Im adding another 12 volt battery post!

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krisverde

In Jan. the battery pooped out on my E Focus. Tested it and it was reading at 7 volts...figured it was 3 year old battery in AZ and it was time to go. Went and bought another one. Fast forward to a couple days ago...car sat for a couple of days not being plugged in to charge the HV Battery and the 12volt battery went flat. Tested it and it was at 7-8 volts. Jumped it and car turned on again. Took battery to get a full charge and it tested good. Battery was sitting at 12.6 volts. Turn car on or charge...voltage jumps to mid 14's.

Anyways, car sat overnight without being plugged in and in the AM I went and tested the battery again...sitting at 12.15 volts. Upon searching this seems to be a common issue on these cars??? It's like there is something that never turns off and puts a constant draw on the battery. I also did see a TSB 13-9-19 for the car which I don't believe has been performed yet. Only the recall for the HV wire was done.

I'd imagine the TSB being preformed would be free because the car is still under the powertrain warranty? My car is a 2013 with 38k on it.

Yes try to get that TSB performed that should include a firmware update to fix the 12v battery issue.
I had 12v battery issues for the first few months I had my 2014 FFE, but after the update I've never had any more 12v battery problems - for almost 2 years since then!
Though I do have a 12v battery charger in my garage for emergencies, also a 12v lithum-ion starter unit in the car, and a 12v accessory port voltage display unit just to be safe!

NightHawk said:
Yes try to get that TSB performed that should include a firmware update to fix the 12v battery issue.
I had 12v battery issues for the first few months I had my 2014 FFE, but after the update I've never had any more 12v battery problems - for almost 2 years since then!
Though I do have a 12v battery charger in my garage for emergencies, also a 12v lithum-ion starter unit in the car, and a 12v accessory port voltage display unit just to be safe!
I have an appointment for later today to drop the car off. The car gave me the "Stop safely now" warning today too. Luckily I was turning right when the green light went out. I just turned the car off and on a few times and it rebooted lol. I think ill start carrying a starter unit in my car from now on. I usually keep a cheap DMM with me to check voltage...but that accessory port one has to be nice so you can watch the voltage while driving.

If you got a SSN you have a problem other than your 12V battery. When the car is on, it is powering all the 12V systems thru the DC-DC converter which includes charging the 12V battery back up. Think of the DC-DC converter being the equivalent of an alternator on an ICE car. There could be a problem with the DC-DC converter cutting out but that is a bit above my head as I do not know if that would even trigger a SSN. However I do know that damaged HV cables or their connectors can trigger a SSN. Either way let us know what they find.

triangles said:
If you got a SSN you have a problem other than your 12V battery. When the car is on, it is powering all the 12V systems thru the DC-DC converter which includes charging the 12V battery back up. Think of the DC-DC converter being the equivalent of an alternator on an ICE car. There could be a problem with the DC-DC converter cutting out but that is a bit above my head as I do not know if that would even trigger a SSN. However I do know that damaged HV cables or their connectors can trigger a SSN. Either way let us know what they find.
Ill keep you guys updated for sure. I know the TSB mentions some E Focus may experience the SSN as well as a low state of charge on the 12v battery. I am curious on what they find.

SO...
I guess the pcm update was applied around the time the HV cable and the modem was replaced. It's going to be 100 bucks to diag the car but not sure im going to have them do that............
poop.

triangles said:
WTF is the dealer charging you for a warranty repair?
It wasn't going to cost anything because it was covered under the powertrain warranty. But since the pcm update was already there they didn't want to do anything else without me paying for a diag.

I guess I still don't understand. If you have a powertrain (5year warranty) or EV component (8 year warranty) problem why do they want to charge you a diag fee? Either I'm missing something or that dealer is taking you for a ride...

Krisverde said:
triangles said:
It wasn't going to cost anything because it was covered under the powertrain warranty. But since the pcm update was already there they didn't want to do anything else without me paying for a diag.

I'd check out another dealer if you can or ask to speak to a different service advisor or the service manager.

triangles said:
I guess I still don't understand. If you have a powertrain (5year warranty) or EV component (8 year warranty) problem why do they want to charge you a diag fee? Either I'm missing something or that dealer is taking you for a ride...
Yea I started thinking about that this weekend...saying why do I need to pay for diag??? This should be covered under the powertrain. Ill be contacting a different dealership this week for sure.

Omen87 said:
Krisverde said:
triangles said:

I'd check out another dealer if you can or ask to speak to a different service advisor or the service manager.
Yup I will do just that!

Took to another dealer...they said the codes that they pulled basically points to the lithium-ion batteries taking a dump. Luckily thats all covered under warranty.

They are supposed to clear the codes and get the car to act up again and then go from there. Ive already told them the SSN has popped up about 3 times now...but it is what it is. Sounds like I won't have the car for a while. Ill keep you guys updated.

Back