An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:24 am 

I think I'm going to try this. I have a 3kw custom charger that I got for another project and it's completely programmable. They are also stackable so I could get 6kw and upgrade the generator if I find 3kw is too little. I'm going to connect the charger in the rear and use an outdoor outlet next to the hitch and mount the gen on the hitch carrier I have. I'll bolt it down to prevent someone from easily walking away with it. Then I'll just make a cord to go from the gen to the outlet. I think it should work and already have everything to do it. I just need the setting to charge the batteries at. Any info would be great. I'll probably do my own topic once I get things figured out. I can't think of a reason why it won't work. Later down the road I'll get a California generator that's low emissions and fuel injected but for now I'll run my pull start 5kw 240v gen.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:14 am 

Good luck. I'm curious how you would deal with regen. wouldn't the power from regen braking harm your charger?

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 am 

triangles wrote:
Good luck. I'm curious how you would deal with regen. wouldn't the power from regen braking harm your charger?

You can't drive the car while it's plugged in, so therefore you can't charge while driving. I'm guessing you'd have to pull over and plug it in for a while to charge, like it was a charging station, vs an actual range extender.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:17 am 

A portable Charge Station.

Toss this in the trunk, it only weighs 183 pounds.

https://www.harborfreight.com/engines-g ... 63088.html

Plug in your 30A EVSE (NEMA 14-30), and you can add 20+ miles/hour wherever you want.
Don't forget to bring a ground rod too, as this generator requires Grounding

The Generator must be properly grounded before use. Have the unit grounded
by a qualified electrician if you are not qualified to do so.
To ground the Generator, connect a #6 AWG grounding wire (not included) from the
Grounding Terminal on the Control Panel to a grounding rod (not included) that has been
driven at least 24 inches deep into the earth. The grounding rod must be an earth-driven
copper or brass rod (electrode) which can adequately ground the Generator.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 am 

HA Pearl that is too funny. Not only does it weigh a ton, and probably requires a ground to work, it is about as noisy as you could ever get. Those cheap high power generators are so loud.

Grounding is an issue. Generators are not grounded at all. If the charging station tests the ground circuit, it will never work. I'm not sure what happens with J1172 or Ford. I can tell you this would never work with Tesla - that charging system tests grounding and voltage constantly. I have a really good 120V gas generator, I tried it with my Tesla - it never charged the car. The electronics said no way at any amperage.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:59 am 

EVA wrote:
HA Pearl that is too funny. Not only does it weigh a ton, and probably requires a ground to work, it is about as noisy as you could ever get. Those cheap high power generators are so loud.

Grounding is an issue. Generators are not grounded at all. If the charging station tests the ground circuit, it will never work. I'm not sure what happens with J1172 or Ford. I can tell you this would never work with Tesla - that charging system tests grounding and voltage constantly. I have a really good 120V gas generator, I tried it with my Tesla - it never charged the car. The electronics said no way at any amperage.

I tried charging my FFE with my Honda EU2000 portable generator (110V), worked just fine. But, would have used up two tanks of fuel to completely re-charge the car, so not real efficient.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:05 am 

You guys obviously missed that I have my own charger that I'll be installing on the battery. It is a universal lithium cv/cc 3kw charger that doesn't require ground and it's stackable so I could do 6kw for another $750.
Regen won't hurt it because it's all set to a max voltage, it will just drop the current down during regen into maintain the max voltage. It'll be pull start for now but I'll add remote start and kill later after proof of concept

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 pm 

Windydrew wrote:
You guys obviously missed that I have my own charger that I'll be installing on the battery. It is a universal lithium cv/cc 3kw charger that doesn't require ground and it's stackable so I could do 6kw for another $750.
Regen won't hurt it because it's all set to a max voltage, it will just drop the current down during regen into maintain the max voltage. It'll be pull start for now but I'll add remote start and kill later after proof of concept

Sorry, I don't understand, "universal lithium cv/cc 3kw". It is a gasoline powered generator?

I mean I guess you can do this. It sort of defeats the whole purpose of driving an EV. You're probably generating way more pollution with that small generator than if you just drove an ICE car.

I think you also missed the point that there is an interlock with the car, when it is plugged in, it can't move. Unless you are planning on some kind of way up stream internal connection to the battery, you will have to be stationary while the car charges. The person that did the high amperage charging system can't even drive that car while it is plugged into his alternate system.

Seems like what you are proposing is nothing like the BMW i3 solution. That is a super efficient, pollution controlled generator in the REX. Really quiet and manages the couple of gallons of gasoline in the tank.

2014 Tesla Model S 85

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 am 

And the i3 range extender probably generates more than 6 Kw!

A 6 kw generator would only allow to move 25 miles in best case in one hour and would use about 1 gallon of gas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:38 am 

If I was to do this, I would tie the extra battery charger directly into the battery (with a fuse inline) and it would regulate the voltage to max voltage and not any over that. And they can be paralleled so I could run 18kw with 6 of them powered from a bigger generator and maybe a small motorcycle engine or something. Either way, this would be out in a trailer to give me unlimited range on command and then unhook when not needed and act as my backup home/camper power source. That's the idea anyways