2017 FFE let's get some real data here.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fbitz777 said:
I have not yet studied the location of the fast DC chargers around me (I have however found a free one 2 miles from me at 50kw) so not sure the '17FFE is really for me (although I have one on order).

I live in an urban area, and there are a few fast chargers within about 20 km of where I live. Further away from the city, they are still too sparse here (IMHO) to depend on for trips with anything less than a Tesla or Bolt, especially since most of them are free and therefore lacking incentive to remain operational—I frequently see "out of service" complaints in the PlugShare comments—not to mention far away from L2 chargers that could serve as backups.

A half hour or hour wait every 150 km is not bad. A 24-hour or 7-day wait is much worse.

ghiebert said:
A half hour or hour wait every 150 km is not bad. A 24-hour or 7-day wait is much worse.

If you had to charge on L2 due to defective DC charger, it would take 5 hours to charge, not 24. That's still pretty bad.

Yes an extra hour every 150 km is not bad, but it's not good either. Having an "easy way" in the form of a low consumption ICE in my garage, which I can drive at full speed and get there an hour earlier, is honestly way too convenient to not use it.

What I've proven with my trip is that I COULD choose to have a single car, and that car could be electric, without sacrificing the possibility of taking longer trips on occasion. It's totally doable and reasonable. But in my specific situation, given the fact that I also have an ICE because I need 2 cars (for the wife), the ICE is a much more tempting alternative for those occasional long trips.

pcph said:
If you had to charge on L2 due to defective DC charger, it would take 5 hours to charge, not 24. That's still pretty bad.
I agree. At least you could put enough L2 juice in to make it to the next DC charger. However (as far as I can tell from PlugShare) there aren't even L2 chargers nearby for some of them.
Having an "easy way" in the form of a low consumption ICE in my garage, which I can drive at full speed and get there an hour earlier, is honestly way too convenient to not use it.
We are and will always be a one-car (and one-driver's-licence) family. But there's a car-sharing co-op for local hauling and rentals for the occasional road trip. Much more practical for our situation than getting a second car.

ghiebert said:
We are and will always be a one-car (and one-driver's-licence) family.
Huh? Is this a family of one person?

Assuming more than one, what if there's an emergency and the person with the license is incapacitated and can't drive?

WattsUp said:
Assuming more than one, what if there's an emergency and the person with the license is incapacitated and can't drive?

This. It's reassuring to have 2 driver's licenses available.

WattsUp said:
ghiebert said:
We are and will always be a one-car (and one-driver's-licence) family.
Huh? Is this a family of one person?

911. For non-medical: taxi, bus, walking, friends...

Cars and driver's licenses are luxuries, not essentials.

ghiebert said:
Cars and driver's licenses are luxuries, not essentials.
:shock: Mind=BLOWN!

In my world, life would be very inconvenient without these. Not to mention quite undesirable. But hey whatever works for your location and lifestyle. I've traveled to Asia for months at a time and after a few weeks of having to rely on taxis and local transportation I begin to experience what I can best describe as something akin to claustrophobia. Maybe I'm just addicted to driving and those unpleasant feelings are withdraw symptoms. :?:

Hello,

I just want to share my Ford Focus Electric 2017 Guess-O-Meter today :D

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0wJqstnBC7Pdl;D9EEE4C7-517B-43B7-ACCB-E75062A5FB12
(sorry I don't know how to resize the image)
258 km / 161 miles

I think my Focus get nervous because we will receive our new Chevy Bolt next week! :lol:

talking about '17FFE

WHY ARE SOME MANY OF THEM IN CANADA?

seems like you guys are getting huge tax incentives? Maybe Ford gets some incentives too?

(can't get one in Pittsburgh area!)

In Quebec we receive 8000$ and in Ontario it is 14000$

fbitz777 said:
talking about '17FFE

WHY ARE SOME MANY OF THEM IN CANADA?

seems like you guys are getting huge tax incentives? Maybe Ford gets some incentives too?

(can't get one in Pittsburgh area!)

joeyfraser said:
Hello,

I just want to share my Ford Focus Electric 2017 Guess-O-Meter today :D

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0wJqstnBC7Pdl;D9EEE4C7-517B-43B7-ACCB-E75062A5FB12
(sorry I don't know how to resize the image)
258 km / 161 miles

I think my Focus get nervous because we will receive our new Chevy Bolt next week! :lol:

Your tires are probably over-inflated due to high temperatures outside. I checked mine this morning while cold and they were at 47 psi. Awfully close to the limit of 51 psi that the tires can take. I removed some air to put them down to 41. Having higher pressure in your tires does increase range, but at the cost of lower traction, uneven tire wear and a harsher ride.

I am not sure that my tires were over inflated. I am doing a range of about 210 km when temperature is higher than 20 degrees Celsius.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and a new FFE owner. I bought a 2017 in October. So far I enjoy the car but I'm wondering if some of you can help me out with conserving/saving energy. I live in Ontario, Canada and the winter can be problematic. I drive about 35km to work one way. One day last week I unplugged my car in the morning with a range of 190km. I came home with only 15km left! I tried everything from minimal use of heating, driving in L, etc. All my gauges were in the blue, as well. Yet no matter what I did I kept on losing mileage and was in the negative. This has happened before, in warmer weather. Am I doing something wrong?

FFE-Guy said:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and a new FFE owner. I bought a 2017 in October. So far I enjoy the car but I'm wondering if some of you can help me out with conserving/saving energy. I live in Ontario, Canada and the winter can be problematic. I drive about 35km to work one way. One day last week I unplugged my car in the morning with a range of 190km. I came home with only 15km left! I tried everything from minimal use of heating, driving in L, etc. All my gauges were in the blue, as well. Yet no matter what I did I kept on losing mileage and was in the negative. This has happened before, in warmer weather. Am I doing something wrong?

Check tire pressure (should be close to 41). Reduce heater usage (set the auto temperature target to a low number). Pre-heat the car with the remote starter while plugged in before you leave. Also, allow some time (a few days) for the guess-o-meter to adapt to your driving habits, temperature and possibly new tires and driving conditions. After a few days, the guess-o-meter should give you an accurate value when you get in and only vary when the outside temperature changes (if on a given day the heater has to work more than yesterday, you will have less range today so the guess-o-meter will slowly adjust as you drive).

Good luck! I know I'm finding that the range has dropped drastically with lower temperatures.

85 kms range (35+35+15) seems like very low even for such a winter as we have here in Ontario) Yesterday I drove about 75 kms and came back with about 40% juice left, so roughly 140 kms total range.
What speeds are you driving at? If it's 120km/h highway driving, then yeah I can see your range dropping to below 100.
Driving on L won't help you much with range. What's your average consumption when you finish your trip? Check your myfordmobile trip and charge log.

FFE-Guy said:
Hello everyone,

It was -18C this morning in Montreal, Qc this morning. I drive 55 km for commute, total of 110 km. I have to stop by a DC fast charger when it is colder than -10C because I do not have enough battery to come back home. My range was around 200 km in the summer, it is normal to have 40/50% less in extreme cold weather.

Hi,
I live in Toronto and in these days with cold weather (today -17 C or 4 F) I cannot get more than 120-130 KM per full charge. I use the seat heater plus the auto temp is on 20 C to save energy. Just wanted to share my story.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I do all of that. I preheat car before I leave and it's still plugged in. I usually allow 10 min before I unplug. The heater is set to 19C. Tire pressure is fine and it's mostly city driving at at avg of 60km/hr.

Just one question: What's the "Guess-O-Metre"?

PS. I have the myford application but it won't sync with my car. So I have no data to go on.

Like I said. I'm new to all this....

FFE-Guy said:
Thanks for the tips, guys. I do all of that. I preheat car before I leave and it's still plugged in. I usually allow 10 min before I unplug. The heater is set to 19C. Tire pressure is fine and it's mostly city driving at at avg of 60km/hr.

Just one question: What's the "Guess-O-Metre"?

PS. I have the myford application but it won't sync with my car. So I have no data to go on.

Like I said. I'm new to all this....
The Guess-O-Meter is what we call the range to empty display (miles to empty). Since it fluctuates wildly based on current consumption it appears more as a guess than some accurate value.

More on that here: https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/the-guess-o-meter/

Back