointing the exact problem.

Many of us are Very interested, as well as sorry to read of this. Please DO TELL here about anything useful that is learned.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:26 am 

JTCalif wrote:
JELI wrote:
To be fair, they [the dealership people] do believe something is not normal, but they're having some issues with pinpointing the exact problem.

Many of us are Very interested, as well as sorry to read of this. Please DO TELL here about anything useful that is learned.

Will do. As of this morning, they don't have any new information to share. They apparently are contacting Ford engineering for assistance, which hopefully is a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 am 

Got the car back last Wednesday. Problem solved (at least for now).

Ford said that there was a loose wire in the main harness that was chafing against another wire that caused the intermittent power.

Hopefully that's the only problem related to power loss that I have to deal with. Wife is losing confidence in the car after this experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:35 am 

Got SSN for the fist time in our 2013 FFE w 60k miles. First time Tuesday night on startup at full charge. Shutting off once and re starting removed the SSN message and the car drove normally. Wednesday morning (again on startup) the wrench and SSN came up for the second time (at about 65% SOC 30 miles away from home). No matter how many times we tried to restart the car it wouldn't move. It was solidly in SSN mode... Had car towed to dealer where they have been working on it for a couple of days now. Nothing found yet :roll:

(Yes our car has already through and fixed with the original SSN recall) How is it possible after 4 years and counting of SSN on so many cars that Ford still don't know what it is and how to solve it???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:04 am 

edriver wrote:
Got SSN for the fist time in our 2013 FFE w 60k miles. First time Tuesday night on startup at full charge. Shutting off once and re starting removed the SSN message and the car drove normally. Wednesday morning (again on startup) the wrench and SSN came up for the second time (at about 65% SOC 30 miles away from home). No matter how many times we tried to restart the car it wouldn't move. It was solidly in SSN mode... Had car towed to dealer where they have been working on it for a couple of days now. Nothing found yet :roll:

(Yes our car has already through and fixed with the original SSN recall) How is it possible after 4 years and counting of SSN on so many cars that Ford still don't know what it is and how to solve it???

I think it has already been stated by someone else, but the problem is that any issue with the drive-train gets reported in the same way. Battery, connector, relay, whatever, it becomes an SSN; and unfortunately, it isn't easy to diagnose on your own. I do need to look into one of the OBDII modules for FFE.

However, I myself, just got my car back from the dealer after 2 months in the shop. I got an unrecoverable SSN and had it towed to the dealer. Battery was shipped to Michigan and Ford deemed the battery bad. A new 2017 battery was installed and then a technician was flown out to reprogram. $23,000 later, I get my car back...zero cost to me. I am hopeful for the time after the 8 year warranty expires on the drive-train, but making a backup plan :).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:15 pm 

[/quote]
I think it has already been stated by someone else, but the problem is that any issue with the drive-train gets reported in the same way. Battery, connector, relay, whatever, it becomes an SSN; and unfortunately, it isn't easy to diagnose on your own. I do need to look into one of the OBDII modules for FFE.

However, I myself, just got my car back from the dealer after 2 months in the shop. I got an unrecoverable SSN and had it towed to the dealer. Battery was shipped to Michigan and Ford deemed the battery bad. A new 2017 battery was installed and then a technician was flown out to reprogram. $23,000 later, I get my car back...zero cost to me. I am hopeful for the time after the 8 year warranty expires on the drive-train, but making a backup plan :).[/quote]

two month's in the shop!? Unbelievable :o
So 2017 battery, good for you! Did they give you the full 33 kWh capacity or software locked to 23 kWh?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next