Admin user try to access my vehicule

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyfraser

Hello,

I have received a notification this morning from Myfordmobile that Mark Henderson has requested to access my vehicle. I don't know this guy and I did not click on the link because I did not want to accept by default.

I have received an other message 30 minutes ago that Mark has initiated the process to take over control of my Focus. If this is unexpected, you can decline access from the in-vehicule prompts.

I am still at work for 3 hours and I am a bit scare that someone has my NIV and try to take control of my car. I don't see any request on my Fordmobile profile. I hope that it is just someone who did a NIV typo and I can decline the access when I get to my car.

Someone else had a similar issue ?

Joey

No my car was brand new. I have sent an email to Myfordmobile support. I have received a second request that I have rejected. It comes from a weird email [email protected]. This domain is not registered to Ford and It does not look clean when I search on Whois.
http://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited

campfamily said:
Did you buy your car used? Wonder if this is the previous owner seeing if he still has access?

Joey,
That's scary. Totally agree. Can't imagine a legitimate Ford Engineer or Admin (as you titled this thread) would attempt to do what you described. It can't be a legitimate attempt to access your car.

I'd say a phone call to Ford is the better way to go. You'll get a faster response.

The good news though, there isn't much they can do to your car with MyFordMobile. Think about what you can do with the car - turn the heat on, start it, unlock it - but you can't drive it, steer it, apply the brakes. And it does require an agreement inside the car, along with a 24 hour wait before that email address can actually access your car. Remember when you signed up, and first did your connection to the car?

After a 3rd tentative to access my car by Mark Henderson, I have called Ford Mobile Support line today and they will escalade the issue and try to localise the account.

Like you said Eva, there is not a lot of things that someone can do with the 1st
Authorization of the car. Without the autorisation in the car you cannot do anything.

I hope to get a feedback from Ford early next week.

Thanks

Couple questions: first, what's the latest news on this (over a week later)? Second, how exactly are you being notified of these attempts? Is it just an email you're receiving, or notification in the app, or on-screen in the car, or some other way I can't imagine right now?

Abelgoddard said:
Couple questions: first, what's the latest news on this (over a week later)? Second, how exactly are you being notified of these attempts? Is it just an email you're receiving, or notification in the app, or on-screen in the car, or some other way I can't imagine right now?

Hi, I have received another request last week even if Ford told me that the account was blocked. I have decided to send an email to Mark Henderson to inform him that Ford were doing an investigation on him trying to access my car. I did not received other request from him since. :)

When you add a NIV on a Ford Mobile account, the system will send an email to the owner of the car if it has been registered before. The car send also the request in the screen and if it is accepted, the user can have access to basic function like locking/ unlocking doors. To have access to all Ford Mobile features (location, remote start, stats, charging settings, etc.), the second authorization needs to be accepted in the car 24h after the 1st authorization.

In conclusion, it is almost impossible for someone to take possession of someone else's car. It is just not nice to receive these requests....

Joey

sounds to me like a scam artist who is remotely trying to hack into your car, not unlike hacking into your computer at home...

I'm not a FFE owner (yet), so help me out here - the hacker wants access to money...what information is stored in the car's computer? charging account information (chargepoint?), linked with a credit card perhaps?

that's what I'm thinking...or maybe is there like an itunes account or something? satellite radio? those accounts could have bank information in there. that's what they're after.

people are probably not out to steal your car (although not impossible)...

signal twenty said:
sounds to me like a scam artist who is remotely trying to hack into your car, not unlike hacking into your computer at home...

I'm not a FFE owner (yet), so help me out here - the hacker wants access to money...what information is stored in the car's computer? charging account information (chargepoint?), linked with a credit card perhaps?

that's what I'm thinking...or maybe is there like an itunes account or something? satellite radio? those accounts could have bank information in there. that's what they're after.

people are probably not out to steal your car (although not impossible)...
You can track the vehicle via MyFordMobile, this person may have noticed your car parked somewhere, wrote down the VIN, is trying to gain MyFordMobile access and at this point stealing things from the car would be all too easy- they know where it's parked AND have the electronic means to unlock it. Keep valuables out of the car and keep denying these requests, this is nasty stuff. If it persists much longer it might be worth involving the police, perhaps Ford would assist the cops in tracing down whoever is doing this.

Or, if they can track the car, know when you're not at home and try to break in there. Sounds like a bad idea all around.

Slightly unrelated, when I bought my 2017 FFE a couple weeks ago the salesman warned me... while you can plug in your Home address in the favorites in the Nav system, he urged me not to do so. He's seen folks mugged before or overwhelmed by folks trying to mug them who get ahold of the keys, find the car, then thanks to the Nav system they know exactly where they live...
(while I don't use the Nav all that much, I'm assuming there's some form of history you can search anyhow and find this information regardless, but that would take your typical perpetrator more effort)

spirilis said:
Slightly unrelated, when I bought my 2017 FFE a couple weeks ago the salesman warned me... while you can plug in your Home address in the favorites in the Nav system, he urged me not to do so. He's seen folks mugged before or overwhelmed by folks trying to mug them who get ahold of the keys, find the car, then thanks to the Nav system they know exactly where they live...
(while I don't use the Nav all that much, I'm assuming there's some form of history you can search anyhow and find this information regardless, but that would take your typical perpetrator more effort)

UMMMMM......couldn't they just take the registration out of the glove box and find out the same thing? :geek:

campfamily said:
spirilis said:

UMMMMM......couldn't they just take the registration out of the glove box and find out the same thing? :geek:
Yeah.... they certainly could. Lol

campfamily said:
spirilis said:

In Ohio, your home address is no longer listed on the Registration Copy that is left in the car.
Though, having a registration in the car in this day and age seems rather un-necessary; everything is available to law enforcement online.

Pearl said:
campfamily said:
spirilis said:

In Ohio, your home address is no longer listed on the Registration Copy that is left in the car.
Though, having a registration in the car in this day and age seems rather un-necessary; everything is available to law enforcement online.

Interesting....not the case in California where I live.

Back