2013 FFE with MyFordTouch 3.1.3

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargazer

I have a 2013 FFE with MFT 3.1.3 and have been trying to upgrade the software to 3.5.1 or better. I've managed to find several packages still offered up on ford web locations, only to find that they will not upgrade my really old version. Does anyone who had 3.1.3 still have the .zip or .exe file from when they updated their car? If so, would anyone be willing to share?

I know that it's out there, I just need to find it. I've checked another VIN of a car up for sale in my area and it's a 2013 running version 3.5. Unfortunately the dealer selling it is an independent dealer and likely knows absolutely nothing about Ford's vehicles, much less any other vehicle on their lot.

Thanks,

You could always just take it to a Ford dealer: The upgrade is free (if the Ford dealer tries to charge you something just walk away and find another).

I can't remember exactly, but I think somewhere along the way a hardware upgrade was required in order to move to a certain later version of MFT.

I think it was 3.6.x or so that would not install unless you also had the updated hardware. At the time, the updated hardware was free via a recall. (Maybe it still is?) But, you had to go to the dealer.

After that, I believe I updated myself to some later version, 3.8.x or so, via USB stick after downloading the files from the Ford website.

When I had 3.1.3, I was unable to upgrade myself via USB. I took it into the dealer, and they had one hell of a time updating. IIRC, they had to swap out my APIM. Running 3.8 ever since, no issues.

I took it to the dealer and they "loaded" an update, but when i got it back, it still showed the old version 4.27.12058 a.k.a. 3.1.3. Mine has the warranty extension 12M02 for the APIM, but we haven't really explored that due to the fact the unit is still functioning. They won't replace it under 12M02 unless it's dead or throwing a code.

Took it back today and spoke with the technician. He seemed genuinely interested in fixing it (which is a refreshing change, btw) and when we looked up the TSB on his computer, we found a flow chart that basically asked "What is the last 5 digits of the CCPU version?", and if it's not 15128 (a.k.a. 3.8), apply the update. He seemed genuinely surprised when I showed him it was 12058 (a.k.a. 3.1.3). So once that happened, he realized that there was something not right, admitted that Fords can be hard to update sometimes, and asked me to bring it in.

Of course I agreed, knowing full well that the road to getting the Sync/MFT updated on this thing might be tough. But if I'm going to keep this thing for the foreseeable future, I want it working right, or at least as "right" as Generation 2 Sync can be...

Thanks for the feed back, all!

Well, I took it back to the dealer today. They had it all day. They were still not able to get the software updated. And on top of it, the navigation is now gone.

{sigh}

I should have left well enough alone.

It qualifies for the 12M02 warranty extension on the APIM. Anybody have any good ideas on how I can convince the service adviser to replace the APIM when the only issues present are occasional crashes, bad bluetooth performance, and failure of the display to show what's being played when my iPhone is connected via Bluetooth?

This sounds exactly like what happened to me. It took 3 visits. I ended up calling the vehicle technology team that gave me a case number and told the dealer to call them. It took a week, but after they finally replaced the APIM, the car updated. Which gave me the power flow and go times feature on the radio I didn't have.

Get in touch with the FordIVTteam over at fordsyncforum. They can help escalate the issue.
http://fordsyncforum.com/index.php?/user/42650-fordivtteam/

OK, so trip #3 to the dealer (they had it all day) is a bust. Nothing done. They are still trying to prove something to Ford so they can replace the APIM under 12M02. I did sign up on syncforums.com and posted info there.

So we'll try this again next week when I have availability again. :roll:

Trip #4: Took the car in yesterday. They had it all day and I just got it back this morning. They fixed the Navigation, but it still shows the old version of code.

The tech claims the proper version of code is loaded, but that the display in the car is not showing the proper version number.

I don't see a "leaf" icon at the bottom of the display, which to my knowledge is a dead giveaway that something newer than 3.1.3 is loaded.

I've had no response from anyone on the Sync forums from the IVT team. I guess my next move is to call Ford, but I'm not looking forward to that.

I can be happy, or I can be right. I'm leaning towards happy with what I've got, even if it's not right.

Did you call the ford team? Trust me, you want that leaf. The power flow is cool but really, the battery percentage is great information along with a ton of other information.

It was my APIM that wasn't allowing them to do the update. At this point, I would highly suggest you call the in-vehicle technology team. They gave me a case number and suggested to have the dealer call them directly. Magically they fixed it.

As a matter of fact, I did. I went in on Friday but the SA was not there.

I will try again today and hope that they don't give me too much guff.

Did you have to get tough with your service advisor? Or was he/she willing to see the issue through to completion without much drama?

Thanks,

My APIM also needed replacing to take the update, which is exactly what FSA 12M02 is designed to cover under warranty. The service advisor I dealt with was extremely knowledgeable of SYNC technologies and we had detailed discussions about the problems and processes required to solve them. He was aware of my technical understanding and competencies, and my passion getting the issue resolved. I expressed my frustrations with the communications between Ford and the Dealers, and he made several extra efforts, without my need to initiate, to get things done.

I hope you can find a dealer/advisor who is this cooperative.

stargazer said:
As a matter of fact, I did. I went in on Friday but the SA was not there.

I will try again today and hope that they don't give me too much guff.

Did you have to get tough with your service advisor? Or was he/she willing to see the issue through to completion without much drama?

Thanks,

I had such a hard time the first time I actually had to switch dealers. My first dealer, where I purchased the car would lie to me about updates and blame the modem on my phone (even though there was a recall due to AT&T turning off edge).

The second dealer was much easier to deal with on this but it still wasn't a walk in the park. 2 separate visits and 1 week without my car and it was fixed.

Finally I have progress! The SA contacted Ford and found that my car falls under and expired FSA 13A01. In a nutshell, there's a specific procedure required for these specific cars (2012-2013 Focus Electrics) and basically if the tech doesn't follow it to the letter, the APIM will still have 3.1.3. You can read for yourself the gory details:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM503575/SB-10052192-7509.pdf

Will likely be scheduling the car in next week as I have family in this week. More to come later...

stargazer said:
Finally I have progress! The SA contacted Ford and found that my car falls under and expired FSA 13A01. In a nutshell, there's a specific procedure required for these specific cars (2012-2013 Focus Electrics) and basically if the tech doesn't follow it to the letter, the APIM will still have 3.1.3. You can read for yourself the gory details:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM503575/SB-10052192-7509.pdf

Will likely be scheduling the car in next week as I have family in this week. More to come later...

Wow, what a GREAT find, stargazer. I know my dealer said he went through a big process to finally get the APIM to upgrade to 3.8, now I see why.

I brought the car in on Wednesday. They had it all day Wednesday and Thursday. When I went to pick it up, they seemed frustrated and apparently now a Field Service Engineer is getting involved. Anyone know what that means? Obviously, they were still unable to get things going even with the 13A01 FSA. :roll:

Wow, I can't believe how slowly this has gone. I finally got confirmation that the Field Service Engineer will be coming on the 22nd of June. Hopefully this individual will be able to figure this out. I'll post back once that's done. Crossing fingers, toes and eyes at this point... :roll:

I can't believe how clueless Ford dealers are about this. They're great cars but Ford wants nothing to do with them. I hope they wake up soon as I will consider another brand next time for these reasons.

Back