An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:00 am 

campfamily wrote:

Tom - your experience almost exactly mirrors my experience over nearly two years and 21,000 miles. I also live in So Cal, and my round-trip commute is 52 miles when I drive to the train station in Norwalk, or 92 miles if I go all the way to the office. If I drive to the train station, I can round-trip it without having to charge up, which is good, since the park-n-ride where I leave my car doesn't have any charging stations. Obviously if I go to work I need to charge, and my workplace has quite a few Chargepoint L2 stations I can use. I echo all of your comments, except for the diff recall (my car wasn't affected), and the SYNC and Bluetooth. I have an iPhone 6, and I have absolutely no issues with connecting. Sometimes when streaming music I need to start the app on my phone (Pandora) rather than being able to do that from the car screen but I'm okay with that. However, I would prefer to have SYNC 3; my son's 2016 Focus RS has Sync 3 and I prefer that over my version of SYNC. I agree with you on the navigation system, however for the kind of driving I use the FFE for, I seldom need the nav system; it's just to and from work for my car.

The one observation that I'd add to yours, probably classified in the Neutral category, is that the car is so boring to drive. I like to drive, and I like to interact with the car when I drive. My previous cars have all been manual transmission cars (most recently a E60 BMW 550), and I miss shifting, I miss having something to do when I'm driving, other than just pushing on the pedal. That being said, the time and aggravation I save being able to drive in the carpool lane all of the time is worth it.

Keith

We do have parallel lives. I go by the Norwalk station all the time. I once wanted to use the train but there was not enough parking. Of course no electric charging either.

Your comment about the boring driving is very true. My father-in-law loves fast cars, shifting...he looked at it and shrugged....offered to let him drive it and he passed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:32 am 

TomEV wrote:
We do have parallel lives. I go by the Norwalk station all the time. I once wanted to use the train but there was not enough parking. Of course no electric charging either.

Your comment about the boring driving is very true. My father-in-law loves fast cars, shifting...he looked at it and shrugged....offered to let him drive it and he passed

Yep, my father-in-law was the same when I got the car. But, he did drive it, and now he goes around telling everybody how my "fake car" is great fun to drive!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:53 pm 

EVA wrote:
jmueller065 wrote:
Bet it makes a heck of a lot of noise at highway speed when left open.

I have never noticed a noise so far. I almost wish it did. I leave it open way too much and then feel stupid when I get out of the car.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:09 pm 

TomEV wrote:
EVA wrote:
jmueller065 wrote:

I have never noticed a noise so far. I almost wish it did. I leave it open way too much and then feel stupid when I get out of the car.

Oh man same here...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:20 pm 

TomEV wrote:
EVA wrote:
jmueller065 wrote:

Me as well. Driving with the charge port open is the EV equivalent of walking around unzipped.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm 

I agree with you on most points. I too am around 15 months of ownership. The only change i would make is a few months back i updated the USB hub and the Sync3 software so that i have carplay. Love carplay but i must say i have never had any bluetooth issues that i can remember.... not sure why you would have so many.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:32 pm 

campfamily wrote:
The one observation that I'd add to yours, probably classified in the Neutral category, is that the car is so boring to drive. I like to drive, and I like to interact with the car when I drive. My previous cars have all been manual transmission cars (most recently a E60 BMW 550), and I miss shifting, I miss having something to do when I'm driving, other than just pushing on the pedal. That being said, the time and aggravation I save being able to drive in the carpool lane all of the time is worth it.

Keith

Funny as this is opposite for me... Call me crazy but my goal when i drive is to use the brakes as little as possible... so i continuously shift between D and L to reduce speed. Also competing with myself over things like less battery for my work commute, most distance driven on a charge... its probably the most fun I've had with a car I've owned...
Manual although it can be fun was more annoying on my daily commute in this mountainous city than anything and your right driving a regular automatic there's nothing to it.... the FFE with regen is best of both for me!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 pm 

shniestEV wrote:
campfamily wrote:

Keith

Funny as this is opposite for me... Call me crazy but my goal when i drive is to use the brakes as little as possible... so i continuously shift between D and L to reduce speed. Also competing with myself over things like less battery for my work commute, most distance driven on a charge... its probably the most fun I've had with a car I've owned...
Manual although it can be fun was more annoying on my daily commute in this mountainous city than anything and your right driving a regular automatic there's nothing to it.... the FFE with regen is best of both for me!

I started out driving that way. However I quickly discovered it's much easier to just leave the car in L all the time. No need to shift between the two.

And as for campfamily's post, I'm with you all the way. My ICE car is a manual Mini. I wouldn't have it any other way. Getting harder and harder to find manual cars though.....sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:40 am 

scott wrote:
My ICE car is a manual Mini. I wouldn't have it any other way. Getting harder and harder to find manual cars though.....sigh.

Funny you should say that, I just read this article today:
The Stick Shift is dead, long live the Stick Shift

2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 am 

jmueller065 wrote:
Funny you should say that, I just read this article today:
The Stick Shift is dead, long live the Stick Shift

This is the one thing I am very sad to be losing as I replace my old Civic with an FFE. I understand why a manual transmission is unnecessary in an EV, but I will miss it.

I (and a few people I work with) would happily pay $$ for a "stick shift" option in their new car. Replace the PRNDL with something that looks and feels like a five-speed, add an unnecessary clutch pedal, maybe some sound effects. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to program the engine to simulate an ICE engine's torque curve.