My bad: I spilled soda on the USB/SD Card center - plz help

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artyfishel

Ok - so I admit. It was ALL my fault, but I spilled about 2 ounces of soda on the USB, SD card, Media center port that was inside my console -- I have a 2013 FFE (please don't ask how the soda got INSIDE of the console)

About 20 seconds later, the USB audio stopped playing and the Nav system says SD card not inserted.

I dried off everything and blew my air compressor to the ports to try to blow out any additional moisture.

I've read-up and tried to pull the fuse to the Sync system, and it comes back up saying that it is updating, but both the USB and SD card slots are still not working. I didn't wait too long before putting the fuse back in -- btw the fuse diagram in the owners manual is WRONG!

I pulled out and checked all of the fuses located in the passenger front side and didn't see any blown fuses. Am I missing something? Is there some inline fuse to the media center? Is there some other fuse location?

Thanks in advance!

I feel your pain. I once dumped some grape Crush into my laptop. Fortunately the colour made it easy to clean up once I opened the case, but some of my keys were still sticky underneath for a long while afterwards.

When you say that the USB and SD slots are still not working, are you saying that the system reports them as unavailable somehow, or just that they aren't responding to your usb sticks and SD cards?

There should only be low-voltage electronics near the plugs, and soda isn't the strongest conductor in the world, so I don't think you've done any damage anywhere but near the plugs. If the problem is just that it doesn't seem to see your devices, I would try getting something small, like a folded-up business card, and using it to rub plain water onto the terminals in the USB slot. Then try plugging in a device which is known to be good. If it is still not recognising the device, try again a few times. (You might want to apply the same procedure to device-side plug after removing it, in case you've transferred the contaminant across.)

Then I'd try the same thing with the SD slot.

That's super sadness.

Yeah, probably sugar coating on the contacts. That damp card idea is excellent and worth trying.

On the other hand, if using water doesn't clean that up - you've probably toasted some electronics. Don't think there is anything you could have done to prevent the problem once the soda was in there. Even pulling the cards and the USB device - the sockets are all still hot and the liquid probably shorted across the contacts. 5 volts got somewhere the designers didn't expect. It wouldn't be any different than spilling something into your computer USB sockets.

EVA said:
That's super sadness.

Yeah, probably sugar coating on the contacts. That damp card idea is excellent and worth trying.

On the other hand, if using water doesn't clean that up - you've probably toasted some electronics. Don't think there is anything you could have done to prevent the problem once the soda was in there. Even pulling the cards and the USB device - the sockets are all still hot and the liquid probably shorted across the contacts. 5 volts got somewhere the designers didn't expect. It wouldn't be any different than spilling something into your computer USB sockets.

Thanks (+ ghelbert) for the quick feedback... Ill try cleaning the contacts when I get home from work.

The Usb says no devices found. Nav says insert SD card.

So toasted electronics? I guess i need to buy a part from the dealer. Bummer

Less than $90.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ford-Control-Module-BT4Z-19A387-B-/272658833448?fits=Model%3AFocus&hash=item3f7bbba028:g:DQYAAOSwjqVZDIo3&vxp=mtr

Pearl said:
Less than $90.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Ford-Control-Module-BT4Z-19A387-B-/272658833448?fits=Model%3AFocus&hash=item3f7bbba028:g:DQYAAOSwjqVZDIo3&vxp=mtr

Ordered --

Can someone send a link as to how to get this things out? I tried, but I think I have to take the whole console off, is that true? I guess I can find it on YouTube!

EVA said:
It would take some searching on this forum - somebody had the full shop manual set on here. Can't remember where it was.

FYI

Here is a link to a shop manual -- http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/415986-mk3-workshop-manual.html

Hope it has the info - downloading now....

Here is a link directly to a PDF https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AGzTioAfzPstELs&id=5905CDCF7A65328F%21128&cid=5905CDCF7A65328F

UPDATE

So about a day or so after I ordered the part, the system started to intermittently work again. Lucky for me the part was on back-order and I canceled.

After a few days of the system working, then not, then working again, it has been up for the past week or so.

Lesson learned: DONT SPILL stuff on electronics, but if you do, wait a week or so and see if it dries out and maybe you will get luck -- I did!

Well, good! I came here to suggest a fine mist or spritz of distilled water into the ports, followed immediately by an extended application of a wet/dry vacuum to remove moisture and residue. Does no one make USB or SD port absorbent 'plugs?' Perhaps one could trim an absorbent coaster into appropriate shapes, then insert a damp one followed by a dry one. Repeat.

artyfishel said:
UPDATE

So about a day or so after I ordered the part, the system started to intermittently work again. Lucky for me the part was on back-order and I canceled.

After a few days of the system working, then not, then working again, it has been up for the past week or so.

Lesson learned: DONT SPILL stuff on electronics, but if you do, wait a week or so and see if it dries out and maybe you will get luck -- I did!
Glad it ended well.

Back